Can’t find what happened to Thomas and Elizabeth Boulton

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by Adam McGregor, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

Thomas and Elizabeth married in Leeds in 1790, and had the following children:
    Joseph, christened in Wakefield in 1791
    Thomas, christened in Wakefield in 1793
    Henry, christened in Wakefield in 1795
    Mary, christened in Wakefield in 1797
    Elizabeth, christened in Wakefield in 1800

Although the children were christened in Wakefield, I believe the family lived in nearby Stanley, which didn’t have a church until much later. I don’t know much about Thomas Boulton, but Elizabeth was christened Elizabeth Hepstonstal in Wakefield in 1769. Why they married in Leeds is unknown to me; perhaps a clue to Thomas’ origins. However, I saw a few christenings in Leeds around the right time.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

The banns for the marriage in Leeds in 1790 give their residences as Chapel Allerton (Thomas) and Holbeck (Elisabeth) - both areas in Leeds. There are also quite a lot of baptisms of children of a Thomas Bo(u)lton in Leeds in the 1790s, so I'd be far from certain that this is the right marriage for your family.

Moreover, there were quite a few Elizabeth Heptinstalls (variant spellings available for both elements of her name) born in that area at the right sort of time, so without further evidence I'm not sure how you can be sure the one who married in Leeds is the one baptised in Wakefield.

Going back one or two steps, are you sure of Thomas's wife's name? Thomas Bolton isn't exactly an uncommon name, so there might be other possible marriages.

Adam McGregor likes this.
  3. Adam McGregor

Oh dear. I’d seen the christening for an Elizabeth Hepstonstall in Wakefield in 1769 (being 21 in 1790), so thought that might’ve been it. I hadn’t seen the marriage banns. Thomas’ wife is always Elizabeth on all the Wakefield christenings.

4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm struggling to find any other marriages. There was another Thomas Boulton and Elizabeth in Leeds in about 1785, if I remember correctly - by licence, and I think an occupation was given.

Do you have an occupation for Thomas that might help to set him apart in the few registers that give occupations?

Adam McGregor likes this.
  5. Adam McGregor

Yes, that was the frustrating thing. I’ve not viewed any of the original scans of the baptisms, but just went through the FMP transcripts and no mention of an occupation. I can’t see any possible burials for either Thomas or Elizabeth, except for one for an Elizabeth Boulton in Dewsbury in 1831, but even that seems a bit of a stretch.