Catherine Coghlan 1806 - 1875

Discussion in 'County Kerry' started by spison, Oct 16, 2016.

1. spison

spison Well-Known Member

This request is related to Limerick but I couldn't find a Limerick section. If necessary would a moderator fix this for me? Ta!

I am investigating Catherine Coughlan (and numerous variations) from my local area - not my family. I need some advice about where to go to get the information I am seeking. I have accessed the online Irish Newspapers and the British Newspapers and found one tiny article. I want to know more. Maybe I am just rubbish at searching them. I have not accessed any articles on FMP but if there are any there let me know and I can easily get access to them.

Catherine was transported to NSW for seven years aboard the Caroline in 1833. She was found guilty of murder! While I have not investigated lengths of sentence for murder, seven years transportation seems rather a lenient sentence. All I have found was in the Kerry Post on 28 July 1832, that indicated that a full year after the murder, Catherine was finally arrested for murdering Michael Kennedy at the fair at Stone Hall, Limerick, in July 1831. Her NSW records indicated that she had been tried at the Limerick Assizes in July 1832. There was no specific date for her trial in either the indent or pm the certificate of freedom. I want to know more about the circumstances of the murder and trial.

It is still early in the research but I strongly suspect that Catherine's mother was also transported aboard the Almorah in 1830. I have not looked for Mary Coughlan in the newspapers. I have wondered if what I consider was a lenient sentence for Catherine was because her mother was in NSW. Other members of the family (possibly Catherine's brother and perhaps a cousin) also ended up in NSW but I am still working out how they got there and who they are.

As far as I have yet ascertained, Catherine died childless so I want someone to know her story.

Any suggestions of where I can go to find details of either the July 1831 murder or the July 1832 trial?

Many thanks
    Jane

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

If you have access to FMP follow this link. It gives the case.

Code:
    http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/ViewArticle?id=BL%2F0000882%2F18321013%2F037%2F0008&browse=true

spison likes this.
  3. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Thanks Chimp. I will check it out on Saturday and see where that takes me.

Chimp likes this.
  4. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Hmmm! I am not so silly that I assumed a UK link would work in the Australian version of FMP of which our FHS has a world subscription but I could not find the case. I kept getting a message that this particular set of records was not part of our subscription. I checked in the Courts and Legal section under the multitude of spellings and for 1832 but it was not there. Where should I have looked Chimp?

I need to know if findmypast.co.uk has some different records to findmy past.com.au as I will join the best one for a month or so to get this and other potential Irish convict court records - of which I have a few! Can some helpful person who subscribes to the Australian version see how I missed the record for Catherine Coghlan - if in fact I did - and let me know? Thanks! That way I will know which FMP to join or trial.

Jane

5. Chimp

Give me a while and I will try transcribing it ;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Chimp

Gosh they wrote strangely back then. If you ask me the following sounds like a family feud. (and a car in 1831??? definitely says 'car')

Dublin Observer 13 October 1832 - Linerick Assizes

James Coghlan and Catherine Coghlan were indicted for the murder of Michael Kennedy, of Croker Park, on the 26th of September, 1831.

Mary Kennedy sworn and examined by Mr. Henn—Recollects being at the fair of Stonehall, on the 26th of Sept. 1831; recollects her son going to the fair after his work; knows the prisoner, who gave her son a blow of a stick on the skull, in M‘Donogh's public house; also knows Catherine Coghlan, who struck him with a churn-staff; her son lived only until next day; he was taken home in a car.

Cross-examined by Mr. Freeman - Was never before a witness in this case her husband came forward to prosecute Downeast atthe last assizes; the Kennedys are quiet people; went with her son to the fair; when they were in the public house they did not know the prisoners were there; were drinking first in the kitchen; drank a little porter; drank no punch; believes she took a glass of whiskey; never burnt a house; does not know who broke M*'Donnell's windows; gave no shout for the Kennedys, nor does not recollect her son to have shouted.

Bridget Kennedy sworn, and examined by Mr. Woulfe—Is sister to M. Kennedy; was at the public-house; her father, mother, and brother were there, and her brother was killed; knows who killed her brother; the prisoner killed him; James Coghlan came to him and asked his name, and gave him a blow of a wattle, and his sister came and gave him a blow of a churn-staff she pulled Kennedy off the table, and when her brother was standing up he received the blows; had a glass of whiskey drank; was not let finish it; the two Coghlans were then placed under the bed tick; does not know the reason they beat her.

