Certificates

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Elma, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Helen

Helen Member

So the GRO is cheaper will have to remember that and check the prices

2. Helen

Helen Member

poor Michael:p

Barbara Wilkinson and Mutters like this.
  3. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

In the early days I always used the local office as I found them most helpful if I needed a search doing. That was the time when they cost £6.50. As the full GRO Index is now searchable on-line I invariably use the GRO at £9.25 for the standard service. I can't envisage the need for me to use the priority service at more than twice the cost.

If I needed a search doing I think I would still use the local office even though the charge is greater.

All the best,
    Malcolm webb
    Lincoln UK

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I have never used a local office always use the GRO - it is all to easy to be - ripped off!

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Now in the arms of the Angels

If I need a copy of a Church Marriage/baptism/burial, I go to my local Archives and print out a photostat copy of the original entry from the Parish Registers for just 60p yet if I order one from the local Register Office (where the marriage took place) it costs £10.00 - what a difference!

6. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your comments, it has been interesting to see all the differences. The ancestors we are looking for are mostly London ones and I think there "local" offices are not always so helpful although I know there are some really good ones. The certificates are so expensive when you get the wrong one! I will contact the GRO on Monday.
    I can never work out how you get local reference numbers?
    Elizabeth

7. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Well just to clear up my question. I have just phoned the GRO and yes the certificates still cost £9.25. They will not do any checks on standard service when you have supplied the reference details but if you give the information the name, date event etc then they will also do checks like fathers name. They will also check a year either side, all at the same price £9.25. It will however take longer.
    Now where is the logic in this. Isn't that a lot more work!
    Elizabeth

Daft Bat likes this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thanks for confirming this, Amle. :)

9. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

If ordering and using World Pay for a credit card, be prepared for a long wait. I watched the little wheel spinning on my computer for almost 15 minutes last night waiting for the information to go through. I was debating on cancelling when suddenly up popped the credit card company information for me to verify and then everything went smoothly.;)