Belgian Soldiers.

Discussion in 'Non U.K. Forces' started by Chinch, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Chinch

Chinch Member

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows if there were Belgian soldiers stationed in Windsor in 1914/1915? If there were, would it be possible for me to find out through a DNA test if I have Belgian ancestry and would it take an expert to decipher the findings ? I'm not sure if I should do the test or if it would be worth my while.
    Many thanks
    CHINCH

2. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I have done my DNA and I think as it sounds as if the person you are looking for is fairly recent then you may find something unexpected in your ethnicity results. But there is no such thing as Belgian in Ancestry, it's more general than that, and it's an estimate. Also less people from there are likely to have tested to match you, so it's all in the luck of the draw.

I found the answer to who was my 2x great grandmother through DNA but it is luck. And you have to be prepared to do a lot of work. Once you have tested, I found genetic genealogy tips and tricks on Facebook. It's a closed group for those who have tested, but just reading posts helped me understand enough, eventually, to make discoveries

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Chinch

Chinch Member

Hi Annabel,
    Oh, that doesn't sound like it's going to be what I need. I am trying to find out if my Grandmother's Father was a Belgian soldier. She was illegitimate so I realise it might be a long shot but as you say, there are less people from there to match with and if there's no such thing as Belgian ancestry it probably wont answer my question. I don't know if I'm clever enough to understand the workings of genetic genealogy!!I think I shall have to have a long think about this one.
    Thanks for you help, though, it has made me think.
    Best wishes
    CHINCH

Chimp and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Have a google, there's a lot out there about England and Belgian during WW1. There was a hospital for their soldiers in Kensington.

Code:
    http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/belgiansoldiers.html

5. Chinch

Chinch Member

Hi Sis,
    thanks, I will do that, that sounds like something I would be interested in, as my family member lived in Kensington for some time. Appreciate your help.

Sis likes this.
  6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

You're welcome.