Bristol Parish Registers 1538-1916

Discussion in 'Useful Links' started by Auburn, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Have just heard that Bristol Archives are uploading their parish registers 1538-1916
    to Ancestry. Not sure if they are images or transcripts.
    Apparently they will be available from 6/9/2019 (tomorrow!)

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thank you @Auburn - a load of my Kent MILSTEDs moved to Bristol at some point. :)

Auburn and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

B&AFHS report that they are newly-created digital images of the actual registers and that they should be on the site within 'a few days'. Here's hoping - I've masses of Bristol ancestors back to the 16th century and looking at the microfiche images is painful at times!

Half Hour, AnnB, Auburn and 2 others like this.
  4. Steve Bumstead

They're up now, but I think it's still a bit unstable - nearly every search comes back 'page not responding'. Perhaps tomorrow?

5. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

I found them! A general search doesn't bring up any results but if you go to the "new records" and choose which category of record then it is possible to search. Or browse the images.I found a couple of marriages I knew existed but hadn't had images for before, and a baptism. Lots more to go through to keep me busy this weekend!

6. Steve Bumstead

Yes, it's odd that they are not included on the home page as new records either - you have to go to 'see all new records'. Once I've found a record I normally shoebox it to provide a shortcut to the exact record batch if I'm likely to use them again.

7. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

It does seem to take a while for new records to be fully integrated into their system. And it does give us a bit of time to do our searching before the inevitable overload makes it all crash!

Daft Bat and Steve Bumstead like this.
  8. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

I was interested to see that these records are now online. Can anyone tell me what I would expect to see in the baptism record of a child born to an unmarried woman in 1908? I already know the father's name won't be there, but I'm hoping there might be an address for the mother.

9. Steve Bumstead

It depends a bit on the incumbent - normally, in a city, you would expect to see a street but not a house number. Sometimes all you get is a district within the parish. You may get the mother's occupation, but more likely it will say 'single woman' or similar

10. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems it may be worth a trip to the library soon, as I haven't got a sub to Ancestry. Hopefully the incumbent of Bristol St. George will have put some useful details in the record I want to see :)