British Newspaper Archive

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Archie's Mum, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Would any body out there in Top Dog Land have access to a newspaper for me please.
    Hastings and St Leonards Observer 12 March 1938.
    Cecelia Pettit and John Bevis mentioned under the article 'An American'
    I can only see a small paragraph and might be able to gain more info by accessing the entire article. Thank you.
    Sue

2. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Hi Sue
    Have'nt come across the article you asked about yet but I did find one dated 28th Aug 1943.
    Instances of the Observer sent abroad being the means of the reuniting of families and friends frequently reaching this office.
    The latest is from Plaistow,New Hampshire,USA and is conveyed in a letter from Mrs Ora A Brown of that address. The writer states that seeing the name of Christine Bevis in a report of the activities of Miss Mildred Eldridges school of dancing,she was greatly interested because her grandparents were named Bevis, and were born at Little Common. They were Cecelia Pettitt Bevis and John Bevis, and the writer who is the youngest daughter of their daughter Mary,informs Mrs Bevis that she has a family of seven sons and one, all married except the two youngest boys. One son is in the services and others will be joining up soon.
    The family connection has been discovered and the letter which was addressed c/o Miss Eldridge has been acknowledged.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Thank you Joanne. This is connected to my other thread Charlotte and Cecelia Pettett.
    Cecelia's brother Henry went to USA and I am in contact with his gggrandson in Kentucky. Another brother is my hubbies gg grandfather, convict Alfred Pettit.
    I shall have to get our Kentucky cousin to do some sifting around over there!:)
    Thank you

Sis likes this.
  4. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Here's another. 199th March 1938
    The family of Bevis
    As you probably saw, a letter under the heading of "An American Inquiry" asking for information about the family of Bevis,appeared in last weeks Observer.
    The inquire Mrs Ora A Brown of 112 Park Hill Avenue,Auburn, Maine,USA will be glad to hear that there are some members of the Bevis family to whom she is apparently relate in this part of the world.
    One reader who saw the inquiry was Mr Harry Bevis of 9 Godwin Road,Clive Vale, and although he has never heard of the writer before, he feels quite certain in view of some of the names mentioned in her letter and particularly in regard to the fact that these " Bevises" of many years ago had musical accomplishments, that Mrs Browns forebears and his own were one and the same family.
    Mr Harry Bevis told a colleague of mine, who called on him this week, that the name Mary Bevis (mentioned by Mrs Brown) was familiar to him. He remembered his grandfather, Joseph Bevis,talking about her.
    She was a good singer and must have been his grandfathers sister.
    Mr Bevis then showed an old photograph of his grandfather, Joseph Bevis with Jim Bevis, a brother and Solomon Stubberfield in the group, remarking as he pointed out the violins and the cello in the picture, that the three had formed and instrumental trio in the old days and played entirely by ear.
    "And music has come right down through our family" added Mr Bevis
    " My grandfather in the picture played the violin: Albert Bevis,my uncle taught me the instrument and I in turn taught my son Albert"
    Mr Bevis also pointed to a photograph of Anthony Collins,the well known conducter and composer of " Tackleway" a work inspired by the Old Town.

" I taught hime the violin when he was eight years old" remarked Mr Bevis.
    Mr Bevis said he cannot trace the name of John Bevis mentioned in Mrs Brown's letter, but is now searching the family album for old photographs and is writing to Mrs Brown

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Family history tragics even back then;)

Good stuff Joanne, thanks a million.

6. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

My pleasure Sue,people have helped me in the past and it's nice to finally be in a position to help others.
    I was,nt able to find your original request but did find another two articles,
    one is the funeral notice for a Mr A.J.Bevis in 1935 and the other is Albert John Bevis,embezzler,1904. Let me know if they are applicable and would like copies

Flora and Sis like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

An embezzler!!!!!! Now that's just made my day.:D
    Not sure if he fits in but would love to read more.
    Thanks again

Sis likes this.
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Hastings and St Leonard’s Observer 12th March 1938
    The following letter has been passed on to the " Observer" by the Clerk to the Battle Rural District Council, in the hope that readers may be able to assist the writer in her quest for information: Dear Sir,—l would like to know if you can give me any information regard to anyone in Battle by the name of Bevis. My grandfather was John Bevis, and he had one or two brothers: they were musical family. He had a sister, Mary Bevis: she married Mr. Godwin. My grandfather, John Bevis married Cecilia Pettitt, of Hastings and St. Leonards. If there are any members of the Bevises I would like to hear from them and to let me know if they are descendants of this same Bevis family. I have a photograph of a lady, Ellen, aged 30. The photograph was taken at the studio of Thomas Mann, jun. photographer. There are two addresses this photographer on the back of the photograph. One is 52 Robertson-street, and the other Bohemia-road, Hastings, with No. 18340. Hoping to hear from some member of the family and hoping you are able to locate them. ADA BOWERING BROWN (Mrs. Ora A. Brown). 112 Park Hill-avenue, Auburn, Maine, U.S.A.

Ann :)

busyglen, Sis, Joanne and 2 others like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Thank you Ann how good is that?
    Bit late for a reply I guess.
    Cecilia and Charlotte have just been names until today. Thanks everyone for your interest. Just hope we have the correct ladies but I feel quite certain they are who I am after.

Flora, Sis, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Archies mum I wouldnt be able to resist that, I would have to write a letter to Mrs Brown
    On the back I would put in answer to a letter sent in 1938, you just never know.

Joanne, Sis, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Knowing Australia Post in would probably take another 80 years to get there o_O

12. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Don't think eithern you or me can wait that long!!:D

Archie's Mum likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

Not at all like me to up in the middle of the night but it is hot, muggy and uncomfortable here at the moment. So I have decided to do something I have never done before. I am going to contact a newspaper in Maine USA, with a copy of that letter and just see if the response comes full circle after all these generations. Maybe just maybe someone descended from Cecelia will make contact.
    What do you think out there? Nothing ventured!

Sis, dizzyme, Flora and 7 others like this.
  14. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Go for it !!! :) it 's a lovely idea

Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  15. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think that's a brilliant idea - can't wait to see what happens :)

Ann

Sis, busyglen and Daft Bat like this.
  16. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Do you have any Face Book contacts? Good stuff often happens there.

Sis likes this.
  17. Archie's Mum

No. I'm a bit of a dinosaur where that's concerned.
    I am having a bit of trouble choosing a newspaper because I have no idea of circulation over there. Perhaps someone over that way could let me know the best one.
    Dodger...you there? You live close. Do you have any idea please. Granny Barb?

Sis likes this.
  18. Archie's Mum

I have also just found a tree with Ada Bowering Brown (the letter writer) and Ora Brown her husband. Scant information though. Nothing back further.
    Might contact the owner as well!:)

Sis and Joanne like this.
  19. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sis and Joanne like this.
  20. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Not really my neck of the woods. The address in post #8 appears to be Auburn, Maine, which doesn't appear to have a newspaper dedicated to that area.

Googling newspapers in Maine by largest circulation mzy pinpoint a helpful person via email.