Brick Wall? More a Rockface

Discussion in 'Worcestershire' started by Bonzo Dog, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

The earliest known record for my g grandmother Ellen comes from when she married my g grandfather Richard Taylor in Perry Barr (then in Staffordshire). The certificate names her as Ellen Keys, 21 years old unmarried daughter of John Keys, Labourer. Neither of the 2 witnesses appear to be be related. One was the Parish Clerk at the time, the other a William Brown.
    Her inferred YOB of about 1857 is repeated on her death certificate (1939), plus census returns for 1881-1911. These latter documents all give her place of birth as Stourbridge, Worcestershire.
    No records prior to the marriage that obviously relate to Ellen or her father have been found. To me there 3 possibilities:
    Her birth was never registered, but this would not explain no census entries for 1861 and 1871. She was the illegitimate daughter of John Keys but registered under her mother's maiden name. She was adopted/fostered and used the surname of her adoptive/foster parents when she married.
    Ellen was a very popular name in Stourbridge - 49 registrations in 1857, plus around another 20 or so for Eleanor/Helen. Make the search 1856-1858 and there hundreds. None of the surnames bear any resemblance to Keys.
    The obvious step would be to visit the relevant LRO and search through any Stourbridge records but my family situation effectively rules this out.

2. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Have you been able to discount the Ellen Keyes b Sep Q 1860 W. Bromwich district?

3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I see your problem -- there doesn't appear to be any Keys family in Stourbridge before the marriage of Thomas KEYSE in 1885 -- could he be a relation?

4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I think she is possibly the Ellen Keyes baptised sep 1860 at Oldbury, father Thomas as the birth mentioned above is recorded at Oldbury according to West Midlands BMD.

5. Bonzo Dog

Sadly, yes.:( Her family was readily traced in the census returns 1861-1881. Thank you for helping anyway.

David

6. Bonzo Dog

Thank you, I certainly hope so. I had given up on Stourbridge by 1871, so missed him. It is certainly worth looking into, and possibly worth a £9.25 punt. Fingers crossed.

David C|:-)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  7. Bonzo Dog

Rats, rats, and triple rats.:mad: The guy was really easy to trace, even to the fact he was married on Christmas Day. He did indeed have a brother John, but he was much younger and was only 9 when my g grandma married. The search continues. At least I still have my £9.25!!

David

8. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Oh, b*@#! :(

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  9. Bonzo Dog

Hee hee, LMSO :D

Frustrating yes, but if our searches were as easy to complete as a certain ad infers, how boring would things be. We would have everything done and dusted in no time, then would have to find something else to do.

There would also be none of the elation when we, or someone else on the forums, finds another piece, however tiny, of the jigsaw puzzle.

Right, let's take a fresh look at brick wall number 853.

David

mugwortismy cat and Sis like this.