Beware Find My Past dataset validity

Discussion in 'Handy Web Sites' started by GJH, May 18, 2018.

1. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

Hope I've posted this in the correct section.

Earlier this afternoon I received the Friday newsletter from FMP which included a section headed UK deaths 2007-2016. The text says "Discover your relatives who died in the United Kingdom between the years 2007 and 2016. The collection covers England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, and Jersey and list the individual’s name, date of death, and location of death.".

As a quick test I decided to look for my mother, who died on 20 September 2015, only to find there is no record listed.

I contacted FMP about it and the reply I received is: "These records have been provided to us by Wilmington Millennium, rather than the GRO, so if there are records missing they might not have the data available yet. It's not designed to be a complete collection of all those who passed away between 2007 and 2016.I hope that we will be able to add the record in the future as more are transcribed."

I've responded to them pointing out that the text in the e-mail gives no indication that it is "not designed to be a complete collection", nor does it reveal that it is just a mish-mash of records put together by a marketing company, rather than a dataset whose accuracy can be relied upon.

I've made the point that if FMP is going to use datasets put together by companies for their own commercial purposes, rather than official datasets, then FMP should be honest enough to say so instead of misleading customers.

Hopefully they will do so but I shall not hold my breath. This could easily be a reason why searches do not return expected results.

Graham

Eve, Flook, HildaW and 11 others like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thanks, Graham.

Good to have the heads up about this and thank you for posting. :)

GJH likes this.
  3. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

I've told the contact to pass on that using datasets from DMA yee-hah companies is bound to get FMP the reputation of being cowboys as well :p

4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Thank you for the heads up Graham. A search for 5 aunts and uncles who died in West Midlands and Worcestershire during that period came up with nothing. The dataset is perhaps best described as a disgrace.

GJH and Sis like this.
  5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

My brother (2016), is on the list and it includes all but the last 2 numbers of his home post code!

GJH and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Ancestry have had this online for over a year but their blurb reads

"This collection is a compiled index that covers approximately 55% of the total deaths that occurred in this time period.

This index provides death details for people in England and Wales, specifically their name, gender, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and residence place at death. However, they do not include the General Register Office (GRO) reference information."

Sis likes this.