Cheshire marriage

Discussion in 'Cheshire' started by Daft Bat, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

John BLEASE was baptised on 18th July 1819 at Thelwall, Cheshire, the son of Thomas and Betty.

If anyone is able to find the marriage of Thomas and Betty, I would be most grateful.

Thank you. :)

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Sorry I have had no luck at all with Thomas to a Betty/Elizabeth.

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

No luck here, searched for Betty/Elizabeth/Bethany.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

It seems strange that there are two johns, baptised 1816 and 1819,the first to john and Betty, the second to Thomas and Betty and yet only the son of john and Betty appears in censuses. Do you know from a marriage that the john you are looking for was definitely the son of Thomas ?
    Doesn't help to find the parents marriage whichever

Daft Bat and Stafford like this.
  5. Daft Bat

All ages for the chap that I am looking for point to have him being born about 1820. Therefore, I thought that I would investigate the 1819 baptism first. :)

Thank you all for looking - this is proving rather elusive!

6. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

Not had time to look (grandchildren invasion approaching!), but would just point out that "Betty" does not necessarily mean christened "Elizabeth" ...

In my (weird) family, "Betty" has often been used for christened "Mary" - and once for christened "Margaret". (My "Elizabeths" have all been "Lizzies")

I told you, we're weird!

Jane

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

It might be worth going through the Runcorn Bishop's transcripts (on FMP) to build up a picture of the Blease families in the area. I see there are couples called John & Betty Blease, and Thomas & Mary Blease, both of Thelwall, having children at around that time too. Was there also a third couple called Thomas & Betty, or has an error crept into the register?

The abbreviations 'Jno' and 'Tho' are quite easy to confuse, so one possible source of error is that the entry was originally recorded in abbreviated form in a rough note book, and then misread when copied into the neat register.

8. Daft Bat

Thanks, Huncamunca. I can see me doing that over the forthcoming weekend!
    I was wondering that as well. It only takes a moment to be distracted. Yesterday, I discovered that a transcription cited the name Mary when it should have been John. :eek: It seems that the transcriber had lost their place and copied the name from the line above!

Ma-dotcom, Huncamunca and Stafford like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've also seen images where shortened names may be misread in particular with a ".."J".."T".." s" "l". FORENAM LETTER . DARN GOOTTA GO AGIAN/

10. Londoner

A John Blease married Sarah Ditchfield in 1845, his father John her father Thomas. In a rush this morning I didn't write down the date ( from Runcorn BTs at Family Search). Neither did I have time to note the census refs for 1851 at Lymm, when the couple had children Thomas 5 and Sarah 2. By 1861 Sarah with two additional children, Martha and Elizabeth are lodging with a Richard Benjnett retired publican. Thomas can be followed in all the censuses through his marriage to a Mary Ann, to 1911 where he also is a widowed, retired publican, and I found Elizabeth in 1871, servant in the house of James Ditchfield ( possibly an uncle?)
    If this tallies with the family you are researching Jan then I will go back and check the census refs. If not it's back to the drawing board.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  11. Londoner

Forgot to say john was recorded as BleaCe in the BTs. The date of the marriage was 11 may 1845.
    Census refs quoted above
    1841 HO 107 piece 93 book 18 ED9 f 12, p 18, line 10
    1851 HO 107 p 2163 f 163 p 14
    1861 RG9 p 2592 f 157 p 4
    1871 RG10 p 3691 f 144 p1

12. