Beadles

Discussion in 'Other Occupations & Trades' started by Daft Bat, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Burt wrote on the other thread: I have found two more children for William and Adah Flint,including Caroline.
    Tower Hamlets, Christchurch with St Mary and St Stephen.
    1820 Oct 29 Amelia d William & Addah Flint, Norton Folgate, Beadle
    1820 Oct 29 Caroline d William & Addah Flint, Norton Folgate, Beadle

I've come to this late but I don't think Amelia's marriage has been mentioned before (apologies if I'm wrong). Ancestry London marriages Amelia Flint and John Moore 21st March 1854, St John Bethnal Green. Amelia calls her father a Beadle.

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser 13th January 1816
    T. Green was indicted for the wilful murder of Eliz. Martin, by throwing her out of a window two stories high, by which her skull was fractured.
    W. Flint, Beadle of Norton-falgate, apprehended the prisoner on Saturday the 23rd of December, at 11 o'clock at night, at the New Crown, Wheeler-street, Spitalfields. He heard the woman was dead, but he knew nothing of the circumstance himself.

The above would point to William being a Parish Beadle ie a sort of policeman, rather than working for a livery company.

Half Hour, Daft Bat and Flook like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Flint saga is coming back to me now - I remember the book called 'Searcher' which mentioned William Flint the Beadle. So, the problem remains - where does the occupation of plumber come into it.....

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Exactly.... :headbang:

AnnB likes this.
  5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Plumber comes up also on the baptism of Richard Alexander, as Ann found in the previous thread (post #48)
    upload_2019-3-11_8-37-10.png

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

It's interesting and you can never rule out an honest mistake in a register. On the other hand Norton Folgate was a pretty small area and I wonder if you wouldn't have to have another job to make a living wage.

There's an interesting article which has photos of Norton Folgate's Beadles' staffs and excerpts from the minute books at Tower Hamlets Local History Library - and a map of the area.

Code:
    http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/04/12/the-relics-of-norton-folgate/

AnnB, MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Could "Plumber" be referring to the Company he was a member of, rather than his actual occupation?

Daft Bat likes this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I am now wondering if there were two completely different families of William and Adah FLINT - one who was a plumber and the other a Beadle - who had children of the same name as well.... :headbang::headbang::headbang:

9. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I had missed MollyMay's post 23 on the other thread that gives William Flint's occupation as a plumber. I like that a lot.

Code:
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol27/pp178-184#fnn52
    In this article there is a reference to a Joseph Worrall>

The Joseph Worrall of White’s Row, carpenter, who was elected headborough in April 1792 was perhaps also a relation.

As we know from Old Bailey Online that William was the Norton Folgate Headborough, this entry shows that a 'tradesman' could be elected to that office (I think Worrall was the Headborough of Christ Church Vestry, Spitalfields, right next to Norton Folgate). Whether you could be Headborough and still carry on your trade isn't clear, but clearly one wouldn't exclude the other at different times.

10. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I am currently trying to sort a family just like that... every generation for about 4 generations had the same names, often in the same birth years, and all large families..usually 8 or more.... Example 3 cousins all named Frederick, 2 born in 1835 and one in 1829. I was sure I had the right one for my immediate ancestors and then, after finding all census records etc. found out it was a cousin.:mad:

Chimp, Flook and Daft Bat like this.