Cross-examined by Mr. Freeman—Was in the kitchen with her father, mother, two brothers and Shaughnessy; were drinking; was not a witness at the last Assizes; was not in Court at Downe's trial; does not know the cause of the prisoner hiding under the tick; did never hear of Mr. Fosberry's man, Keeffe, being killed, as the Kennedy faction took nothing in the public house; does not know whether her party were drinking in the room; threw no stones; did not go out of the house; does not know whether the windows were broken.

Doctor Griffin sworn and examined by Mr. Henn—Is a physician; thinks the deceased died by cuts on the head, one on the back, the other on the front. To the Court—The wounds were inflicted by violent weapons.

John Gason, a policeman, sworn and examined by Mr. Woulfe-Arrested the prisoner at Ballystein; often searched, for him before he apprehended him; it was on the 3d Sept. last, and he denied his name to be Coghlan; he said his name was Mcehan, or some name like it; searched for his sister also.

Henry Blake, Chief of Police, sworn—Arrested the female prisoner on the 12th July :ast; denied her name, and said it was Ranihy.

DEFENCE.

Maurice White sworn and examined by Mr. Freeman—Was at the public house on the night Kennedy was killed; was drinking with the prisoners in the house, but at different tables; young Kennedy drank his health; a fight took place in the room at the table; Kennedys were there; the candles were put out, the deceased attempted to strike the prisoner, but he put it off; it was after this the prisoner struck the blow with the stick; they were standing on the table at the time.

His Lordship charged the jury to find a verdict of manslaughter. The jury having retired, shortly after came into Court with verdiet of—Manslaughter. His Lordship then sentenced the prisoners to. be transported; James Coghlan for life, and Catherine Coghlan for seven years.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Thankyou Chimp. I do so appreciate the transcription.

So sad! The night seemed to begin so happily. Still they all settled down - sort of - in my suburb by the looks of things. Still looking for James' arrival and potentially for Mary, Catherine's mother, and a brother named Matthew too.

I really do want to access this and potentially some other trials so if anyone can answer my questions about FMP and the records in Australia as compared to the UK and why I couldn't find this case, that will help me with my subscription dilemma.

Jane

8. Chimp

I have a world sub. so used Irish Newspapers.

The papers it appeared in were -

11 October 1832 - Dublin Evening Post - Dublin, Dublin, Republic of Ireland

13 October 1832 - Dublin Observer - Dublin, Dublin, Republic of Ireland

13 October 1832 - Clonmel Herald - Clonmel, Tipperary, Republic of Ireland

9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

That's about what I made it Terry, I wasn't quick enough...... I suspect the 'car' should read 'cart' but whoever did the typesetting left off the 't'. It was certainly reported in a very odd fashion, maybe there wasn't much room to spare in the paper and they had to cut it down? I had intended to try and find whatever happened at the previous assizes but ......I'll try and get around to it later on.

Chimp likes this.
  10. Chimp

Could this be James' certificate of freedom record?
    ANZ_AUSREC_1017_00117.jpg

11. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Yes Chimp. (Just got back from a night out.)

James was transported aboard the Java and arrived on 8 November 1833, three months after his sister had arrived. He was a big man at 6 feet tall so wouldn't be good to meet in a pub brawl - especially if he was the aggressor. The Java indent and the Warrants of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland only record that he had a seven year sentence and not life.

I will check again for the FMP Newspapers section and then decide whetehr I need a subscription.

Jane

Chimp likes this.
  12. spison

spison Well-Known Member

James Coghlan married Ann Sanders at Raymond Terrace in 1857. They had two daughters, Mary and Catherine A. James was killed by a falling tree in Newcastle in 1861 and his death registration identified his parents as Matthew and Mary - the same as those of his sister.

According to online trees James' second daughter, who they identify as Sarah Catherine A., had been born at "Styles Grove", which brings me full circle because investigating the site called "Styles Grove" a spot half-way between Wallsend and Minmi, is what began this investigation. Mrs Styles (more correctly Stiles) had been referred to in historical newspapers as challenging an aboriginal person approaching her house - one of very few references to aboriginal people in the newspapers in the area. Catherine Coghlan had married Henry Stiles in 1834, eight months after she arrived in NSW.

If I confirm Mary Coghlan I will let you all know.

Jane

Chimp likes this.
  13. Chimp

Please do :)

14. spison

spison Well-Known Member

They're coming out of the woodwork!
    Sister: Johanna Murnane w/o Dennis Murnane arrived in 1841 per the Pearl as assisted immigrants.

Chimp likes this.