Can I ask for a Baptism look up?

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by The Artful Dodger, Apr 6, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I am to 'cheap' ro buy the birth certificate, but I think the mother may have been Elizabeth who married the father 4th q. 1872.

Name: William Herbert Hodges
    Date: Oct.-Dec. 1873
    District: Nottingham
    County: Nottinghamshire
    Volume: 7b
    Page: 247

Thanks

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Not easy, Colin.

If you have a look here, you will see all of the towns that are covered by the Nottingham registration district. Break that down further, and you will have each town having more than one parish.

Rather than a registration district, you will need to provide the name of the town at the very least. :)

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

Thank you for this link Jan.

The marriage registration - 7c/295 - was in Basford Oct.-Dec. 1872

By 1881 the father was married to another lady named Augusta, with whom he had another child. The census ref. RG11/3318/120/19.
    Address was 1 Market Street. Father was a Bank Manager.

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Do you think there is a possibility that his parents were William Hodges and Augusta Hodges of Mansfield Notts? if so there is a tree on Ancestry.

The tree is Meade-Richards2012 do you have access to Ancestry. It seems to be the person you are looking for.

5. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Interestingly this Market Street address is in Mansfield (a town about 15 miles north of Nottingham and nothing to do with the City of Nottingham).

6. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

This Registration District covers most of the then City of Nottingham. There were umpteen parish churches within this area and someone would have to search for days to find the right one. It'll have to be the birth certificate this time I'm afraid Colin.

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Well I suppose that's a bit of an exaggeration but I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it :(.

There is a list of some of the churches here under "Church Records" > http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/Nottingham/#ChurchRecords

There would have been others as well within the whole of the Nottingham Registration District.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Daft Bat likes this.
  8. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Be careful in interpreting these references. Just because two people have matching references in the GRO index does not mean they married one another.

In this case I presume the possible earlier marriage for William Abraham Hodges is the one in the Basford district in the last quarter of 1872 (vol. 7b, p.295).

The four people with those references (from FreeBMD) are:
    • John Beardsley
    • William Abraham Hodges
    • Elizabeth Letts
    • Sarah Amelia Mason
    Googling some of these names finds a transcript of marriages at Ilkeston which shows that it was John Beardsley who married Elizabeth Letts, while William Abraham Hodges (32, gent, of Nottingham) married Amelia Sarah Mason.

http://www.
    oldilkeston.co.uk/st-marys-marriages-1872-1881/

William Herbert Hodges may well be their son. 'Oxford Men and their Colleges, 1880-1892' (on Ancestry) has this entry:

'Hodges, William Herbert, born at Sherwood, Notts, 13 Oct 1873; 1S. [i.e. eldest son of] William Abraham, banker. WADHAM, matric. 18 Oct., 92, aged 19 (from Banister court school, Southampton), exhibitioner 92.'

9. The Artful Dodger

I am very appreciative of all the posts received so far. Yes, I may be perceived as 'cheap' but William Hebert Hodges is my 3rd cousin 3X removed and budgetary constraints mean I have to consider all 'free' ideas first.

10. The Artful Dodger

Brilliant - Jane - thank you.

11. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Absolutely Colin - it's always worth a try :).

12. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

"Born in Sherwood" narrows the number churches considerably and as the father was a banker there's a good chance he was a member of one of the large City churches (St Mary's at a guess). I'll pop down the library tomorrow and have a look in the registers of the most obvious churches.

arryboy and The Artful Dodger like this.
  13. The Artful Dodger

Thanks Flook - I appreciate it. Incidentally the father was only a Bank Manager - not the owner of one.

14. The Artful Dodger

I had to read this twice - I thought it said - exhibitionist.

So now - I am a 'dirty old man' as well as 'cheap'

15. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Oh I'll think you'll find that a Bank Manager in those days was a man of considerable social standing.
    I've researched the probable churches now (that was interesting to do) - my money's on St Mary's in Arnold (but then my horse fell in the Grand National on Saturday so don't put any money on it being so! :)).

16. The Artful Dodger

Asking what was to me a 'simple' request, got me a lot more information than I had expected. Thank you all.

arryboy likes this.
  17. The Artful Dodger

I once bet 5 [of only 5 entries] to win at a quid. I couldn't lose - right? - WRONG - 4 fell and the 5th collapsed 50 yards from the finishing line and so never made it.

I quit betting on 'jumpers' afterwards.

Flook likes this.
  18. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Just an oddity I've discovered. William Herbert was at school with Charles Miller who was responsible for introducing football to Brazil>

http://www.
    dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/hampshireheritage/4474010.Saints_player_introduced_football_to_Brazil/

They are listed together on the 1891 Census RG12/927/16/26 and just below Charles Miller's entry is one for Cecil Hodges, born Mansfield, who must be William's brother.

19. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Well I have checked the Baptism Registers for the 6 most likely churches in Nottingham and Arnold but have failed to find William Herbert's baptism. That doesn't mean to say it's not somewhere though.

However I have managed to find the baptism of Charles Stuart Hodges. At the church of St Peter & St Paul, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. 27th October 1875. Son of William Abraham and Amelia Sarah Hodges. Address: Market Place [Mansfield]. Occupation: Bank Manager.

20. The Artful Dodger

Thank you Flook for posts #18 and 19 and so I went looking for the birth registration of Charles Stuart Hodges in Mansfield. Couldn't find that name but there was a Cecil Stuart Hodges registered Oct-Dec. 1875 in Mansfield.

I then confirmed the 1891 census entry with William as boarders at school in Hampshire and he is named as Cecil.

Another item of interest is the 1881 census - RG11/3716/96/43 - West Derby, Lancashire. The family was large with a big house and 8 servants - surnamed CLIFF.

William Cliff was head. He was aged 68 and employed as a self employed Merchant and Ship Owner. Note the maiden name of Wm. Abraham's 2nd wife - Augusta.