Baldwin Meadom

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by MollyMay, Jun 28, 2020.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Easy, so I thought:rolleyes::eek:

Here is what I have on Baldwin Meadom

1841 census HO107 piece47 book7 folio8 page11 in Ashley Green Buckinghamshire b1836 with him is Amos Meadom (brother?) age 3 born Buckinghamshire
    1851 HO107/1717/245/2 Ley Green b1836 Chesham Buckinghamshire a servant as Baldwin Meadom
    1854 he marries Mary Maydom - d/o Benjamin and Martha [Elbourn] of Ashley Green.
    1861 RG09/846/21/10 in Ley Green, Ashley Green with Mary and children as Baldwin Maydom b1836 Chesham
    1871 RG10/1394/31/6/ in Ley Green, Ashley Green a widower with his children as Baldwin Meadow b 1835 Chesham
    1881 RG11/1334/40/21 in Ruislip Middlesex, with daughters Isabella and Emma and Isabella's son Arthur as Balding Meadem b1840 Chesham (Isabella marries in Ruislip in 1881)

He then vanishes until 1911 when he is an inmate in Amersham workhouse b1831 Lye Green, as Baldwin Meadham
    and died 1912 age 81 (b1831) as Baldwin Meadham

Can anyone fill in the gaps - 1891 and 1901 and his parentage, is Amos his brother?

Thanks.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I don't usually take notice, but a tree on ancestry has Baldwin & Amos along with all of the other children on 1841 census plus step children as Redding with Fanny & Matthew a publican. Baldwin's father named as John Meadom -mother Frances Thorne. (I've just spent time looking for a Lady of same name in Kent 178-90s)
    So I went looking on Ancestry MArriages etc.
    Name: John Maydom
    Burial Date: 21 Jul 1840
    Burial Place: Chesham, Buckingham, England
    FHL Film Number: 1999163
    Reference ID: item 2
    Name: Matthew Redding + Frances Meadom
    Registration Year: 1840
    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration district: Aylesbury
    Matthew Redding 30
    Fanny Redding 35
    Lydia Redding 10
    Joseph Redding 8
    Mary Redding 6
    Daniel Meadow 12
    James Meadow 10
    Catherine Meadow 71
    Baldwin Meadow 5
    Amos Meadow 3
    Source Citation
    Class: HO107; Piece: 47; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Chesham; County: Buckinghamshire; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 7; Page: 10; Line: 18

Not found on missing census yet

Elsiesgirl, MollyMay and Sis like this.
  3. MollyMay

Thank you Wendy (I knew as soon as I let my Anc sub go, I would need it again:mad:).

That certainly ties up Baldwin's start in life.

Now to find out where he vanishes to for 20+ yearso_O

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This ain't going to help you with his missing years, but a couple of snippets....

Uxbridge and West Drayton Gazette 20th December 1879
    Chesham Petty Sessions Dec. 17th
    Baldwin Maydom was charged by Inspector John Hall, who was instructed by the authorities of the Kingwood Reformatory School, near Bristol, with neglecting to comply with an order made upon him on the 17th Sept. last, to pay 1s per week for the support of his son, William Maydom. Defendant did not appear. P.C. Tapping, 113, proved the service of the summons, and said defendant told him he was under the impression that he was to pay quarterly, which he intended to do. Defendant's daughter appeared, and tendered 10s, the amount of arrears claimed, but was not prepared to pay the costs, which was 16s 4d, in consequence of which the Bench made an order for the payment of arrears and costs, allowing 14 days to pay it in; in default a distress warrant would be issued.

Bucks Herald 3rd July 1880
    Thomas Venn was fined 10s for having been drunk and disorderly in Windsor-street, on Saturday night, and John Jones and Baldwin Medham were each fined a similar amount for like offences Ruislip.

I can only come to the conclusion that Baldwin wasn't in the UK for those missing years - but then I can't find him anywhere else either :mad:

There are marriages on Ancestry for Rose Meedham, father Baldwin, in 1887 at Stoke next Guildford and Emma Maydom, father Baldwin, in 1881 at Ruislip. Do you have them, do you want them.......

