Beatrice Clarissa Wilson

Discussion in 'London' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 16, 2019.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Daughter of Ezekiel Christmas Wilson and Elizabeth Lazell, born 1866 in Bow, London -- registered in Poplar Oct-Dec 1866, no baptism found

1871 -- Silvertown (with parents) RG10: 1630: 14: 26
    1875 -- admitted to St Pauls School, dob 26 May 1866 (which I doubt given when she was registered but possible)
    1881 -- Deptford St Paul (a servant) RG11: 715: 82: 40
    1891 -- Camberwell (with parents) RG12: 476: 90: 12
    1901 -- not found
    1909 -- 22 Feb, married to George Buckridge at Camberwell Christ Church
    1909 -- 19 Mar, son George Frederick is born
    1911 -- she has knocked 5 years off her age in Camberwell RG14; Piece: 2581

her son is marked as cripple on the 1911, and later that year is admitted to the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital, where he is treated for deformities to hands and feet, he stays 54 days and is discharged as 'relieved'

her husband (a slater) dies in Jul-Sep 1912, her father Ezekiel (a bricklayer) dies Sep 1912; her father in law Charles dies Jan-Mar 1915

The next piece I found was her son's admission to Southwark workhouse in 1925 age 16, his next of kin is given as his grandmother (his paternal grandmother had died a couple of months before this, his maternal grandmother was still alive). From the workhouse he was sent to Chailey School, which is near Lewes in Sussex (and specifically for disabled children, and sounds like a good place)

I don't know why he wasn't with his mother, and I don't know where she was, perhaps she had gone away to find work (?)

Beatrice turns up in Camberwell again, and as Beatrice C Buckeridge marries a John Donovan in 1927, she dies in Lewes in Mar 1958

Not sure yet when her second husband died, but she might be the widowed Beatrice Donovan of private means, dob 22 Sep 1866, in Lexden and Winstree, Essex

In case you are worrying about her disabled son, as I did, please don't, in 1939 he is a grill cook in Lambeth, he goes on to marry and have four children, and dies in King's Langley, Hertfordshire in 1975, I think he did ok

So my questions are (1) can anyone find Beatrice in 1901 and (2) is that 1939 her?

Nightryder and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This looks like she with Sister Florence:
    But I'm wrong... different Mother :(
    1901 England Census
    Name: Beatrice Wilson
    Estimated birth year: abt 1885 xx
    Relation to Head: Sister-in-law
    Birth Place: Bow, London, England
    Civil Parish: St Mary Stratford Bow

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The only possible person that I can find in 1901 is a Beatrice OBrian, born 1867, Bow.

Living with a Michael OBrian (enumerated as his wife) and two children, Beatrice F (7) and Violet F (4) at 3 Carpenter's Place, Camberwell.

RG13/509/58/34

Her occupation is a "washer" - pretty much the same as in the 1891 census where she was a laundry maid / washer.

I cannot find any of them in a later census or birth registrations for the two girls. Neither can I find a marriage.

Probably just grasping at straws.

AnnB and mugwortismy cat like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

More straws being clutched but Beatrice Frances Wilson Greenwich jun 1895 and Violet Fenn Wilson Wandsworth Dec 1897....no O’Brian.

5. mugwortismy cat

Thank you all :)

@Ma-dotcom I was excited and then disappointed by the same census o_O

@Jellylegs that looks interesting, and I shall look into it

@Archie's Mum thank you. I shall see where it leads me

Jellylegs, AnnB, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  6. mugwortismy cat

Unfortunately I've checked the GRO indexes and mmn are given as Braun and Barnes for these two, so that doesn't help :(

Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. mugwortismy cat

Well, I don't know what to think. It certainly looks as though this is my Beatrice Clarissa Wilson, but ...

initial searching is going nowhere but depressing circles; which St Georges was Michael O'Brian born in c1861, I've tried St George in the East, St George Hanover Square, and St George Southwark. A tantalising Michael Brian turns up in 1871 saying born c1862 St George in the East, but then I can't see him again ...

and those girls births are just not registered under any name known to us; and since they should both be registered in Camberwell I tried searching with no surname, but none of the possible births I found for Beatrice F match surnames with those I found for Violet F. if they are registered outside Camberwell, blast, I have no energy to look, maybe Lambeth is possible (?)

I shall leave this right now and try one of Beatrice's siblings and hope they are straightforward. Then I'll come back and make a thorough survey of Michael O'Brians ... or maybe not ...

8. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

did you discount the Beatrice Wilson b 1866 says born Chelsea? a servant in ashton Keynes in 1901

9. mugwortismy cat

Yes I think she is the Beatrice Wilson born in Hammersmith, though I could be wrong

10. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I think I spotted her in 1911 still single. Too early in the morning to look again. Perhaps later, lots on today.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  11. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

yes think your right still single and a Ladies Maid in Knightsbridge!

mugwortismy cat and Archie's Mum like this.
  12. mugwortismy cat

Since I have found a sister in the same area at that time, I have decided that that 1939 Register in Lexden is my Beatrice

Daft Bat likes this.