Can I ask for a burial look up?

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by The Artful Dodger, Jun 29, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Too late to edit - could a correction be made to the reference? - s/b EL/17/11

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Done. ;)

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Great stuff! It just goes to show what genealogical treasures are waiting to be found by intrepid genealogists who venture beyond parish registers.

Sue036, AnnB and The Artful Dodger like this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

Yes I was getting a little desperate - and now I have another desperation query -
    a marriage Dec 1688 taken from BT's in Gorran between an Edward GOLLY and a Florence who I think may be a mis-trancription of Frances. How do I make sure [1] and find her surname [2]?

5. The Artful Dodger

It would appear that some time prior to 10 December 1718 - Margaret Golly nee Vercoe - became a widow.

A new lease was drawn up - EL/18/22 - 10 December 1718 on Consideration of a payment of 5pounds - Rent and Heriot unchanged. 99 years or the lives of Margaret, her daughter also named Margaret and Edward Golly senior - brother of her husband John's father .

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. Huncamunca

The only way to be sure what it says is to get sight of the original register and/or Bishop's transcript. If they're not online and haven't been filmed by the LDS then you'd need to get a copy from the county archives.

Hopefully Edward's wife's surname will be given in the marriage entry but I cannot guarantee it: I have seen parish registers which just say something like 'John Smith and his wife were married'. :(

7. The Artful Dodger

My 'gut feeling' is that I'm not going to get the answer.

Cornwall OPC has only one marriage for a Golly in Gorran in 1668 and that is for John and Duens/Duance Collicote 23 February 1668 - Phillmore's.

As for the transcript for Edward and Frances - here is what I got from my contact:
    Parish Records Collection
    Groom's Forenames - Edward
    Groom's Surname - Golly
    Date - ?? Dec. 1668
    Bride's Forenames - Florence
    Bride's Surname - ?
    Parish - Gorran
    County - Cornwall
    Remarks - BT only

My contact thinks [as do I] that forename is a mis-transcription as all baptisms indicate mother as FRANCES. To support this she is named as Frances in the lease of 2 June 1680 - EL/17/18

We are also advised that all that have been transcribed so far and the only original documents available are
    Phillmore's 1668-1812
    BT's 1750-1773

8. Huncamunca

According to the GENUKI page for Gorran, the Cornwall Record Office holds 'Baptisms 1661 - 1989, Burials 1661 - 1989, Marriages 1688 - 1975, Boyd's Marriage Index 1607 - 1812, BTs 1607 - 1673.'

http://www.
    genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Gorran/

I have looked (not very hard, but unsuccessfully) for a list of parish register holdings on the CRO website. Perhaps you will have more luck . . . if not, then I would suggest e-mailing the record office to check what original registers they have for Gorran.

9. Huncamunca

Oh dear, sorry I only just noticed that the marriages start too late for you. :( But I would still advise getting a copy of the entry from the Bishop's transcript so you can decide for yourself what Edward's wife's name is.

10. The Artful Dodger

Don't fret, Jane - it's only an 8x Gt.-grand uncle and his spouse.

With all my questions to the CRO lately, they'll probably suggest that I hire a dedicated researcher. :D

11. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Good heavens Colin. The way you're forging ahead (back) you will soon be finding the marriage of Noah and wife:)

12. The Artful Dodger

Well - I've guilty of jumping to conclusions in the past - so now now I have names and relationships which are beyond the scope of parish registers.

Sadly, though, I am almost sure that someone, somewhere [and not on Top Dog] will burst my balloon and I'll have nothing of a family tree - but at least the dream is still alive!!

13. The Artful Dodger

James Golly and Jane Harris[s?] were married 4 Nov 1701 and during their marriage they baptised 2 daughters named Jane.

Jane - #1 - was baptised on 26 December 1705 in Gorran.

Jane - #2 - was baptised on 9 April 1711 in Gorran. She never married and was buried in Mevagissey on 14 August 1795.

Jane #1 obviously died and about a dozen trees on Ancestry [and probably more on other site] have her dying around the time of the birth of Jane #2. Those folks haven't found a burial for her.

Neither can I - hence my request.

Thanks

14. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The question in post #33 was started on a new thread. However, as it was asked originally back in June, I have moved it from the new thread to the end of the original one. That way, members will be able to see what action has already been undertaken. :)