BMD records Peakirk, Northamptonshire

Discussion in 'Northamptonshire' started by Ma-dotcom, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Given also as 'Peterborough', Northamptonshire, I have a baptism in 1826 April 16th for a William Griffin, parents John & Ann.[ Another William 'P' Griffin born there in June.]
    This man at marriage give father's name as William.
    He married Jane Brown 18 May1851, St. Leonards Shoreditch.

I have tried to follow this chap who is connected to me only via his Grandson R.J. Griffin b. 1881 Bermondey.
    There seems to be a 'wool-knot' concerning his Dad as some-one else has floundered a bit here, concerning the father of William b. 1826
    Is there any chance of finding his parents marriage or the birth of 'John' or 'Ann' in the county please.

I've just been approached by someone trying to find family & this group are part of that man's family too.
    I have tried Ancestry & Family Search with no postitive result & the other one didn't even try.

So appreciate any assistance here.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

How sure are you that he was born in Northamptonshire?

William. as you say was married on 18th May 1851 in St. Leonards Shoreditch says full age. He is a carpenter. His father William is a Labourer.

On the 1851 (30 March 1851) living at Napier Street, Shoreditch, is a William Griffin b.1827, he is a Carpenter Journeyman. He gives his place of birth as Southam, Warwickshire.

There is a baptism for a William Griffin in Stockton, Warwickshire (about 2 n half miles from Southam) on 2 Dec 1827. Parents names are William & Ann Griffin.

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Chimp

4. Chimp

There's a marriage for a William Griffin to an Ann Clarke in Southam on 7 Aug 1824. William is of Stockton and Ann of Southam.
    S2_GBPRS_WARWICKSHIRE_PR-NONEXC2_SOUTHAM_DR0583-04-00040.jpg

5. Ma-dotcom

A quick reply, sorry Chimp as I should be out there doing kitchen things, I followed the lead from one of the censuses back & then forward. I have NOT followed trees as there is a large mixup later on & I have no positive proofs.

William Griffin
    Baptism year 1826
    Baptism date 16 Apr 1826
    Residence Peakirk, Northampton, England
    Place Peakirk, Northamptonshire
    Country England
    Father John Griffin
    Mother's first name(s) -Ann
    Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
    Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Subcategory Parish Baptisms
    Collections from England, Great Britain
    Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl

Possible
    1841 William a m.servant aged 15
    Where born: Northamptonshire, England
    Civil Parish: Eye
    Hundred: Nassaburgh
    : HO107; Piece: 815; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Eye; County: Northamptonshire; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 23; Page: 38;
    HO107; Piece: 1559; Folio: 132; Page: 34; GSU roll: 174792
    Where born: Peakirk, Northamptonshire, England
    Civil Parish: Southwark St Olave

Name: William Griffon
    [William Griffin]
    Estimated birth year: 1826
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's name: Jane Griffin
    Where born: Peckwick, Northamptonshire, England
    [Peakirk, Northamptonshire, England]
    Civil Parish: Camberwell
    RG 9; Piece: 384; Folio: 123; Page: 42
    There is more but sorry am called away.

6. Chimp

Is the William who married Jane Brown in 1851 in Shoreditch not yours then, as he has a different father.

7. Ma-dotcom

Chimp, I think he is the correct chap who gave wrong father's name-[it happened in my own family more than once] nerves or too many Williams or perhaps he didn't know or want to know his father as John. I did find a few Johns with problems with the law.:rolleyes:
    In going over my old notes I did find william's demise & his probates.Sadly no date. Thanks again M.M. :)

Also mentioned via Huncamunca was a possible Jane who either marriedd or set up house with Joshua Hamlin, & had her son William aged 5 with them, although her husband didn['t die until Oct. 1861-perhaps they split up.

It was from here on that the works became murky & I had to leave it lay re my continued backwards tree.

A bit murky myself this day Chimp, hope this all makes sense. I shalldo a search & see where/when these forum gems took place.

Chimp likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

9. Chimp

I bow to those who did research before me ;)

What I can't get over is:-

The William Griffin who married Jane Brown

1851 census Napier Street, Shoreditch, he says he's a Carpenter Journey man.

Marriage in 1851, Shoreditch, says he's a carpenter.

or is he:-

1851 census Helcombe Buildings, Saint Olave, St Olave Southwark, Warehouseman , born Peakirk, Northamptonshire

1861 says he's a Potato Salesman

Why if he was a Warehouseman would he say that he was a carpenter on his marriage?

I agree, he was with a Jane on the 1861 census and he also left his probate to his wife Jane, but was the 1851 marriage truly theirs?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Ma-dotcom

Ihave to type carefylly , our NBN or it's worthless router is driving my computer nuts.
    I don't remember his trade in 1841 & cannot go check or I will not get back in here. It took 7 goes from forum page to open this. :(
    He may have exageraed the carpenter bit depends on what defined carpenter back then, you may be right with the marriage query but his children have mother with Mmname of Brown, I guess that's why I picked it.
    In those times men & woman may have had to take what ever jobs they could find.

However I am so totally overwhelmed with the joy I've had today in meeting another cousin from this family based in N.Zealand. Has taken many years of looking but hey, DNA ! works it's litttle wonders.

I going to give away again, the stress of this in & out I'net is harsh on an older lady.:D
    Thanks you Chimp for helping out.
    It seems I cannot post reply either, the grey button turns at the papage top & nought else happens.

Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Just occurred to me, I hadn't learned anything of Peakirk registers /records. other than the Baptism which shows John as a weaver.

I just found "Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online." which then gave me everything but Peakirk or Northants.
    I wonder if 'John' died or other & Ann then married a William? or perhaps she didn't & William was just a name he remembered. It certainly wore well in the family, so I guess I'll never know. Can't be perfectly tidy in family histories all of the time. o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
    Chimp likes this.