Births and Baptisms

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by llangabvrem, Jan 18, 2018.

1. llangabvrem

llangabvrem Member

I am not sure if this is the right forum.( still bumbling around :nailbiting: the site.)

Query :- Were all Births or Baptisms from the mid 1800 and earlier recorded by the church, compulsory or was it the responsibility of the parents to inform the church of said birth?

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

It was the responsibility of the church to record any baptisms they carried out but it seems not births. However some churches did recorded births, just a question of luck if one's ancestor was baptised at a church that did record births, it appeared to be up to the person who was Rector at the time whether births were noted. Unfortunately some baptisms missed being recorded for various reasons.

3. llangabvrem

llangabvrem Member

Thanks for your reply, I have seen that, recently, on a site I stumbled across by accident,

Eg. Bastismata .
    " " Sept, 15, Sept 5, Jacobus f Jacobi Jones and Margaretta,
    " " Sept 15, Jacobus f Jacobi Jones and Margaretta,

Above is not an actual entry.
    Merv.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Findem likes this.
  4. llangabvrem

llangabvrem Member

Your last sentence helps a lot to explain why, we are having trouble finding a baptism/birth record of my Gx2 G/F. Thomas Bagnall, although the name goes back to the 1600's. It is possible his family migrated to Staffordshire from else ware.

Findem likes this.
  5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Can be very annoying, I've faced that problem before where a child is shown on a census but not baptised where it is stated by the Census to have been born. Then you have the dilemma was the baptism not recorded or did the parents nip off to a parish unknown and have the babe baptised there.

6. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

Have you looked at non conformist registers, reason I say that my great Grandfather who was the youngest of 6 children was baptised in a Catholic Church while the other five in the local Anglican Church

llangabvrem and Findem like this.
  7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

The couple of missing baptisms that I had in mind I've since found, both were stumbled upon whilst researching other family surnames.

I don't have any Catholics in my tree although it's likely all those born before Henry 8th set up the Church of England were Catholics, or at least baptised in a Catholic Church. :D

I do have several families where there was a mix with some children baptised Congregational and some C of E.

llangabvrem and WelchRegLost like this.
  8. llangabvrem

llangabvrem Member

Thanks for that, it another line of thought to pursue.

WelchRegLost likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've had some families who have missed one or two children from any listed Baptism years. Others had them 'done' years later, perhaps when they had pennies or were of a mind to do so. Perhaps after the birth of a later child, maybe in poor health.
    Maybe when Husband was home after working 'away'.

llangabvrem likes this.