Astill - Gardener and Cook at East Haddon Hall / Bray's Manor, Northants.

Discussion in 'Domestic Staff' started by erica, Aug 10, 2019.

1. erica

erica New Member

Hi,
    Is there any way I can find records of the staff in East Haddon Hall, Northamptonshire, in the 18th / early 19th century, or possibly Bray's Manor which was the original building on the site before 1780?

My family have always talked about our ancestors, from the Astill family, (Melbourne, Derbyshire and Leicester), who were cook and gardener at Haddon Hall. They believed it to be the Haddon Hall near Bakewell but I have been unable to find any evidence at all for this.

However, I have now traced the Astill family back to the village of East Haddon near Northampton, around 1710, where there is an East Haddon Hall. This may not be the correct family but it seems much more likely and a huge coincidence if not! Unfortunately, parish records do not seem to give occupations and I have now hit a brick wall!

I would be grateful for any ideas on how to move forward with this research.

Many thanks,
    Erica.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Erica,

Have you contacted the East Haddon History Society? They have some information about the Hall:

Code:
    http://www.ehhs.org.uk/page163.html
    Failing that, they might know how to put you in touch with the Hall's archivist - if there is one! ;)

3. erica

erica New Member

Hi, yes I did contact the EHHS but they said they were unable to help! I will contact them again to see if there is an archivist for the Hall.
    Thank you.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

According to a 2014 You Tube video, a Jo Walker is the Head Steward of Haddon Hall.
    Address is : The Estate Office, Haddon Hall, Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45 1LA
    Phone 01629 812855
    or if your really cheeky drop a line to the current occupier Lord Edward Manners, you never know your luck !