Charles Joseph Jameson

Discussion in 'Dublin' started by Melvyn Culley, Jun 27, 2020 at 1:53 AM.

1. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

I am seeking information on my Irish side of the family, the male line being Jameson, with some Kane's, Harper's and McKeever's thrown in

Initially I am in search of further information of my Gt Grandfather
    Charles Joseph Jameson married Elizabeth Byrne 12/09/1921
    At the time of marriage he was living at 94 Railway St, North Dock, Dublin, I am a member of ancestry / My heritage and many more search sites but have hit a wall with finding out his correct date of birth, 1911 senses indicates 19yrs old which corresponds to what we believe is his correct DOB in 1892, however the 1901 senses has him at 13 yrs old which throws me off the fact, I cannot find any documents to support this issue
    Thanks

Mel

Attached Files:

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Well, that's interesting!

On his marriage certificate to Elizabeth, Charles' father is recorded as Alexander, a Seaman. Charles is recorded as a Widower.

His previous marriage on 31st January 1915 to Frances Katherine KANE gives his father's name as Denis, also a Seaman. Are Alexander and Denis the same person?

Both certificates give Charles' age as full (which is of no help at all), his occupation as Bookbinder and both say that he was living at 94 Railway Street, so I am sure that this is the same chap.

By the way, Frances (aka Fanny) died 18 months earlier in 1920 at the age of 28, so was born about 1891/2, which is a similar year to that which you believe for Charles.

3. Daft Bat

Aha!

I have just found a marriage between an Alexander JAMESON and Ellen HARPER that took place on 13th February 1870 in Dublin. Both were minors and Alexander's father was.... Denis!

Alexander's occupation is listed as Seaman and he was living at 66 Montgomery Street, Dublin.

I wonder if there was some confusion and Charles gave his grandfather's name instead of his father's on his first marriage. It wouldn't be the first time that I have seen this! :D

4. Daft Bat

Okay - I have found the birth of Denis Alexander JAMESON, who appears to have been Charles' brother, on 8th January 1874 to parents Denis JAMESON and Ellen HARPER. They were living at 66 Montgomery Street, Dublin. I know that this is a few years out from the census ages, but I am not sure of the accuracy of those.

It looks to me that the names Alexander and Denis seem to be interchangeable...

Still looking for Charles' birth/baptism but it looks like his parents were Alexander/Denis JAMESON and Ellen HARPER.

5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, Denis and his Mum had a bit of an experience :nailbiting:
    Weekly Irish Times 6th June 1896
    A somewhat remarkable discovery of arms was made Tuesday evening in Dublin. A man named Denis Jameson, who was engaged making some alterations to a house, 16 Lower Tyrone street, occupied by his mother, Ellen Jameson, came across a stock of a rifle which protruded from a hole in the floor. He at once informed the police of the circumstance, and some constables, who paid a visit to the house, made a close examination of the place. As a result of their search they found five old military rifles and five bayonets, eighty-seven boxes of percussion caps, a bag of bullets, and a bullet mould. The rifles, bayonets, and boxes of caps were wrapped up in issues of the Catholic Fireside, from which the date was torn, and other old pieces of paper. All the weapons bore heavy marks of rust, but it was possible, notwithstanding to make out by the lettering upon them that they had been manufactured in 1865. The caps were in perfectly good condition. The boxes containing them bore the words, “Manufactured by Kynoch and Co., London." All the articles thus found were brought to Smmerhill Police Station.

6. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

There is also a birth of a male, unnamed, b.23 Aug 1877 Rotunda Hospital. Same address of 66 Montgomery Street, Dublin. on the birth register

Melvyn Culley and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Ok Denis Alexander Jameson was also unnamed when registered.
    The births were probably registered by Rotunda Hospital rather than the parents

Attached Files:

Melvyn Culley likes this.
  8. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

Thanks for that, Yes Denis and Alexander are one and the same, which has also caused confusion for those looking, thanks for your help

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

Denis's father was also Denis, we also found 2 Alexander's (Family info) one born in 1838 but no recorded death, and the second in 1848, we believe the 1st to be incorrect as we cannot prove it

Daft Bat likes this.
  10. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

I found this on a family tree of my first contact with the Jameson family, funny what you find hey LOL

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  11. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

I have a William Thomas Jameson, infant death in the tree with that date, but a good find none the less, thanks

Daft Bat likes this.
  12. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

Denis Alexander was known by the name of Sonny, he was listed as "entertainer" on his death certificate, he was the punch and Judy man amongst other things, I have a newspaper cutting image where after his death his eqp was sold, again thatnks for your help

Attached Files:

Daft Bat likes this.
  13. Melvyn Culley

Melvyn Culley New Member

My Grandfather Charles James also confused things as he would put Charles Joseph or Charles James for his father after yesterday I needed a glass or two of red to settle my head, what a great site and friendly folk there is here, I am sure I can throw more problems out of my head into yours LOL

GrannyBarb, AnnB and Daft Bat like this.