Bathsheba Jelbert

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Peregrine, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Bathsheba Jelbert married Thomas Care on 6 Feb 1766 at Madron and, as a widow, she married Charles Allen on 1 Nov 1771 at Lelant. I have not found the death of Thomas Care but other trees have him dying in 1771. She died in Apr 1803 and was buried at Uny Lelant on 11 Apr 1803.

I found a baptism for Bathsheba Jelbert at Madron on 8 Jan 1748 (note: Julian Calendar) who was the daughter of John Jelbert. However, I found in another tree another Bathsheba, the daughter of Jeremiah Jelbert and Jane Prose, who was baptised 29 Jun 1744 at Madron, note however her name was given as Beersheba.

Consequently, I am having trouble figuring out which one married Thomas and Charles. I note that amongst the children of Bathsheba and Charles there is a son named Jeremiah which means I am inclined to think that the elder 1744 Bathsheba, daughter of Jeremiah is more likely. Also as Thomas Care was born 1737 I am inclined to think it more likely that he married 1744 Bathsheba.

Can anyone help me determine the correct Bathsheba please?

2. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

I don't think you will for certain :(
    These old marriages don't have details for parents etc as a rule - but it might be worth just checking the register images (and any Banns too if they exist). I will have a squizz at them dreckly.
    Had a quick look for Thomas' burial but no luck in Madron. He may of course have lived elsewhere and been buried there, but I couldn't find any suitable burials at all. A fairly odd surname for Cornwall too...

Assuming I find nothing in the registers, I think your assumptions are the most likely ones.

Peregrine likes this.
  3. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

No revelations in the banns/marriage register I am afraid.

If it is of any use, the witnesses were a Henry? LUGG and a Jane LAWRY - they may be relatives of Bathsheba if you are really, really lucky!

I think you are correct with the older Bathsheba though. If you look at the younger one, and assume she was baptised soonish after birth, she would be 18 or so - and thus technically a "minor". A look at other entries shows me that the Reverend Borlase note "with consent of parents" or similar when involving minors....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Ma-dotcom and Peregrine like this.
  4. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

She would have actually been 17, as her birth year in Gregorian calendar is 1749. So the good Reverend should definitely have added his note for her!! ;)

5. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Some of the ministers I have come across over the years would have added a half page on her!

Does tend to support the slightly older lady though.

Peregrine likes this.