Best News I Can Have

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Archie's Mum, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

[​IMG]
    and here she is......:D

2. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

We did that trip at the end of 1978, Sue, before all our long distance trains here were all upgraded to "cost a kidney" trips, and it was fantastic. Lovely and comfortable and the service was impeccable. I can't imagine what it will be like now, but I have no doubt it will be impeccable+++

I'm thinking of doing the Ghan next year some time (if I can scrape up the necessary) and I have just seen that a new service is being started up really soon from Adelaide to Brisbane (via Canberra but I'm not sure how that works, they don't seem to have released a route map yet). The company is asking for expressions of interest re tickets at the moment. Opens up the comfort zone just that little bit more again.

And regarding your other news? ():-)

with of course {-(^^)-}.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

The Ghan is also on the bucket list but it’s a bit pricier than the Indian Pacific.
    About the new Adelaide to Brizzy. I wonder if it will be on the new line out west of here. It would have made sense to have kept all the wheat lines open, now they are all overgrown. Silly governments putting trucks on the road and ditching the trains.
    From the daughter of a railway man :rolleyes:

4. Archie's Mum

For the unitiated ‘The Ghan’ got its name from the Afghan cameliers who first brought supplies to the interior from Adelaide to Alice Springs. The rail follows much the same route as the cameliers used. And for a bit of useless information, we export our camels to Saudi Arabia because like everything else in Oz they are better than the original. :D
    The train now goes from Adelaide to Darwin.
    (I had to look all that up) ;)

5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I'm not the daughter of a railway man, Sue, but I've always loved train travel and before my hair turned gray I also managed to travel on the Westlander (often) and the Sunlander and loved them both. I have always screamed loud and long about the constant destruction of rail connections in Australia. It's an incredible resource (if maintained) and the amount of freight it can carry is massive - think of the number of trucks on the road that could be reduced if only............. Larger towns could be freight hubs receiving loads from all over, then dispersing the loads via truck to the towns who aren't on the link. Am I an unrecognised genius or is my thinking just too simplistic? :)

N-E-WAY............ (Hells bells and little fluffy fishes, I even detour in my own post!!!) :(

Just found this about the new train, first departure slated for 3 December 2019.

Must admit the information has left me still as puzzled as ever - have to see if I can find a map showing current "IN USE" train lines between the two cities. There just has to be a lot of bus (foot?) travel included as the itinerary stands, surely (pretty sure there's no train link to the 12 Apostles in Victoria eg, unless it magic-ed overnight!!).

SO.........Here's what it says (no source quoted and no links included, so I think (hope) I'm safe leaving it as is this time):

Adelaide to Brisbane (2 nights, 3 days)
    Departing Fridays, the Adelaide-Brisbane journey includes touring in The Grampians, Canberra and a special beachside dining experience on the Northern NSW Coast.

Brisbane to Adelaide (3 nights, 4 days)
    Departing Mondays, the Brisbane-Adelaide journey features a beachside dining experience on the Northern NSW Coast, as well as time spent in the stunning Hunter Valley wine region, regional Victoria and the incredible Twelve Apostles.

Great Southern departures offer the choice of Platinum Service and Gold Service accommodation, with both options inclusive of dining, onboard beverages and Off Train Experiences.

Will be interesting to follow the progress.

LianeH, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Just found all that too. Looks great but couldn’t work out where it goes. Unless it uses private freight tracks. The Tweve Apostles had me confused. It seems it’s just for tourists with time to spare on dining experiences and sight seeing. Still looks good though.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I'm thinking (probably wrong, but what the heck) they'll go Adelaide Melbourne (existing tracks), bus down to the 12 Apostles, back to the train for Melbourne to possibly Yass (then bus to Canberra), train again to Sydney then to Brisbane. I don't think the Canberra train does more than here to Sydney (but again, could be wrong). Confusion reigns supreme.

As you say, still looks good. What a relaxing holiday!

LianeH and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

It’s one train though. Bright flouro vest yellow. It must use the freight lines. Best we get on it and find out. Meet you at Canberra.

Philippa likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Also keeps buses moving :)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  10. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the extra chemo - hope the prospect of your adventure will make it more bearable.
    {-(^^)-}

Archie's Mum likes this.
  11. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hugs and happy travels. {-(^^)-}

Archie's Mum likes this.
  12. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Hi Sue and Lawrie - the news of the upcoming chemo treatments is somewhat daunting but as you say 3 months will quickly pass and if it gets rid of the pesky little b-----s, it will be a God-send and the end of a long and arduous time for Lawrie. ():-)

[​IMG]

The scenery looks fantastic and train travel can beat flying when and if time permits and with good fortune on the horizon, you'll both have the time and energy to partake of the tours and enjoy yourselves.

{-(^^)-}to you both.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and Archie's Mum like this.
  13. Archie's Mum

Thanks. This trip has been a dream for a long time but something always gets in the way. Spring would be good because WA wildflowers are unbelievable. We may have to settle for around May and the colder weather. Just a few things to get out of the way.
    Hope you are doing OK Colin....

14. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Yep, I is doing just peachy!! Lot's of scheduled appointments between now and February 2019. I'll update my thread on this subject later. Thanks for asking ----
    {-(^^)-}

Figgs, Bay Horse, AnnB and 3 others like this.
  15. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't know what all was going on. I am not getting any notifications of new posts on here and have written Oman.......waiting for an answer. OTOH, my email is giving me fits.

But hang in there, Sue and all will be well.......this has been a long, arduous journey for both of you, so now it is time for an enjoyable train journey (groan)......all the best from the two of us.
    ():-) ():-)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  16. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have checked your settings and they are all fine so I reckon that the problem might be at your end. The forum settings are normal. :)

Figgs likes this.
  17. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

18. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Gah, not the best news about the extra chemo but it'll be worth it when you're both heading away on that train. ():-)

19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Totally agree and will switch machines to see!! I use webmail and having a lot of trouble with it at the moment...on both laptops bc they are synchronized I guess. Have downloaded Thunderbird and will try that plus phone my ISP...they recently massively changed their setup and have had to call once already!! Thanks Jan!!

PS...I check on this tiny tablet every day and that is when I knew a lot of emails were missing!!!!

20. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

That happened over here and they are now regretting it. They even pulled out all the tracks and privatized a lot of the land the railway owned. Now they are saying how badly we need train service to the big city. :eek::mad:

as for the extra chemo.... better safe than sorry... but I know its not fun. {-(^^)-}

Ma-dotcom likes this.