Birth certificates

Discussion in 'Channel Islands' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 29, 2015.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I have a family that had 2 children born in Jersey, Channel Islands. Is it possible to get birth certificates?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Should be. Have a read of this:
    Code:
    http://www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org/about/faq

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

Did so, DB - expensive and S--L--O--W in my opinion. Thye GRO is a bargain in comparison.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

Some years ago I got a marriage certificate from Jersey..I only enquired if they had it and they sent it to me before I paid...it was only £5 then..it was in French but they sent a translation..best £5 I ever spent...

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. The Artful Dodger

Must have been quite a few years ago as their website indicates that there are no facilities available for on-line requests so must make contact by mail.

Knowing the index reference # the charge is 20.00 pounds plus 2.00 pounds for mailing outside Europe.
    Payment by sterling cheque drawn on a British Bank or British Postal Order

If you don't know the reference # a search of a 5 year period for birth or death cert.s is 10.00 pounds. For a marriage cert. the search fee is 20.00 pounds.

6. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

You are quite right...it was Guernsey not Jersey...I sent to the library in St Peters Port knowing from the 1881 census that my grandfather brother was a Gunner RA7 Brigade and he was married with a 1year daughter and his wife was born in Guernsey as was the daughter

7. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

It was in 2006 ..Priaulx Library. Candie Road St Perter Port Guernsey..Thisis what they sent...can't send from my iPad so will write it...Dear M/s Smart, Thank you for your email.I have found the marriage in which you are interested. It took place in the Vale Church. I have made a printout of the entry which is in French so I have transcribed it for you. Job Townsend 1/15 Royal Rtillery son of William and Mary Pippard daughter of James of St Sampson were marred together in the Vale Church the 19 June 1877 by Commissary Licence. In this context a commissary was the deputy of a bishop. The fee for the printout and search is £2 and I enclose an invoice. Please make cheques payable to the Priaulx Library. Elizabeth Gallienne Research Assistant...I sent a Cherie for the £2 and another one for £5 thanking them and hoping they would enjoy cream cakes with their coffee .so I got this letter and a copy of the marriage for £2 plus the £5 I sent with my great full thanks...sorry about the mistake

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

Wonder if they still make the same offer? My contact was withJersey Family History - see post #2