Brick wall - service records pre-1861

Discussion in 'British Army' started by SearchingVickery, Jan 9, 2023.

1. SearchingVickery

SearchingVickery New Member

I've been searching for my ancestor's service records in the British Army according to his son's baptism records, but I've come up empty-handed thus far. In 1835 when his eldest son was born, my ancestor was in the 85th regiment. I'm not sure where to search for more records than what I've found online, though. I've looked through the Canadian Archives, as my family immigrated here by 1861. But I cannot find any service records or proof of how he and his family got here. I also can't find any suggestion or mention of birth or baptism records within the army. There were 2 other children born between 1835 and 1861 when the first census happened. Does anyone have suggestions as to where else I might be able to look? I live in Canada, unfortunately don't have the budget to travel to England and search in person.
    I'm also curious how often people would have moved within different regiments in that eta of British Army services. If anyone could provide insight in this aspect, I'd appreciate that as well.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi there,

As you posted a similar question before here, I will close that thread. However, have you checked out the information that @Sis provided?

Good luck!

3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

if you give his name and any other info you have we could have a look see if we could find him :)