British Newspaper Archive

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Archie's Mum, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

No!
    There's something to be said for us dinosaurs. We are still being dug up you know and soon to be cloned :p

Sis and Nightryder like this.
  2. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Archies Mum, Great idea, twice I have written letters at random, I had just initials & name as informant on a death cert, as it was a nursing home I just assumed it was a member of staff, I found the same name in uk white pages living on the same street as the home & sent a letter explaining who I was & was there any chance they were the right person ( didnt know if it was a man or woman) & did they remember my great uncle. Got a lovely letter back, yes she was the right person, she did remember my great uncle & there was another woman who used to work in the home, they both wrote back giving me what they could remember, they cleared up the mystery as to why great uncle had spent most of his life in a mental hospital before transfering to the home, in his own words, shell shock from WW1. They also said that 6 weeks before he died he was run over by a car & never recovered, nothing of this on the death cert, best of all they sent a photo.
    The next letter I sent to the occupants of a house I believed my great grandparents owned
    I enclosed an old photo of the house & explained who I was & what I wanted, I also sent a SAE, I never received a reply, I found out months later the house had been converted into flats for the blind.:(

Sis, Flora, AnnB and 3 others like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

It would help to know if Mrs Brown used her own forename or that of her Husband.
    Most Ora entries in censuses are for a male. & so far none suit where we'd like her to be.

I did add 'else'.

4. Archie's Mum

Well. I've done it. Sent my letter. Now lets see what prevails.
    Hubby was Ora Allen Brown and was killed in France in 1943 but his remains brought back and buried in Maine.
    Fingers and knees crossed:D
    There are not too many papers so I sent it to the Twin City Times. Not sure if it was the best choice but I can always send another to someone else.
    Maybe some descendant of Mrs Ada Bowering Brown will get back. Who knows.

dizzyme, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Sorry. Yes you did!

6. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

EMBEZZLEMENT AT ST LEONARDS

Albert John Bevis was charged with embezzling 13s. 6d., the money of Arthur Cleaver,_ Prosecutor, a butcher at St Leonards,said accused had been in his employment about five years, and had been managing the shop in Western road for the past two tears. It was prisoners duty to account for money he received to prosecutors sister, who was the bookkeeper. Accused left prosecutors employment on the 23rd ult., Prosecutor had discharged him. On the following Thursday prosecutor saw accused with reference to the subject of the charge, and showed bills to prisoner, the money for which prosecutor alleged had not been paid over. Prisoner admitted in reference to part of the amount,that he had spent the money. Prosecutor told prisoner that if the money was not forthcoming next day the matter would be put in the hands of the police. Accused said he was taken ill next day, and sent a note asking prosecutor to wait till the day after. Prosecutor sent a message that the matter was out of his hands, _ Gertrude Cleaver denied receiving a slip of paper from prisoner in reference to one of the accounts which prisoner alleged had been paid into the till before Miss Cleaver arrived in the morning. Walter Head Landlord of the Clifton Tavern said he had paid prisoner 4s. 81/2 d. and 13s.6d. Accused receipted the accounts in his presence,_ Helen Leighton gave similar evidence in respect of 3s.7d._ Agnes Longman said she paid accused 10s.9d._Detective Sgt Chandler gave evidence of arrest, accused said he had no recollection of the 10s.9d. He pleaded guilty with regard to the two amounts paid by Mr Head, but would swear he paid the 3s.7d. Other people had access to the till and the desk, He came out of the 1st Sussex Regiment with an exemplary character, _ sentenced to two months hard labour.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Thanks for the names, found them now 1920-1930 same list of 4 children 1st being son Bevis Fairbanks, all except Ada (England) being born in Massachusetts.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Found on the manifest of SS Inervia sailed from Liverpool 15 June 1909
    arrived Boston 24 June 1909
    Passenger number 714 Ada Bowering age 23, paint maker. Address 84 Countess Street Stockport.
    Destination Georgetown Mass., has been in US before 1899-1908
    Joining her Aunt Mrs Harry Brown address Box 15 Georgetown Mass.,
    Place of birth Oldham, England
    Passengers 714-716 are travelling together
    (Mrs Harry Brown, aunt is the mother of Ora Brown?) Looks like she married her cousin.
    This is the best ship manifest I have ever laid eyes on.
    Every passenger has their life story recorded! Almost

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.