Brereton family from Wybunbury and surrounds

Discussion in 'Cheshire' started by Peregrine, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I have been reviewing and revising my earlier research of the Brereton line in my husband’s tree. Arguably he is descended either from a David Brereton or a John Reeve, his 2 x Great Grandmother having had a relationship with Reeve first and later with Brereton. So I have researched both men, as you do.

I have chased the Brereton line back to the 1700s in and around Wynbunbury in Cheshire. But I am having trouble determining which Brereton married which woman. For instance, there are two or three Samuel Brereton’s of similar age, which one married Mary Green? And which was the blacksmith of Bridgemere who died in 1813 that left a lovely will detailing what he left to his children and three grandchildren? The main contenders are:

1. Samuel baptised 6 Feb 1732 at Wynbunbury to John Brereton and Elizabeth Acton;and
    2. Samuel baptised 21 Aug 1737 at Wynbunbury to Samuel Brereton and Mary name-unknown

A Samuel Brereton married a Mary Green on 27 Nov 1758 at Audlem. I had her as marrying 1737 Samuel and their children matching those of the Blacksmith who left the lovely will. But others have her marrying 1732 Samuel.

There are other marriages of Samuels. One married a Sarah Shone b 1733 at Malpas on 21 Jun 1754 (possibly married Samuel b 1726 at Nantwich). Another married Jane Whittington b 1750 at Wynbunbury on 30 Dec 1772.

As to the Samuel I had as father to 1737 Samuel, some trees have him marrying a Sarah Colley (b 1707) on 5 Nov 1737 at Wynbunbury rather than a Mary ‘Unknown’

Then there are all the women named Mary Brereton who died around 1794, sometimes widows, sometimes wives, and perhaps some daughters. But which one ‘belongum’ which Samuel etc.

Aaahhh!!!!!!! Lots of hair pulling going on.

Ma-dotcom and burt like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Aaah, the sorrows of the 'might have beens'.
    Have either of you taken a DNA test & use that with matches to help along?
    Sadly the trees of others unless with proven records are of little use in those earlier years.
    Sometimes I've seen death / burial records giving assistance in proving a line or more so a will. Have any of these things popped up for you?

Peregrine likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

FindmyPast have a lot of BRERETON Cheshire Wills online and there is one for a Samuel BRERETON of Wybunbury, Bricklayer, dated 30 May 1777. However, because of their terms and conditions I cannot give you full details but it does mention a wife Mary and a son Samuel amongst his other children. Another Will for a Samuel BRERETON of Wybunbury, Blacksmith, dated 14 September 1806 and proved in 1827, who seems to have remained unmarried as he mentions his mother & father and various siblings. Another for a Samuel BRERETON of Stapeley (not too far from Wybunbury), Blacksmith, proved in 1840 which mentions children and grandchildren. Looking through these Wills might enable you to find your correct line or at least eliminate some of the candidates.

Janet

4. Peregrine

Thanks Janet. I found a copy of the will of the bricklayer Samuel who died 30 May 1777, who I currently have as my husband’s 6th Great grandfather. I have all the children detailed in the will as his children plus one who had died as an infant. So far so good. It also confirms that his wife was a Mary and she outlived him. It is his son, Samuel I have to validate now.
    There are two Mary Brereton’s who died within a month of each other, both of Bridgemere. I think the one who was buried 6 Jun 1794 is the wife of Samuel, who died 1777 detailed above. The other is the wife of Samuel who I think is first Samuel’s son (1737-1810) and she was buried 14 Jul 1794, I believe her to have been born Mary Green and they were married 27 Nov 1758 at Audlem. I’ve just got to verify it somehow as others have Mary Green marrying other Samuels. And then verify that their son, Samuel is the big lad’s Brereton ancestor etc.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Peregrine

Yes we have both had DNA tests done. And his and his father’s DNA helped me to resolve his father’s lineage. But DNA probably won’t help here as mentioned in my first post.