Elsiesgirl, Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  5. MollyMay

Thanks Ann,

Baldwin's daughter Isabella is my OH's line, and I have her sorted, so decided it was time to look at her extended family, started with Baldwin (thinking he would be easy - I really should know better:rolleyes:).

Windsor Street is in Uxbridge (and I bet I know which pub they were drinking in!), so it looks like, from the newspaper reports Baldwin stayed around the Ruislip area.
    I have not looked for Isabella's siblings yet, so anything found is welcome.

Oh no! now Meedham to add to the list!

Elsiesgirl, Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Bits I picked up while looking- hoping to fin him with marrried children -or not.:-
    Name: Amos Maydam [Fold3]
    Pension Admission or Examination Age: 40
    Birth Year: abt 1838
    Birth Place: Chesham, Warwick
    Pension Admission or Examination Date: 19 Nov 1878
    Regiment: 41st Foot
    Regimental Number: 1449
    Name: Rose Meedham
    Marriage Age: 31
    Record Type: Marriage
    Birth Year: abt 1856
    Marriage Date: 28 Apr 1887
    Marriage Place: Stoke Next Guildford, St John the Evangelist, Surrey, England
    Parish as it Appears: Stoke Next Guildford
    Father: Baldwin Meedham
    Spouse: John Hawkins
    Source Citation
    Surrey History Centre; Woking, Surrey, England; Surrey Church of England Parish Registers; Reference Number: STK/2/7
    Name: William Maydom [Fold3 ]
    Enlistment Age: 19
    Birth Date: abt 1865
    Birth Place: Chesham Bucks
    Enlistment Year: 1884
    Regiment: the Kings Royal Rifle Corps
    Regimental Number: KRR/1647
    Attestation Paper: Yes
    Census records proved lacking.

Elsiesgirl and MollyMay like this.
  7. MollyMay

Thank you Wendy():-), that is a great help - I am going to try and find the rest of Baldwins children today, in the hope he is with them on the missing census, from what Ann found in the papers he was not a law abiding soul and it seems William had a brush with the law too.

Elsiesgirl and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I've had no luck finding him on the census either :(

He's not with his daughter Emma and her family.

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  9. MollyMay

Thanks for looking, @Jellylegs he does just seem to vanish at census time. Even with all the variations in his names he should be findable (? if there is such a word) if he is on the census.

Jellylegs likes this.
  10. MollyMay

OK I give up on Baldwin, but can anyone help find his sons? (his daughters I have dealt with).

John Meadom birth reg June qtr 1860
    1861 census as Maydon RG09/846/21/10 - Ley Green, Ashley Green
    he then vanishes until he pops up again as a single shoe maker in Amersham
    1891 RG12/1129/24/18 the head of the household is Jane King
    1901 Jane is at the same address, no John but
    Dec qtr 1901 John Maydon/w marries Jane King in Amersham (3a 1286)
    1911 see the couple together married 10 years at Jane's address (5 Townfield Yard Chesham) surname Megdon on FMP
    1929 John dies Amersham 3a 1734 age 68
    So where is he 1871 & 1881 and 1901?

William b1865 I have with family 1871, then in the Kingswood Reform School 1879, that Ann found in the newspaper (post #4) and then in the army that Ma found (post #6).
    Can anyone find him for me?

11. Jellylegs

There is a set of Army service records, which possibly relate to John (on FMP), though he could have been telling porkies about his age and name - see what you think.

He starts out as John SMITH (but comes up in a search as John MAYDON), but later on (quite a few pages) the surname SMITH is crossed out and MAYDON is added. Says born Middlesex but living in Chesham, married (though no details of marriage given). It is rather confusing, but it looks as though he signed up in 1903 - so doesn't really help with finding him in the census (though he does name a couple of regiments he previously belonged to).

He gives his occupation as a Bootmaker.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Jellylegs

The only other John I can find in 1871 is a John MAYDOM listed as a pauper in the Workhouse, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire. It looks as though he is with family (all have MAYDOM as the surname), though there is nothing to say the eldest two are his parents as they are all listed as paupers. All born Chesham, except for the youngest two who are listed as being born Berkhamstead.

