Brentford & Chiswick

Discussion in 'Useful Links' started by Daft Bat, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have been following a line of ancestors for a friend of mine, who were Watermen and Lightermen in the Brentford and Chiswick area.

In doing so, I stumbled across the following website, which is full of wonderful information about the area, which I am sure will be of interest - and hopefully of help - to others who are researching the area. :)

Code:
    https://brentfordandchiswicklhs.org.uk/local-history/

Sis, burt, Doug and 7 others like this.
  2. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Great site Jan. Takes me back to some extent. In my working life I was a chartered surveyor and from 1968 to 1972 I worked for the London Borough of Hounslow which controlled the Brentford and Chiswick areas. My work included buying up slum housing for demolition around Brentford and Chiswick. These days the houses I bought for the Council would have been saved and gentrified but sadly at that time they were replaced by hideous concrete tower blocks. I had nothing to do with the latter.

The Thames-side waterfront pubs in Isleworth, Brentford and Chiswick were popular areas to spend time in after hours - I was single in those days!

I also bought lots of front garden land so that local roads could be widened but you wouldn't know it these days. Traffic expands to fill the space provided for it.

One day I flinched when it seemed that a Boeing 747 was about to land on my head and the colleague with me at the time announced "You can tell the locals around here...they don't look up when planes fly over." Our patch also included Heston, and some houses we had to visit there were immediately under the flight path and only yards from the airport perimeter fence. When aircraft flew over you that close, the noise was like a physical assault on your senses.

Happy days!