Bacon/Roberts Marriage

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Paul Roberts, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts New Member

Hi

I am struggling to find a marriage between Edward Bacon and Mary Roberts. I believe the marriage would have been around 1891 in the Hastings area. Edward Bacon also used the name Albert. They had a son Frederick in Hastings in 1896.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Paul

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Paul - welcome to the forum. :)

Hmmm... I have not been able to find it either. I did find the birth registration of Frederick (March Q 1897, volume b, page 34) but that's not much help, is it? :(

What other children did they have and when/where born?

Just a thought... Mary wasn't married before was she? If so, Roberts would not be the name under which she married Edward/Albert if that was her maiden name...

3. Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts New Member

Jan

Edward Bacon is the brother of Charles Bacon who was mentioned in the Mears/Deacon thread. Mary is my 2 x grandmother and the family story is she came over from Ireland and took the name Roberts (Original name is unknown). She had my Great Grandfather Thomas Roberts and the family story says Jumping Jack Harris was his father (There is no birth certificate for Thomas either but on the 1911 census it states he was born in Maresfield) and then she got with Edward Bacon and had Frederick. My family are Romany Gypsies so surnames and first names change on a regular basis!!! which makes searching a real joy

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Found the census (Ref: RG14, PN5328, RG78, PN238, RD84, SD1, ED9, SN176) and it says that Thomas was born about 1882 as he is aged 29.

Do you have a copy of the book My Ancestors were Gypsies by Sharon Sillers Floate? If you haven't, it could be worth laying your hands on a copy. It is available from the Society of Genealogists:
    Code:
    http://www.sog.org.uk/books-courses/books-publications/my-ancestors-were-gypsies

5. Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts New Member

Thanks Jan I will have a look at that. I have managed to gain a lot of information in regards to my family but this marriage certificate is a real stumbling block. In the 1911 census his wife Lizzie is a Deacon and i am waiting for John Deacon to come back on line as i believe we are related

Paul

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hi Paul have you tried starting a conversation with John. This will generate an email which will be sent to him. If you have only replied to his post, he won't see it until he next logs in.

Paul Roberts likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

1901 census shows the family in Bexhill, Sussex (RG13/875, folio 88, page 55) living in Caravans Braggs Lane:

Edward BACON Head M 30? Licensed Hawker Sussex Hastings
    Mary do Wife M 31 do do do Burgess Hill
    Fred do Son S 4 do Hastings
    Samuel COOPER Orphan S 7 do Lewes

Just in case you do not already have it.

Marriage registration on the GRO Index in the June qtr 1904 at East Preston reg district for a Lizzie DEACON and one of the other names on the page is that of Thomas ROBERTS. This may clarify his father's name, but on the other hand he may not know it anyway.

Janet

8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Thomas ROBERTS & wife Lizzie are on the 1939 register living in Worthing - available to view for a price on FindmyPast. This should give you his date of birth and maybe more information about him and wife Lizzie.

Half brother Fred BACON's First World War record is also on FMP but does not give you much extra information.

I, too, have been unable to find the marriage record of Edward BACON & Mary nor a birth or baptismal record for Thomas ROBERTS so far.

Janet

9. Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts New Member

Janet

Thanks for your information. I have my great grandparents Lizzie Deacon and Thomas Roberts marriage certificate. Thomas states his father is Edward Roberts but i believe this is incorrect. I think he has just used Edward Bacon first name as in 1904 his mother Mary was already married to Edward Bacon and i know Edward took Thomas on as his own son. My Dad's cousin used to visit the Bacon family when they moved to Timbercroft Lane in Plumstead. The family mystery is why Mary took the name Roberts in the first place and moved from Ireland through Wales to East Sussex and married into and lived the Travellers life.

The search goes on!!!