Betty Hannaford

Discussion in 'Warwickshire' started by Melly, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Melly

Melly New Member

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I'll try firstly with a 'simple'(?) one!
    I am looking for an Aunt, or more probably a half-aunt, born definitely to my mother's mother, in Kings Norton, Birmingham, between 1915 and 1922. Most likely 1918. Name: Betty Hannaford. I can't find any record of her birth either as 'Betty' or any other name for which 'Betty' could be used as a pet name. She would have been illegitimate and registered as Hannaford, (tho her parents later married) as were her elder brother, and younger sister, (whom I have found) with her mother's maiden name also given as Hannaford. She is named as just Betty in both her mother and father's wills.
    I've been working on this for several years so absolutely any advice will be gratefully received.
    If this is in wrong place, please forgive me.
    Thanks, Melly.

2. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Searching FreeBMD for Betty/Elizabeth/Bethany born between 1915 and 1920 I found 2 Bettys, mother's maiden name Hannaford. On the assumption her mother had been sent away for the duration of her confinement I conducted a general search. Neither was registered as Hannaford. One was born in Greenwich and the other in Kingsbridge. Not much help I'm afraid.

Did your grandfather serve in WW1? Often the children are listed with date of birth, assuming she was his daughter.

Searching for possible marriages for Betty/Elizabeth throws up a number of marriages. Nothing stands out although an Elizabeth Hannaford married in Birmingham in 1952.

Sorry not much help.:(

Melly likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Hello Melly and welcome to the forum :)

Did the children born before the marriage keep the name Hannaford? If their mother's future husband was their father, you might find the births re-registered under his surname after the marriage. When this happens there ought to be a cross-reference in the index to the earlier registration.

If you can find a marriage or death record for Betty, that ought to give you a clearer idea of her date of birth.

If the family stayed in the Birmingham area, it may be worth checking the 'Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1955' database on Ancestry in case Betty appears when she reaches voting age.

4. Melly

Melly New Member

Thanks for this Stafford. I hadn't thought of 'Bethany' though it's a bit fancy for my 'grandmother' - she called her other children Sidney, Albert and Jean!! However, I will surely follow up the suggestion. The father didn't serve in WW1, he would have been a bit old at 49 in 1914, had plenty of stamina tho - this guy fathered, and provided for, a total of 9 children, in two families run alongside each other, (unknown to the first wife, of course.) in the posher districts of Birmingham. He was a well-off businessman. My mother (Eva) was born to her in 1909 and very quickly adopted. We were always told Mum was his, but I have good reason to doubt it!
    Incidentally, I lose any track of all of them in 1955, absolutely, though I've had the great joy of meeting a grandson from the first family. He can't help tho, because after the inevitable divorce, the father's name was never again allowed to be mentioned.
    Please say hello to your beautiful city for me, I've been there several times and brought my grandson in 96 or 97. happy memories!
    Melly

5. Melly

Melly New Member

Hello Huncamunca, thanks for the welcome.
    Now you've touched a nerve!!
    I've checked the electoral rolls and have both him and her but never thought to look for Betty, or indeed for her elder brother, Albert.
    Will go and look this very minute.
    As for the birth index, there's a story, but more to it later. Off to the electoral roll, be back soon!
    Melly.

Huncamunca likes this.
  6. Melly

Melly New Member

Huncamunca, been to electoral roll, found Betty, living with Albert but it's on the limit of the dates, 1955, and I have them in other ways to that date.
    Thanks tho, I'll search that birth index because there is a definite clue there, though perhaps not quite a straightforward one.
    Melly.

7. Devonmaid

Devonmaid New Member

I have a "Betty" and searched high and lo for a birth registration using all the usual names. Turned out she was "Beatrice".

dizzyme likes this.
  8. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Melly likes this.
  9. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Also Betsy, Lilibet are possibilities

Melly and Bay Horse like this.
  10. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I was just about to suggest 'Betsy', simply because I have several Betsys in my Birmingham ancestry... perhaps it was a popular local name.

Melly and dizzyme like this.
  11. Melly

Melly New Member

Thank you all, I've spent the whole evening using all your helpful suggestions, but no luck. Yes Betsy was a popular name, I've got two in different parts of my family but no good here I'm afraid. I'll have a go at the divorce records tomorrow, trouble here is that Betty belongs to the second family but as I've said, I'll try anything.
    Goodnight all, Melly.

12. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Melly
    The site Midlands Historical Data goes up to 1965 for Birmingham electoral rolls. I take it that Betty is the Beatrice with Albert at 121 Denville Crescent. In 1957 they are still at 121 Denville crescent with Frederick Phillip. In 1960 they , with Frederick Phillip are at 78 Downsfield Road. In 1962 there are two Albert J Hannafords at 78 downsfield road, and in 1965 it is Beatrice O. & June C Hannaford and Brian J & Jean V. Ryder at 78 downsfield Road

Melly, Sue036 and Stafford like this.
  13. Melly

Melly New Member

Hi all, thanks to Huncamunca for the link to the National Archives. It was great and I had no trouble finding the divorce case I needed but have been disappointed today to learn that they cannot process my request for a complete copy of the papers. I asked for ''all the papers' but probably that's impracticable and I have no way of knowing exactly what parts I need.
    Going to the National Archives is not a possibility for me, so any further suggestions please?
    Mikjee, unfortunately that's not my folks, (I know them nearly as well as my lot!) but the Midlands Historical Data site gave me much more info on my Betty and Albert. Thank you for telling me about them.
    Melly.

Huncamunca likes this.
  14. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Did you want to download the divorce papers? I was able to order a copy of a divorce case that ran to a 132 pages, that they printed and sent to me. It is more costly than downloading but well worth it.

If your not able to sort it online, telephone them and they maybe able to help. ;)

Good luck

Karen

Melly likes this.
  15. Melly

Melly New Member

No Karen, I didn't ask to download the papers. (it said they were not available that way) just for a copy, to be sent by post. I'll go back to the order form and see if I filled it in incorrectly. Either way I'll try phoning - I was once surprised by how helpful the GRO was on the phone.
    Thanks, Melly.

16. james corke

james corke New Member

My mother was Betty Hannaford
    But she was an orphan and I think was raised in Southampton she married my father Frederick Corke in 1952 not sure of her age
    She lived in Aldebugh Suffolk and left after I was born in 1954
    Probably not the person you are looking for
    Regards
    James

GrannyBarb likes this.
  17. james corke

james corke New Member

Photo taken around 1953

Attached Files:

• Mum.gif
      Mum.gif
      File size:
      43 bytes
      Views:
  18. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

This is not showing. If it was a jpg it would be better. :)