1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant find Great Grandfather

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Jon Wilkins, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jon Wilkins

Jon Wilkins New Member

All I have of my Great Grandfather on my Fathers side is a name,an order of bastardy and rumor that he ended up in Texas and founded a tool company that was involved with the oil industry. The name on the certificate of bastardy is William A Reed and the year was 1894. The document was Muskingum county Ohio. I'm a blue collar guy and have no idea how to go about this.

Attached Files:

GrannyBarb and Archie's Mum like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hello Jon, welcome C|:-)
    Well. Good news. His birth registration turns up on Family Search. He was registered on the 14th February 1893, father William Reed mother Mary Wilkens (Wilkins) He was registered at Falls Township Muskingum, Ohio. No first name.
    If you don't know about Family Search, just google the name and have a play. You have to sign in but it is free. You will soon get to know your way around the site. It's easy, even for me who is very technology deficient.
    Can you please let us know his first name so we can play some more and give you a hand in finding out more about him?

Chimp and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Sorry. He was registered under the name of Wilkins.

Chimp likes this.
  4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Welcome, Jon. C|:-)Sue is correct that FamilySearch is a good starting point. Typical records to look for are Birth, Marriage and Death (BMD), Federal Census reports, which in the U.S. are every decade, and possible military service. On the search form, be sure to limit to United States.

Um, I'm a little confused. Are you looking for the son, registered as Wilkins, or the father, Reed?

Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Ooh yes Barb. Now I believe we are after William Reed. I’ve been searching for the son.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Google Books have lots of hits on early Petroleum industry about a William Reed who was part owner of an oil field (in PA, I think) called the Reed field, where something happened in the 1860's. I couldn't read it because my connection is very slow lately.

Also ran across hits of Petroleum and business reports about a William Reed in Mexia, TX. One says he was with The Trinity Company - but Mexia is in the Trinity River basin, and every other business has "Trinity" in it.