Baptism Register help please.

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by The Artful Dodger, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Parts of the National Burial Index are on Findmypast, including entries from Bury St Edmunds. There is a burial for a James Reach in 1841 but he was 48 so too old to be the missing James.

Perhaps the one who died in 1841 is the schoolmaster who MollyMay found on the 1841 census. His wife, Elizabeth, had died in 1839: 'Yesterday (Tuesday) after a long and severe affliction, Elizabeth, the wife of Mr. James Reach, schoolmaster, of Southgate-street, in this town.' (Bury & Norwich Post, Wednesday 13 February 1839).

It's possible that he is also the James who had married in 1838, which would make this marriage very short-lived. If that's the case it seems likely that the children with him on the 1841 census are from an earlier marriage. Perhaps he's the one who was married to Sarah Elmer?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I think we can discount the marriage of James Reach and Sarah Elmer as it was on 24 Nov. 1817 - at which time my James was aged 13.

3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Colin, nobody is suggesting that your James married Sarah Elmer! And now I've studied a family tree on Ancestry I'm sure he's not the one who married in 1838 and died in 1841 either.

The public tree ('Izett Family Tree') has full details of the 1838 marriage from the marriage certificate: James was a widower, and shown as the son of Jacob Reach, innkeeper. According to the same tree, James' first wife was Sarah Elmer. The tree owner also gives details from James' death certificate. (What a refreshing change to see full source details in an Ancestry tree!)

So you can rule out that James as being yours. Sorry, I don't suppose that was the answer you wanted. :(

4. The Artful Dodger

Quite the reverse - it was the answer I expected.

5. The Artful Dodger

Thank you MollyMay for posts #39 & 40.

Thank you Huncamunca for post #43.

These posts serve to eliminate the marriage of 1838.

So I'm back to square one with James.

6. The Artful Dodger

As I stated my cousin was convinced that Isaac died in 1818 - now he's not so sure.

If Isaac died in Cambridge in 1836 and his baptism in 1762, his age should about 74. This is not that far out.

I have Joseph in 1841 census, so maybe Isaac and Martha had retired to Cambridge after Joseph had married and then Isaac died. Did Martha stay in Cambridge after the death of Isaac? I don't know and can't seem to account for her in 1841.

Not sure if anyone else has spotted her in 1841.

7. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

There is this in the 1851 census HO107 Piece 1792 Folio 100 Page 59

Martha Reach who is a widow living on Parochial Relief aged 83 living at No. 2 Alms Houses, West Gate Street, Bury St. Edmonds. Est. date of birth 1768. She gives her place of birth as Clare, Suffolk.

As we know Isaac Reach married Martha Green in 1793

There is a baptism for a Martha Green in Clare, Suffolk in 1768 with parents Daniel and Susannah.

If she was 83 in 1851 then she would be 89/90 in 1857

(Edited to show correct Baptism)

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    The Artful Dodger likes this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

Chimp you have found what had eluded me - her baptism. Where did you find it?

9. Chimp

I found it in the Record set of Suffolk Baptism Index (part 3) on FMP

There is no image just a transcription.

MARTHA GREEN
    Year Of Birth 1768
    Baptism: 28th February 1768 St. Peter & St. Paul, Clare, Suffolk
    Daughter of Daniel & Susannah Green
    Entry Number 8169

10. Chimp

Familysearch also have the entry but have transcribed the place as 'Claro'

Martha Green, Female
    Christening Date 28 Feb 1768, Claro, Suffolk
    Father: Daniel Green, Mother: Susannah Green
    Batch Number C01732-6, GS Film number 887388

There are several children to these parents.

11. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Family Search also have the marriage of Daniel GREEN and Susannah JEPP on 11th April 1751 in Clare.
    Batch number: M02016-3
    Film number: 887380

It would be worth ordering the film from your nearest Family History Centre as they also have Susannah's surname recorded as JESS. Seeing the microfilm, you would be able to make your own mind up as to what it says.

12. The Artful Dodger

One thing has struck me about about the 2 baptisms that took place in St. George in the East - Mary [4 May 1794] and Hannah [7 April 1799] and that is the dates. As a result, I am of the opinion that these 2 girls do not belong with my Isaac and Martha.

Conclusion - Isaac who died in 1818 is not my Isaac and so I'm concentrating on the 1836 death in Cambridge St. Giles.

13. The Artful Dodger

To me, anyway, it appears likely that during the 1830's Isaac and Martha along with several of their children were living in Cambridgeshire.

As of 1841 census:
    Martha - a daughter - bapt. 21 Dec. 1800 had married Thomas Jones 12 Jan 1826. In 1841 she and Thomas - no children - are found - H0107 Piece 85 Book 17 Folio 6 Page 6.

Joseph - a son - bapt. 18 Jul. 1810 had married Eliza Penteney 20 Oct. 1831. In 1841 he and Eliza with 2 sons - Joseph and Robert - are found - H0107 Piece 85 Book 15 Folio 9 Page 13.

William - a son - bapt. 13 Dec. 1812 had married Sarah Matthews Jan.-Mae. q. 1838 in Cambridgeshire vol. 14 page 6. In 1841 he and Sarah with 2 sons - William and Thomas - are found - H0107 Piece 86 Book 19 Folio 7 Page 10.