James 40
    Ann 36
    John 11
    James 8
    Kate 5
    William 3
    Jane 1

13. Jellylegs

Oh, are they related somehow? When I looked for the one year old Jane, she pops up in 1881 in the household of Luke and Ann REDDING - listed as a daughter-in-law along with other MAYDOMs.

It is all rather confusing :confused:

Haven't you got anything easier for us @MollyMay ;)

14. MollyMay

I am not sure the Smith paperwork relates to John Mayon - he has a different service number and I think it it probably a case of incorrectly filed paperwork, although his wife is listed as living Townfield Yard but is called Jane Smith:eek: it certainly is a muddle.
    John Maydon is my man, although he has knocked a few years off of his age, it gives his pob as Loy Green (Lye Green) and names his wife as Jane at Townfield Yard.
    It looks like he was invalided out of the Oxforshire LI in 1903 and rejoined the militia in 1915, but was discharged as unfit again in 1916
    So like brother William he did spend time in the army, which probably expains the missing census entries.

Thanks Jellylegs{-(^^)-}

15. MollyMay

@Jellylegs - don't try and tell me you do not like a challenge:D

I came across the Meadoms in the workhouse, and intend to go back to them once I have sorted out Baldwin's lot. It seems the surname centred on Lye Green, Ashley Green. I still have to find the link with Baldwin's wife one Mary Maydon (father Benjamin) also of Ashley Green:eek:

Jellylegs likes this.
  16. Jellylegs

:D

MollyMay likes this.
  17. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

These must be lot Sue, a previous generation? Has James Baldwin's family got anything to do with where Baldwin got his name.....:reading: Or do you know of this already?

Bucks Chronicle 4th December 1861
    James Baldwin, Wm. Maydon, a soldier of the Royal Artillery on furlough at Ashley Green, and Emma Maydon, his sister, were charged with stealing a quantity of shawls, dress pieces, cloth, &c, at Ashley Green, on the 8th Nov., the property of a travelling draper named Killen,— The male prisoners were committed to prison to take their trial at the next Quarter Sessions, and the female was ordered to attend at the same time.

South Bucks Free Press 4th January 1862
    James Baldwin, labourer, and William Meadom labourer and private in the Royal Artillery, were charged with stealing two shawls, value £1, the property of John Killen, at Chesham, on the 9th of Nov. last; Emma Meadom was charged with receiving the above articles, knowing them to have been stolen. Mr Browne prosecuted; the prisoners were undefended. From the evidence adduced, it appeared that the prosecutor was a packman, and that he was at Chesham on the 8th of November last; about one o’clock he went into a beer-house, and Baldwin was there; prosecutor shortly afterwards left, and laid down by the side of the road, and went to sleep; on awaking, he found that his pack had been opened, and several articles taken therefrom; the missing articles were subsequently found in the possession of Emma Meadom, who said her brother had given them to her; her brother (the prisoner) said Baldwin gave them to him. After a careful summing up by the Chairman, the jury returned a verdict of guilty against the male prisoners, and not guilty against the female. Several former convictions having been proved against Baldwin, was he sentenced to ten years penal servitude, and to one months’ imprisonment.

18. MollyMay

Thanks Ann, they have to be part of the family:) - all I have got so far is that Baldwin was the son of John Meadom/Meadham and Frances Thorn[e]
    married 1827.

I am thinking sorting this lot out is going to be one hell of a task, when you take all ofthe variations of surname into account. What I wouldn't give for a copy of the PR's for Ashley Green/ Ley Green;)

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  19. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

To add what Wendy found in post 6, the Service record for William MAYDOM born near Chesham, aged 19 years 5 months, who enlisted in The Kings Royal Rifle Corps on 24 January 1884, mentions his father as Baldwin MAYDOM, his brother as John MAYDOM, and that he was abroad between September 1884 and December 1891 which would explain why we can't find him in the 1891 census at least. There is a Chelsea Pensioner record listing on Ancestry for him but the original is on Fold3 so no details. Still not having much success in finding him in subsequent census records though.

Janet

20. Jellylegs

I found William in 1881 at the Kingswood Reformatory School, Oldland, Gloucestershire - RG11/2447/68/41.

William MAYDON aged 16, born Ly Green (just in-case you hadn't got it).