Buried treasure...

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

in my garden, a recent weeding of my front garden has turned up a 1957 Australian sixpenny piece, it's in a pretty grotty condition, I'm not sure how well it will clean up. :D

In the late 1970s I was lifting a piece of turf in the grass strip outside my garden in order to plant a tree and lo and behold there was on top of the soil an Australian sixpenny piece, also QEII vintage, can't remember the date of that one because it got mixed up with a couple of other Aussie sixpenny pieces I have.

Must have been a pretty tight fisted lot living round here if all they can lose are sixpences, it's got me wondering if I should hire a Metal Detector. :D

2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

You never know what you will find! Good luck !! We have used our son-in-law's metal detector and all we have found are old nails! :(

Findem, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

If you find a 1932 penny......I’ll be right there.:nailbiting:

Findem and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Metal detectors can provide the most fun you can have. Years ago, Bob and I and a couple of friends, spent many a happy hour on local farms seeing what we could find. We never found that elusive 'hoard' but little treasures including musket balls, buckles and buttons of all shapes, sizes and ages, coins, all sorts of stuff connected with horses (especially horseshoes).... We invested in various books to identify the age of the finds and it was thrilling to discover that we had turned up a buckle dated in the 1600's or a very early horseshoe. We were very lucky inasmuch as one of our friends worked on one of the farms and knew all the owners, so we had no trouble in getting permission to 'hunt' :). The most valuable thing we found? One of the farm owners gold cigarette lighter which he had been given as a 21st birthday present (how things have changed) and which he had lost 30 odd years previous to us finding it!

Findem, Chimp, LianeH and 5 others like this.
  5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

We did find a Elizabeth 1st Sixpence in the garden way before metal detectors were invented. It was in such bad state and far from rare it was virtually worthless (you can buy them on ebay for less than £2). Dad still has it at home somewhere.

Findem, Daft Bat and AnnB like this.