1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Church early 1900's

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kernowmaid, Jan 12, 2018.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

My gran & siblings were born late 1890's, early 1900's, brought up as devout (Irish descended) Catholics in Sherburn in Elmet, Yorkshire.

Until her death in 2016, I used to phone my aunt weekly - she would rattle on about the family and I scribbled in my notebook. She told me that her mother (my gran) & siblings walked the 2 miles to church twice a day for Mass.

Having just finished writing up the chapter (I'm doing a history for the next generation) on these gt-grandparents I sent it to my cousins for comment/correction ... one cousin (did History at Uni, knows everything ... but thought an uncle was called Manuel 'cos she only referred to transcripts - he was Manus :eek:) has poo-pooed the idea that Mass would be held twice a day during the week.

Now I bow to her superior knowledge - she was brought up as Catholic, I was sort of C of E/Methodist - but I'd like to know for sure:

Would Mass have been held twice daily in the early 1900's?

Thanks in advance!
    Jane

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Good old Wikipedia says:
    From this, I would surmise that yes, it would be possible for Mass to be held twice a day.

I see that St Joseph the Worker Catholic Church in Sherburn in Elmet was not built until the 1980s - have you identified which church it would be that they walked to? If so, perhaps contacting the church and asking them direct might be the answer. :)

kernowmaid and Sis like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

It could well be this one, which is located 2 miles north of Sherburn in Elmet. :)

kernowmaid and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. kernowmaid

Oh yes - it was the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Scarthingwell.
    Huge name. Huge building (Mr Google has photos).
    Built on the instruction of the Maxwell-Stuart family of Scarthingwell Hall, for whom several of my ancestors worked.

Jane

That's it! You found it while I was typing, DB :)

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. kernowmaid

According to my know-it-all cousin, "the owners of Scarthingwell would have the final word on when Mass was said"

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  6. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Active Member

1 Priest equals one Mass per day except Sunday when two can be said. However during that time period there would more than likely be more than one Priest in the Parish so however many Priests is the total number of Masses possible per day. The exception being as Daft Bat as already said if there was only one Priest and the local population warranted two Masses a day then the Local Bishop could grant permission for two.

During the 60's and early seventies the Church I attended had 6 Masses on Sunday and 3 Masses Monday to Saturday, there were 3 Priests in the Parish

7. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

My understanding is that you cannot take Holy Communion twice in a day which as devout Catholics they would if attending Mass. Perhaps the second service would be for Evensong or some such?

8. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Active Member

At that time you would be correct but that wouldn't mean they would not attend twice a day, as they would just not receive the second time.

kernowmaid, Ma-dotcom and AnnaJenny like this.
  9. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Yes you are right. I was just throwing another thought into the mix. As a child I was taken to church twice on Sundays (three times if you counted afternoon Sunday school!) but only the morning was Mass.

kernowmaid and WelchRegLost like this.