chard surname

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by stevechippy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Okay... bearing in mind the death record that Huncamunca has found, could your Gladys be the one that ws born in 1912, rather than the one born in 1901?

2. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

I thought they had one gladys chard? to be fair it is possible

3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

A tree on Ancestry has Gladys Nellie May's parents as Henry William Chard and Emma E.E. Doyle. They're presumably the Henry William Chard and Emma Elizabeth Ellen Chard who were in Plymouth in 1911 (RG 14/12992, ED 16, schedule no. 363). They had been married less than a year.

I can't see a marriage in the England & Wales GRO index, but Emma was born in Guernsey according to the 1911 census, so perhaps they married there.

On the 1911 census Henry was 26 and born in Burton Bradstock.There is a baptism for a Henry William Chard in Burton Bradstock in 1885; his parents were Alfred & Mary Ann . . . presumably the couple whose marriage we found earlier.

4. Huncamunca

Oops, I didn't look hard enough: FreeBMD has matching entries for Henry W. Chard and 'Emme' E.E. Doyle marrying in the Clutton district in the first quarter of 1911. Looking at the scan of the index page, 'Emme' is really Emma.

5. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

the two people on the far left of this photo are gladys may and e sparks?

Attached Files:

6. Huncamunca

stevechippy, I think the explanation is that your Gladys is the one born 1912 (the daughter of Henry William Chard), not the one born 1901 (the daughter of Thomas). From the 1911 census Thomas was from Devon, so perhaps not the right family?

7. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

and in this photo taken in 1914 gladys is the girl in the middle at the bottom row aged 12-13 no way! you can see my confusion??

Attached Files:

8. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

my family are from devon and dorset thomas is correct born 1842 in broadclist

9. Huncamunca

I see the photo also includes an Uncle Henry and an Emmy, who sound like they might be the couple who were parents of the younger Gladys, born in 1912 (see post #23). This one seems to fit much better with the age of the Gladys in the photograph and the one who married Ernest Sparks.

10. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

i think the grooms brother was called henry robert chard born 1887 in devon and emmy was the best man

11. Huncamunca

Oh, that's spoiled my theory . . . I was thinking that Henry William Chard (who was Florence's brother I think) was there with his wife Emma and daughter Gladys Nellie May.

P.S., ah, I see from the marriage index that both bride and groom were called Chard. No wonder this is getting confusing! Were there Gladyses on both sides of the family?

12. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

yes thats correct both chards, one from dorset originally and one from devon, as far as im aware there is only a gladys on the chards side of the family?

13. Huncamunca

Oops, sorry: I meant a Gladys in Archibald Chard's family and a Gladys in Florence Chard's family . . .

Archibald Chard (son of Thomas & Elizabeth Ann) had a sister Gladys May Chard, who was 2 months old at the time of the 1901 census. But it seems very likely that she is the Gladys M. Chard who died aged 20.

But Gladys Nellie May Chard (who was born 1912, and is the one who married Ernest Sparks) was, it seems, the daughter of Henry William Chard, and so the niece of Florence Chard.

As has already been suggested, you would need to get a certificate or see a copy of the marriage register for the Sparks/Chard marriage to be certain where Gladys Nellie May fits into the family tree.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  14. stevechippy

stevechippy New Member

thankyou very much for your insight huncamunca and your perserverance i will see if i can get a copy of the marriage register! to all those who have helped me this is a brilliant site with a fantastic online community.

Huncamunca and Daft Bat like this.