Caroline Heath (b. 1823 Elstead, Surrey)

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I am trying to find out if this Caroline is the Caroline who married John NOON, according to FreeBMD in Farnham Mar 1845

A Caroline and John Noon head off to USA from Liverpool in 1848, with 2 year old Alfred (amongst others).Ellis Island records suggest they are Irish, but they are found in Andover, Massacusetts in 1850, all born England. Have not yet traced further US records.

An Alfred Noon was born in the Hambledon district in Dec 1845 (Hambledon contains Elstead), so that fits with my Caroline.

I am confused by a record on FamilySearch which is a summary transcription of a newspaper Family Notice (it doesn't say which Newspaper) on The British Newspaper Archive. This seems to suggest the marriage occurred on 25 Jan 1845 in Leicester. I was hoping to see Caroline's father mentioned but it only says Mr Heath (I really wanted it to say Robert)

Just to be confusing a John and Caroline Noon appear in Leicester in 1861, but there was a marriage in 1853, the bride being Caroline Richmond. How this couple relate to my possible couple I am not yet sure.

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Searching on Alfred Noon on AmericanAncestors.org : (NEHGS)
    found a Masonic Lodge membership card:
    Name: Noon, Alfred
    Nativity: 1845-12-8, England
    Residence: Everett (Massachusetts)
    Membership: Palestine (lodge), 1900-12-13
    Deceased: 1926-2-28

Looking to see what other possibles show up.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. GrannyBarb

In the 1850 Federal Census, John, Caroline and Alfred are in Andover, Essex County, Mass.

In the 1855 State Census, in Topsfield, Essex County, an Alfred Noon, age 10, b. England, is in this household:
    Stephen G Hiler (I think), age 40, occ: M.E. born (blank could mean Mass, but a few rows up is someone b. New Hampshire and all blanks in between);
    Sarah M Hiler, age 46;
    John Smith, age 30; occ: M.E., born Ohio
    Betsey D. Elwell, age 36
    then Alfred Noon as above.

Still looking...

4. GrannyBarb

1860 Federal Census in Blandford, Hampden Co, Mass: (NEHGS only has index records - I'll have to cross-ref on HeritageQuest to view the page)
    John Noon, age 42, b. England;
    Lydia E Noon, age 30, b. Maine;
    Alfred Noon, age 14, b. England;
    -end of records on this page - may be more on next page...
    Yup!
    "Babe of Not Named J Noon", age 0 (zero), b. Massachusetts

This seems to indicate Caroline is no longer with the family, perhaps deceased.

Still looking, but may have to take a break between posts.

5. GrannyBarb

I missed Alfred in 1870.

In 1880, he's in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Mass, age 34, married, not head of household. His wife is Jane L. Noon, age 25, b. Mass, as are both her parents. Again, I can find out more on HeritageQuest.

Still looking...

6. GrannyBarb

Here's a marriage register from 1880 (April 17, I think) for Alfred Noon, 34, clergyman, son of John and Caroline, residence Cambridge, Mass to Jane L Taylor, 25, of Dunstable, Mass, daughter of Oliver and Sarah M. It's his 2nd marriage (!) and her first. Levi Brigham, Clergyman, officiate.

ETA: The register in Dunstable says May 17, 1880 and adds that Jane is a teacher.

Still looking... ETA - found them in 1900, Everett, Mass, but have to take that break now. Will continue after supper!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

There is a burial for a Caroline Noon (born 1823) in South Church Cemetery, Andover, Essex County Massachusetts - died 9 Nov 1851.

Alfred Noon married Maria A(melia) Cook on 29 June 1869, South Hadley, Hampshire County - he gives his parents as John and Caroline Noon. He is 23 years old and a Clergyman.

Ancestry has a record for him in their U.S., School Catalogs, 1765-1935 (Conneticut, Weslyan University 1873). It gives details of his wife, marriage and children. It also says that he was born on 8 December 1845 in Elstead, Surrey, England. So looks like this is your family.

mugwortismy cat and GrannyBarb like this.
  8. Jellylegs

I found Alfred and Jane L Noon arriving in England on 1 Sep 1925 - he is 79 and retired - she is 70. Ship Minnekahda. Proposed address in the UK - 1 Cockspur Street, London. Intended future residence, US

mugwortismy cat and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. Jellylegs

The U.S. passport application of Alfred Noon (together with his wife Jane L. Noon) dated 29 Aug 1918 gives lots of info. It also includes photo's of both Alfred and Jane :)

10. Jellylegs

Quite a lot around on Alfred, including gravestone for him and his wife and some of his family. Listed under Rev. Alfred Noon.

