Anyone up for a challenge?

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

It’s to find a Maurice Gun(n)e born or baptised around 1576.

The first name could be spelled Morris or Morrice and the surname Goone.

It is claimed on an Ancestry tree that he is the son of William and Elizabeth Gunn and was born 1576 at Great Easton, Essex.

Fact: I’ve established that a Maurice Gunn married Pernell (or Parnill) Enever 18 June 1604 at Great Easton, on Ancestry’s Essex PR Index the surname Enever was spelled Ebener.

The Tree claims the children of William and Elizabeth Gunn, all born/baptised at Great Easton, are: -
    Henry 1571.
    Samuel 1575.
    Maurice 1576.
    Alexander March 1577.
    Augustine 17 Jun 1580.
    Daniel 16 Dec 1583.
    I found the last three children but not the first three, the surnames of the three I found were spelled Goone.

In the EPRI on Ancestry I found the burial of a Maurice Gun at Thaxted, Essex 16 Feb 1654, unfortunately no other info was attached to the entry and no image available.

I have not found the marriage of the parents William and Elizabeth Gunn said to be about 1570 at Gt Easton, so could be sus, to me it doesn't matter who his parents were once I have their names I can look to find them.

The tree claims William is the son of William and Unknown Gun and he was born about 1540 at Gt Easton.

I have tried an all counties search on Free Reg, Family Search and the EPRI plus the other search on Ancestry, no Maurice.

I would have thought that Maurice was the figment of someone’s imagination but for the fact that I’ve found the marriage of Maurice and Pernell and the three children baptised 1577 to 1583 and that you would expect a father to have a son named after him.

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Couldn't find anything on FMP Derek.:(

Findem likes this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for trying Sis, just been looking at some more trees regarding the Gunns, some of them are bordering on fantasy :sceptical: and many are definitely just copying other peoples work.

Sis likes this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I know, looking at a heap of trees for one of mine I thought I'll try and find out who was the original person to find out the detail. I gave up there was heaps of trees and each gave the source as Ancestry trees!:eek::eek::headbang::headbang:

Findem likes this.
  5. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I had a go, but couldn't read most of it - really Olde English. Certainly didn't see a baptism for him. I think I found the one for Alexander and worked back from there.

Findem likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

FAmily search have that image- nothing more on him that I saw. Eyes a bit unawake yet.

They also have a burial for a Mary wife of Maurice Gunn, so there were a few Gunn families about.
    27 Nov 1639
    Essex, England, United Kingdom
    Female
    Spouse's Name: Maurice Gun

Archie's Mum and Findem like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Maurice Gunn son of Maurice Gunn and Parnill Enever was apparently born about 1605. He was a constable and juror 1609-11. How he accomplished this at age 4 is beyond me. Perhaps these occupations were of his father Maurice Snr.
    He is said to have married Mary Newman who died in 1639.
    There is a death of a Maurice Gunn in Thaxted in 1654.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Dunno what happened there I hit post reply and the rest of the post just disappeared. o_O

10. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Fortunately I had copied the afore mentioned post onto a Word document so I'll try again.

Just for the record, Mary was buried in Great Easton.

I've found Gunn people related to my lot in: Little and Great Easton, Lt and Gt Dunmow, Henham, Gt Burstead, Thaxted, Stebbing and Debden. Also found the odd one or two in other places who I think are related but I've been unable to prove it with certainty or a great deal of work and in the end wouldn't help. I daresay there are others in the same general area as those I've listed but didn't fall within the parameters I was searching.

A big problem is the the two Maurices, either one or both, father and son, they could have come from one of the counties bordering Essex, or even further afield, which are not covered fully by any of the online sites.

The following is the Gunn succession baptisms according several trees on Ancestry:

William Gun c1510 Gt Easton (Not Found), wife unknown.
    William Gunn c1540 Gt Easton (Not Found), wife Elizabeth Unknown.
    *Maurice Gunn c1576 Gt Easton (Not Found), wife Parnill or Pernell Enever.
    *Maurice Gunn c1606 Gt Easton (Not Found), wife Mary Newman.
    *William Gunn 3/6/1632 Gt Easton, wife Susan Chissell.
    Daniell Gunn 22/12/1670 Henham, wife Susannah Claidon.
    Danniell Gunn 24/2/1698 Henham, wife Mary Unknown.
    Mary Gun (my ancestor) 6/6/1721 Gt Easton married Thomas Searles 17/10/1745 at Stebbing, Essex.

Maurice Gunn married Pernell Enever 18 Jun 1604 Gt Easton.
    Maurice Gunn married Mary Newman 23 Jun 1625 Gt Easton.
    William Gunn married Susan Chissell 13 Dec 1660 Gt Easton.
    Daniel Gunn married Susanna Claidon 6 Nov 1693 Debden.

* I could replace these with other Gunns whose baptisms I've found and are linked but currently I'm hesitant to do so, I need to locate the two Maurices to see if they really are ancestors. Anyway at least I can trace my Gunns with reasonable confidence back to 1632 which is great.

The baptisms and marriages with full dates are those I've found.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2019 at 6:42 AM
  11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Oh dear! it was there the first time, it's one of those you have to click to see everything, I forgot. :oops:

Fixed it ;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

If, as the trees on Ancestry suggest, Maurice Gunn senior was born about 1576 he would have been about 33 in 1609, so pretty safe to say he was the Maurice Gunn Constable and Juror.

What beats the hell out of me is the fact that I can't find even just one of the last three of the four events I've marked "Not found", you would expect at least one to turn up on Ancestry's EPRI, if not on any of the other sources I've checked.

I must get in touch with the Archivists at the ERO and ask if they know of any parishes, or part of, which were missed out in the Index. Have to back track on my posts because I recall there was another query I was going to raise with the Archivists.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just to punish myself I'm going to ignore what I've seen on Ancestry trees regarding my gun families and start from scratch from Mary Gun who married my ancestor Thomas Searle 13 Oct 1745 at Stebbing, Essex. I'm curious to see what I come up with and how far I can go back, I've found a wealth of Guns on Ancestry's EPRI, Free Reg have plenty, I suppose it's a question of what don't they have. :D

Sis likes this.
  14. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I wrote the above yesterday but when I went into this topic today there it was unposted o_O :D

15. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Gun family first road block

I’m finding it difficult to work out this family.

A while back finding Mary Gun born 1721 at Gt Easton, parents Daniel and Mary Gun wasn’t too bad after finding her in the Thaxted Quaker Meeting records and working out that her place of abode, Much Ashen, was in fact Much (Great) Easton.

Then comes the Road Block, as far as I know Mary was the first-born child of Daniel & Mary Gun, I have searched Ancestry, Free Reg, Family Search, FMP and The Genealogist and could not find the marriage of a Daniel Gun to a Mary 1721 or earlier.

That begs the question how the devil could the Tree owners on Ancestry work out that Daniel’s parents were Daniel Gunn and Susan Claidon who married 6 Nov 1693 at Debden, Essex”.
    The marriage might have been in some village outside the main Gun haunts, even in another county. Come to that Daniel might not even have links to the Henham, Debden, the Eastons etc area.

The Daniel Gun born 1698 in Henham, son of Daniel Gun and Susan Claidon obviously fits the bill to marry a Mary 1719ish, there's no denying it but how can anyone put it in black and white and say it is so, beats me.

I’m thinking that those trees have more than their fair share of fiction in them.

Sis and Jellylegs like this.