Betty Silcock born about 1758

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by Mrs Huma, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

Betty or Elizabeth Silcock married Simon Dando 16 Sep 1787 in High Littleton SOM. This is verified by the PR's of Somerset on Ancestry and also Michael Browning's High Littleton and Hallatrow History and Parish Records.

She (Betty Dando) is buried in High Littleton, 13 Mar 1836, age 78, abode is Hallatrow. Also on the PR's of Somerset on Ancestry and Michael Browning's site.

She is not born or baptized in High Littleton :( I have searched through the High Littleton site (nothing) and have been searching through FreeRegUK and found:

Elizabeth Silcock
    Baptism Date: 20 Apr 1760
    Place: Rode
    Church: St Lawrence
    Father: John Silcock

This is a correct age range for her. The marriage reg says that she is Of This Parish (High Littleton or Hallatrow) I have found that Rode is approximately 13 1/2 miles from High Littleton. Is this a possibility?

Any information gratefully accepted :)
    Wendy aka mrs huma

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

there is an Elizabeth Silcock buried 7 % 1761 at Rode St Lawrence Somerset so might not be sorry

3. Mrs Huma

Thank you!

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Could Elizabeth have been Mrs Silcock when she married Mr Dando? [aged 49]
    A huge perhaps finding the death of a Mr Silcock before 1787 may give a clue to the area, or a marriage of Mr Silcock to Elizabeth 1756 onward preferably in that county. [or have I missed a bit too much sleep?]
    Nah,, bad maths here should have been 29....I think. Stilll may have married young etc.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Mrs Huma

Well, Simon Dando was born in 1758, so when they married 1787, he would have been 29. I never thought of the possibility of that being her 2nd marriage. I guess that should be checked out too!! TY Wendy ... from Wendy :D

6. Mrs Huma

There is a marriage on FreeRegUK for Rode St Lawrence 12 Sep 1774 for Peter Silcock and Betty Fussell.........

7. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

well there is a burial in Rode for a Peter Silcock in 1787 but that is 9 Sept which is a bit close to the marriage to Steven Dando!!

8. Mrs Huma

Michael Browning transcribed if it said widow or widower from the original parish registers. I guess some could have been forgotten by the original curate or vicar. I'm still thinking her maiden name is Silcock or a derivative of that. Still researching it though........................... Wendy aka mrshuma

9. Mrs Huma

I saw that too, but if you look at the bottom of the page in 'notes'? it says Sr. so I would assume that is possibly his father??

10. Mrs Huma

Here is the page from the PR's for Somerset

Attached Files:

11. Mrs Huma

Well, so far I have found the last name spelled Silcock, Silcocks, Sillcocks, Silcox, Shillcocks, Selcock, Selcox.

Thanks for the ideas today, will be back tomorrow. Giving up for the day.

Wendy aka mrshuma

12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

#8, you are probably right Wendy however that particular cleric may not have bothered for banns & if it's not in the book no-one can transcribe otherwise. have you seen the actual marriage image? Then again groom is not listed as a bachelor either.

My 2nd Gt.Grandmother-paternal- was a widow when she married my 2nd Gt.G'Father in 1822 aged 26.- b. 1796 Liverpool. I'm almost certain she kept her maiden name, & have found a poss. marriage for her in L'pool 1817, that chap, a mariner, not heard of again so possibly was lost at sea. Perhaps she was pregnant & so needed to marry again but I haven't found any child born so to substantiate that.

Not found an earlier marriage of Mr Pendlebury to Hannah in L'pool either. I guess I'll never really know. :(

13. Mrs Huma

Hi Wendy, You're right Simon is not listed as a bachelor, so I assume, possibly incorrectly, that he is of full age. Which he is as he's 29 ish, going by the baptism date. Then with Betty, the assumption, she is of full age. But is she a widow? There doesn't seem to be any other Silcock families in High Littleton.....so what is she doing there? Aren't brides supposed to get married in their home parish....traditionally?? Guess that one will come to light eventually, or it might me like Mr Pendlebury to Hannah. Wendy :eek:

Ma-dotcom likes this.