Chapman, John c1723

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Hi @Ladybug

Thought it best to continue on the Essex board.

Regarding John Chapman c1723.

I descend from a William Chapman baptised 17 Dec 1674 at East Hanningfield, Essex, the son of John Chapman c1723 who married a Sarah.

William married Lucie Hinton the daughter of a Blacksmith 9 Jan 1782 at Sandon, Essex.

I originally found three children of John and Sarah Chapman all baptised at East Hanningfield, Hannah 1750, Sarah 1763 and William 1764, noting the gap between 1750 and 1763 there are no doubt other children born between those years and possibly before and after. The problem is identifying them, there are quite a few John Chapmans lurking around the place and unfortunately the mother's name is often missing.

As i said in my reply on my profile page I'm glad you brought this Chapman family to my attention because it is sadly lagging behind my others.

I did find what I thought was a suitable marriage for John, a John Chapman married Sarah Lock 2 Feb 1740 at Lexden, Essex but four children of a John and Sarah Chapman were baptised at nearby Colchester St James 1744 to 1755, so I think that rules that John and Sarah out.

Two other children who might belong to the East Hanningfield family.
    Susannah Chapman baptised 24 Feb 1744 at Rettendon and Sarah Chapman baptised 15 Apr 1748 at Great Baddow, both with parents John and Sarah Chapman. Both those places are near East Hanningfield, Gt Baddow 4.5 Miles and Rettendon 5.9 miles.

I found the Gt Baddow baptism on a Gt Baddow PR Fiche I have, I couldn't find it on Ancestry.

So that is the state of play, I'm going to carry out a bit more work on the children baptised at Gt Baddow and Rettendon, also have another try in finding children to fit in the 1750 to 1764 gap.

Regards

2. Findem

Whoever added the @ sign to my post thanks, I've seen that a lot on posts and wondered what it's about, intended to check it out but it slipped by.

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Findem

@Ladybug

I've had a look around my various records and notes etc for the 1890 Elizabeth Chapman but the latest my records go is the marriage of Elizabeth Chapman to John Card 28 Sep 1812 at Sandon Essex.

4. Findem

Hi Ladybug

Looking unsuccessfully for your Elizabeth Chapman 1890 in non related ancestral family names I found the following which interested me.
    John ? married Sarah ? 12 Jul 1750 at East Hanningfield, a note I attached states "the entry did not give surnames". At the time I wrote the note I theorized that perhaps John is the John Chapman who fathered three children baptised at East Hanningfield 1750 to 1764.

Up until yesterday I had yet another theory that the family of John & Sarah Chapman looks like the following.
    Susannah 24 Sep 1744 Rettendon.
    Sarah 15 Apr 1748 Great Baddow.
    Hannah 28 May 1750 East Hanningfield.
    Sarah 10 Oct 1763 East Hanningfield.
    William 16 Dec 1764 East Hanningfield. my ancestor.

Now with that 1750 East Hanningfield marriage in mind I'm wondering if that theory has flown out of the window and the family of john and Sarah Chapman starts with Hannah. If that that is the case I'm wondering If John's mother is named Hannah, I do have a nicely fitting marriage of a John Chapman and Hannah with a son John Chapman baptised in 1726.

I did try to find a burial of a Sarah Chapman, daughter of John buried 1748 to 1763 at Great Baddow and East Hanningfield or anywhere in Essex but nothing doing.

I think I'll try to find a Sarah ? baptised pre 1734 at East Hanningfield who reached 1750 unmarried and not dead, might provide at least a clue.

More twists and turns in these Chapmans than an English country lane. :headbang: :confused: :D

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

FS has Sarah Chapman born/baptised 10/10/1763 of John Chapman and Sarah but died/buried 11/11/1763. Found by going through DustyDocs.

Findem likes this.
  6. Findem

Thanks Sue, I had found that burial but as the burial date is after the baptism date 10 Oct 1763, I put the burial down to that of the Sarah baptised 10 Oct 1763 at East Hanningfield. I didn't include that info in my posts in an attempt to keep the volume down, it's big enough as it is.

7. Findem

Having seen the PR entry image the correct date is 12 July 1752, the bride and groom are named as Sarah and Jno, there are no surnames, exit yet another theory.

8. Findem

@Ladybug

I should have mentioned that the records that I checked in were my own, not Ancestry or any of the other sites I have access to, I have a data base where I jot down any person I come across with the same surname as the person I'm looking for plus any that I think are of interest, I call this my "Spares database".

I did find your Elizabeth Agnes Chapman 1809 Waltham Forrest.