Barnet /Finchley area Middlesex

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Lindylou, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Lindylou

Lindylou Well-Known Member

Hello again,

I am now on another quest to find out about the Family of William (or FRANK) Whitby, as he was known to his Family. B. abt. 1899. In Barnet. They seem to have stayed around the Barnet/Finchley area of Middlesex. London u.k.

FRANK served in the Royal Engineers, in bomb disposal, in WW2. He was in Tubrook. There was also some mention of him being connected, somehow, to the Dam Busters.
    He was also a Bare Knuckle Boxer at some point.

His Father was John Whitby B. 1910. His Mother was Florence (Cann). He apparently had a brother Jack, who went to New Zealand, and another brother Richard, and sister Evie. I have only found a John B.1901 Phylis B.1912 Minnie B. 1914 Frank B.1915 Jessie B.1917 and Barbara B.1919 With mmn Cann.

He was married to Margaret (Moody) from, who's family ran a pub called
    "The Three Cranes" in Brick Lane, Whitechapel.
    Tier children were Norman who died at 6 months old. John B. ? and Alan who married Mary C. (or May) in 1955 in Barnet.

That is all I have at the moment. Hope that is enough for you all to get your teeth into.

All The Best to all you lovely people.
    Lindylou XXX

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have a look at the 1911 census and you will see John and Florence with their children John, Emily, Richard, Edith and Henry.

They are living at 4 Greta Terrace, Hutton Grove, North Finchley. :)
    RG14, PN7165, RD131, SD3, ED7, SN283

Lindylou likes this.
  3. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

It would seem that the original connection to the Three Cranes pub is from his mother’s family - Florence’s father John Cann was the landlord of the pub from at least between 1881 and 1895 according to pubshistoryDOTcom and Florence is residing there in 1881.

4. Lindylou

Lindylou Well-Known Member

Thank you Jan and Eve.

Silly me ! :confused: I had obviously got a bit mixed up with the two families, and wrote the pub under the wrong name. All the information I have so far is from what my future Son-in Law has been telling me. I can now understand how easily it would have been for the people collecting information for the censuses, to hear things wrong, or write them in the wrong column.

I was hoping to find a picture of the pub as it was when the family lived there. Unfortunately it is now an estate agent, and all the pictures I have found so far have shown it as a bit delapidated in the past, after it closed as a pub.

I also found the "pubshistory.com" site, Just before I read your mail Eve ;) through another site called "London Pubology" I then looked at "Wikipedia Pub Names", which is very interesting. It tells you the history of why how pubs got their names. Although I couldn't seem to find this one on there.

I am hoping to find out more about William?FRANK WHITBY, and his time in the Royal Engineers, and his family. He apparently had just Frank Whitby on his death certificate. Also looking for families before him. One of the family was awarded the George cross. FRANK's Brother JACK went to NEW ZEALAND.

Also curious to know, when the Whitby's first moved to the Barnet/Finchley area, as there seem to be quite a few of them from the Free BMD records. So hard to know who are the right one's.
    MAY (or MARY C. Gibson) was from Dublin, she was married to ALLEN WHITBY
    I have also found a
    The family also lived at 22 Hutton grove for a long time.

Would appreciate anything you may be able to find :)
    Thank You
    Lindylou XXX

5. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

I looked for a photo too, but only modern day ones available and a sorry sight it is - barely any resemblance to pub premises. I thought I’d found one but sadly it was for one of the same name in upper Thames Street ☹️
    I’m fairly familiar with the Barnet/Finchley area as it is where I was born and brought up, so may be able to help with locations if necessary.

Lindylou likes this.