Birth and/or Baptism records request

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by Jeri Ann Williams, May 8, 2015.

1. Jeri Ann Williams

Jeri Ann Williams New Member

I have been trying to locate the following; I have written to Powys and they sent me to Merythr Tydfil but I thought I shouldn't put all of eggs in one basket and ask for help to see if there are other avenues in finding these documents. I am on ancestry.com and findmypast.com. I found their mom's baptism record on findmypast.com and she was born in 1807 so their certificates shouldn't be that hard to find. Here is the info:

I would like to obtain birth certificates from the following index references:

SECOND BORN SON, BUT MY DIRECT ANCESTOR:

Llewelin or Llewellyn Reese Williams:
    Birth date: August 2, 1843
    District: MERTHYR TYDFIL
    County: Glamorganshire
    Volume 26
    Page 375

1851 Wales Census: Claims he was born in Monmouth
    1861 Wales Census: Claims he was born in Tredegar

ALSO:

Llewelin or Llewellyn Reese Williams:
    Birthdate: August 2, 1843
    District CRICKHOWELL
    County Breconshire
    Country Wales
    Volume 26
    Page 311

(this one shows the birth in 4th quarter of 1843 & I know sometimes births are not registered for a few months and he was born in the last month of the 3rd quarter that year).

FIRST BORN SON, MY DIRECT ANCESTOR'S OLDER BROTHER:

John Williams:
    Birth date: December 28, 1840
    District CRICKHOWELL
    County Breconshire
    Country Wales
    Volume 26
    Page 265

1851 Wales Census: Claims he was born in Monmouth
    1861 Wales Census: claims he was born in Tredegar

OR:

John Williams
    Birthdate: December 28, 1840
    District CRICKHOWELL
    County Breconshire
    Country Wales
    Volume 26
    Page 281

The parents are:

Llewelin Reese Williams
    Martha Davies (maiden name) Williams

The parents were married on August 12, 1839 in Crickhowell, so I started there searching the indexes for the birth of their two sons.

They moved to Aberdare, Wales as they are listed in the 1851 & 1861 census, by the 1870 U.S. Census they all had relocated to the U.S.A.

I believe I found the family in the 1841 Wales Census and they had their first son in 1840; that census states: Llywell, Breconshire, Wales for the location of the census and the birthplace for John Williams, born in 1840 as Breconshire.

Any help is greatly appreciated especially on who is ask to search the records and, of course I know there is a cost involved as I know the gentleman in Powys searched and stated in found nothing but when these records are found (hopefully), then I would need to know the cost and if I can call to finish the transaction.

Thanks for all your help and your quick welcome ... what a nice group!

Jeri Ann Williams

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Jeri Ann,

The references that you have provided relate to those held by the General Register Office (GRO). Certificates may be ordered online direct from them and will cost you the $ equivalent of £9.25 each.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is the website, just follow the links. You will need to register with them, but that is no bad thing as you will then have the details set up for any future certificates. ;)

Just for information, Civil registration in England and Wales did not start until 1st July 1837, so any dates prior to this will not result in a certificate. It will be parish records that you will need to check.

To have a look at the sort of thing that you will find on a certificate, please have a read of this article. :)

3. Jeri Ann Williams

Thanks Jan, the article is very helpful -- the images on page 4 cannot be accessed but all of the info was good information. I will check the link for GRO and proceed -- again, a huge thanks.

Jeri

4. Daft Bat

Hmm. Thanks - I will look into this as I can see them.... o_O

5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hi Jeri, I take it from this that it could be any 2 of these certificates you are after but only if their parents are :-

Llewelin Reese Williams
    Martha Williams (maiden name Davies)

There is a way of ordering from the site that Jan suggested stipulating the parents names.

They will do a search for you (usually 1 or 2 years either side, I think) If they find the certificate they will send it, If they don't you get your money back.

I have never done that. So if you wait a little while someone who has will be along to tell you how to go about it.

6. Daft Bat

From the GRO website:

Q4. If I don’t have the index reference number what will happen?
    If you do not have the GRO index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process.

Ma-dotcom, Joanne and Chimp like this.
  7. Chimp

That's the one Jan :D

8. Jeri Ann Williams

I'm thinking I'll have better luck if I don't give the GRO #'s I have found and just give them the details I do have when ordering the certificates and I also think they will have better luck too and will know exactly what they are looking for with the parents names. I did just find them (Llewellin, Martha and John) on the 1841 census -- I thought I had found them about a year ago but the mother's name wasn't quite right and just in a year I've learned so much more by experimenting and asking questions so I was able to narrow down the search in ancestry.com and to my great surprise and after going through 6,000 records (out of 6,070), there they are listed in Monmouthshire, the right ages, names -- yippee. I like these days when I find just one record, it makes all of my searching worthwhile. I remember the day I found Llewelin & Martha's marriage certificate information--I actually called the office in Powys (from the US) and talked to such a wonderful woman, she found them with the info I had found on the BMD index, confirmed the info with me over the phone and she could tell how excited I was and so she offered to send it to me via email (which I understand they normally do not do) plus send it via regular mail. I sat there waiting for the email to come through (I was at work, I know bad!) but I couldn't contain myself I was so excited I almost screamed out loud. I love family history even when I do not break down those brick walls. Thanks again to everyone that is giving me some great suggestions!

Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb, Joanne and 3 others like this.
  9. Chimp

Fun isn't it :) Would you like help with your addiction :D

10. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Hi Jan I just looked and I can see the three images,unless you've already "fixed it"

Daft Bat likes this.