11. Jellylegs

I think father John was possibly a Rev. also. Married Lydia E. Noble on 30 March 1859.

There is no photo of the gravestone, but you can ask for one on Find A Grave. I have a feeling that Caroline, John and Lydia will all be mentioned on the same gravestone as the ID numbers follow on (with a gap of one, so could be a deceased child - ah, Edward C Noon, aged 4).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    GrannyBarb and mugwortismy cat like this.
  12. GrannyBarb

I'm back and looking at other sites:
    Findagrave has Noon listings at South Church Cemetery, Andover, Mass
    Alice L. Noon
    15 Aug 1850 – 30 Sep 1852

Caroline Noon
    1823 – 9 Nov 1851

Edward C. Noon
    20 Aug 1848 – 9 Oct 1852

Rev John Noon
    1818 – 4 Aug 1881

Lydia E. Noon
    1829 – 1909
    This is a copy/paste, hence the formatting - just made them unclicky!

Snap, JellyLeggs!

13. GrannyBarb

I tried looking for a death record for Caroline to see if parents names might be listed, but haven't found anything yet. Since John was also a Rev, there may be something in a bio on him, if we can find one. (hint, hint) ;) Will also see if I can find a news article anywhere.

14. GrannyBarb

No more luck for me tonite. :reading:

15. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

Courtesy of BNA:

Leicestershire Mercury 25 Jan 1845:
    Marriages:
    On the 7th inst., at the Independent Chapel, Farnham, Surrey, Mr John Noon, formerly of this town, to Caroline, daughter of Mr Heath, grocer, Elstead, Surrey.

So John was from Leicester.

Jane

16. Jellylegs

Well done Jane. I didn't think to look in newspapers - probably because I don't have much luck finding anything in them.

17. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

This may be nothing to do with the John who married, but in the Deaths column of the same paper:
    (18th inst.), aged 78, Mr John Noon, Paradise-row, in this town.

And on the same page:
    ACCIDENTAL DEATH - On the evening of Friday 17th inst., a man named Joseph Noon, 78 years of age, and apparently in a state of intoxication, fell down in the Gallowtree-gate, and being found by the police in that situation, was taken to the Station house, where he remained until 9 o'clock, when he was allowed to go home in company with his son. On their arrival there it was discovered that the old man's arm was broken, and Mr Bowmar, surgeon, was sent for, but his assistance was of no avail as Noon expired the next afternoon. An inquest was held on the body on Monday, and a verdict of "Accidental Death" returned.

ETA: "John" in the death notice, "Joseph" in the article - but probably the same man.
    Jane

18. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

1 Cockspur Street was the offices of the Atlantic Transport Line, which, in 1929 offered "New York and back for £40" :cool:

The Rev. Alfred Noon was a member of Order of the Sons of Temperance Friendly Society -
    The Scotsman 1st June 1909
    SONS OF TEMPERANCE; The business of the three days' annual conference of the Order of the Sons of Temperance Friendly Society (National Division of Great Britain and Ireland) was opened yesterday in the Queen's Rooms, Clifton Street, Glasgow. Mr Robert Smith M. W. P., of West Hartlepool, presided over a large gathering, which included Brothers Rev. Alfred Noon, Most Worthy Associate of the National Division of North America; Rev. D. E. Miller, Past Worthy Patriarch of North America; and James Arnott, Grand Worthy Associate of Western Australia. At the outset Bailie Shaw Maxwell on behalf of the Lord Provost and Corporation of Glasgow, extended to the delegates a hearty welcome to the city. He said he had noticed the extraordinary progress of their Order, and had noticed, further, the marvellous progress they had been able to make amongst the young......

19. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Wiki Tree has a small bio on Alfred Noon AM. He complied a book on The History of Ludlow, Massachusetts and an 'image of him can be found on page 510'.
    He made an application for a passport, post #9, as he was looking to move to the Philippines as it would have been better for his and his wife's health but he died before he was able to make the trip. His second wife Jane Louisa passed away in 1943.
    Alfred and Jane are buried at Central Cemetery Dunstable Massachusetts.

20. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

And just to add to what everyone else has found, 7 December 1823 at Elstead, Surrey, Caroline daughter of Robert & Sarah HEATH, Elstead, Labourer - image available to view on Ancestry. 1841 census of Elstead (HO107/1072/1, folio 26, page 8) Robert HEATH & family including Caroline are living in the Village, he being described as a Grocer, which all seems to fit with the Findagrave NOON listings, etc.

Janet