Blisland - memorial to Nicholas STOWELL?

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by arthurk, Oct 9, 2018.

1. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

As I may have mentioned once or twice, Cornwall is not an area I'm familiar with, so I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me, please?

I'm currently looking at the history and origins of family named STOW, who are found in Thornton-in-Craven in the West Riding of Yorkshire from the 16th century onwards. (The name is also found as STAW; when members left Yorkshire it often became STOWELL or STAWELL.)

Nicholas Stowell was a brother of one of the Thornton family, though he may not have lived there himself. What I do know is that he was Rector of Blisland from 1581 until his death in 1600 (buried 19 Dec). His will was proved in the PCC on 22 Dec 1601.

In his will he asks to be buried in the chancel of Blisland church, as near as possible to his predecessor (Thomas JOHN, buried 7 Jan 1580). So I'm wondering if there might be a memorial to Nicholas Stowell which would give any clues about his origins.

There's no mention of a memorial in either the Cornwall OPC list, nor in John Maclean's "Parochial and Family History of the Parish of Blisland in the County of Cornwall" (1868) - this link takes you to the page referring to Nicholas Stowell as rector:
    Code:
    https://archive.org/stream/parochialandfam00unkngoog#page/n70/mode/1up
    I know the church was restored in the late 19th century, but I think Maclean would have been writing before that.

So does anyone think it's possible that there's a memorial that both Maclean and the OPC recorder might have missed? Or am I clutching at straws? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Incidentally, Nicholas Stowell is briefly mentioned in a lengthy history of the Stowell family of Cothelstone, Somerset, but the author could find no connection to them - and neither can I.

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

haven't found anything yet but there is a facebook account for church I don't use facebook but if you do you could try them

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Protus-and-St-Hyacinths-Church

arthurk likes this.
  3. arthurk

Thanks - I don't do Facebook either, though. Contacting the church in some way is certainly an option, but I thought I'd try for an opinion from some of our Cornish experts here first.

Sandiep likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

You have most likely been there but if you just google ‘Nicholas Stowell + Blisland’ heaps of links come up with him mentioned.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and arthurk like this.
  5. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Arthur - Blisland is not too far from me, and it's a lovely sunny day.
    So WATCH THIS SPACE ...
    If you don't hear from me again, it means the Beast of Bodmin Moor has got me :eek:

Jane

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Chimp and 7 others like this.
  6. arthurk

Thanks - I have done this, but it's probably worth another try in case anything new has appeared, or things which didn't look too important before suddenly jump out at me.
    Wow, thank you very much :) I look forward to hearing how it goes. (Here, kitty kitty :nailbiting:)

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and Sis like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Beast of Bodmin Moor?
    We’ve got those here. Large black cats, the size of panthers, almost. Found along the Hawkesbury River and Lower Blue Mountains also around Lithgow.
    Lots of sights of them, even on video but nothing tangible. Dead goats up in trees. Unexplained animal attacks.
    Can’t believe you have them too......:sceptical:

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Sandiep and 2 others like this.
  8. kernowmaid

Oh yes, we've got several in Cornwall - I even saw one (black panther) about 15 years ago (verified by the local Zoo - they keep records).
    Apparently they stem from the 1970s when the UK decided that people needed a licence to keep them - so the Cornish pet-owners just let 'em go free :)

Anyway, enough of the Beasts ...

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Sandiep and 2 others like this.
  9. kernowmaid

He's not there Arthur - as far as I can tell.
    But what a BEAUTIFUL place - "Bliss Land" indeed. Smack in the middle of Bodmin Moor, surrounded by trees & leafy lanes ...
    Stone cottages, a pub, and the most GORGEOUS church.

The door was open, but there's a LOCKED screen across the area in front of the altars (is that the chancelry?). In my younger days I could have climbed through - and I would have given it a go today if I thought I'd find something.
    But no. There is one large stone on the floor in front of the main altar - and I thought that if Nicholas was next to his predecessor, it wasn't likely to be him. A few stones under the chairs in front of the side altar.

A very short leaflet saying the place was rebuilt in the 17th and 19th centuries.
    An embroidered list of the rectors - Thomas John & Nicholas Stowell included. (Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of that).
    Maybe you could ring the Rev David SEYMOUR (01208 850088) who gives the fortnightly services there?

Thank you for giving me a lovely morning out in the wilds!
    Jane
    IMG_1936.JPG IMG_1937.JPG IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1939.JPG

Ma-dotcom, Sis, GrannyBarb and 4 others like this.
  10. arthurk

Thank you very much for doing that, Jane, and the lovely photos. I'm glad you enjoyed the outing - I believe it was one of John Betjeman's favourite churches.

From what I've read, the rood screen is Victorian, and the chancel will be the area between there and the altar. Pity it was locked off, but often it's the whole church that's locked.

The large stones in photos 3 & 4 look to be in the right sort of location, but clearly there's not a lot to read on them now. If one of those is him, then it's hardly surprising after 400 years. And don't worry about the embroidery picture - I have the list of rectors anyway.

Anyway, many thanks for braving the beast and having a look. If you (or anyone else) would like a similar site visit in or near eastern Cheshire, I'd be happy to repay the favour.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for this topic Arthur it's reminded me to have another try at finding my ancestor Repentance Stowell, he's been on the back burner for so long I'd forgotten about him. :rolleyes: :D

arthurk, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Sorry, went 'o p' :oops::eek:

13. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Eh? I missed that one.
    If you don't hear from me again, it means the Beast of Bodmin Moor has got me :eek:
    But what a BEAUTIFUL place - "Bliss Land" indeed. Smack in the middle of Bodmin Moor, surrounded by trees & leafy lanes ...
    Stone cottages, a pub, and the most GORGEOUS church.

In earlier years reading about 'the Moors' any where was usually a desolate place, Lovely to hear there is more obvious beauty also.

14. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

It's OK Ma, I posted then realised I was off piste so alI I could do was change it to say that. :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom likes this.