Ardleigh

Discussion in 'Essex' started by AnnB, Jan 5, 2020.

1. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I am doing some research into a friend's family and this is based mainly in Suffolk. However, I have come across a removal order for a branch of the family which says they 'belonged to Ardleigh, Essex'. So, I have been looking through the Ardleigh PR's on Seax and came across a 'census', taken by the Vicar, in 1796. For anyone with Ardleigh ancestors, this would be invaluable - naturally it doesn't include the family I am looking for :sceptical:
    The Vicar has written this to explain his reasons for compiling the 'census'
    In consequence of the avowed intention of the French to make a descent upon this Coast as communicated by the Minister to Parliament, I have thought it my duty to number my Parishioners, which I have done by a domiciliary visitation, that in the event of an actual Invasion, such a List may be useful, either to assemble us in order to make a resistance, or in case of dispersion, to enable us, upon our return, to discover and ascertain our respective claims to settlement.
    John Thelby

Vicarage House Oct. 13th 1796

Oh that other vicars were so diligent :rolleyes:
    Edit, if you want to see the list of parishioners you'll find it transcribed at
    Code:
    https://historyhouse.co.uk/placeA/essexa06e.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

what a great find shame your people were not there

AnnB likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

What a good work by the Vicar. ;)

AnnB and Jellylegs like this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for that site Ann, although as far as I know I don't have any ancestor connection with Ardleigh at that time, 1796, I did pick up on a couple of names I will check up on in both my records and perhaps in the Essex Parish Register Index on Ancestry.
    Daniel Tibbalds aged 19 a lodger.
    Elizabeth Gunn aged 17 a servant with the Biggs (Innkeeper) family.

You never know do you, they could be related.

AnnB likes this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Derek, that site is one which I 'found' ages ago but promptly forgot all about :rolleyes: It was only when I was looking to see if there was a transcription on-line of the Ardleigh 'census' that I rediscovered it :)

It would be great if you found a connection with Daniel and Elizabeth.

Findem likes this.