1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central London District Schools, Hanwell

Discussion in 'Institutions' started by Flook, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Somewhere some time ago I looked at records of individual children who were at this school. In particular it showed when they went home on holiday. I thought the records were on Ancestry but I can't find them! I have access to Ancestry, FMP & The Genealogist. Can anyone help?

If it helps, one that I'm looking for is Lilian Sophia Lewis born 23 July 1907 who came from Southwark. She was definitely mentioned in the records I saw.

2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

It's wonderful how posting a query spurs you on to double your own efforts to find the answer.

More by luck than judgement I've found the records I want on Ancestry under London, England, Poor Law School District Registers 1852-1918. Thank you to anyone who may have been searching for me.

I suppose it's partly me but Ancestry's records, wonderful that they are, sometimes seem to take half a lifetime to find!

Bay Horse, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I only got as far as FMP and they were not on there (as you know now:D)

I am glad I am not the only one who cannot find records on Anc - and I do use the card catalogue seach too:sceptical:

4. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Well I'm glad that it's not just me:) - thanks for looking for me MollyMay.

MollyMay likes this.
  5. Sandiep

Sandiep Well-Known Member

Ancestry's search engine is completely naff............trouble is the site often has info I want but it really uses the little grey cells finding it:nailbiting:

6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I don't seem to have probs finding people, items on Ancestry- it's the other lot who still have me giving up in disgust.
    There are admittedly frightful errors on Anc. rather like any of us when trying to do too much too quickly [tho' not for profit in our cases]. FMP is not innocent here either. However without them both where would we all be? Much further down the tree I'm sure. (on an upper today is I)

Sis, Sandiep and MollyMay like this.
  7. Sandiep

Sandiep Well-Known Member

we should get together Wendy I find FMP easier search and you find Ancestry we should make a good pair:rolleyes:
    I do agree though I would be lost without them never would have found so much otherwise

Ma-dotcom likes this.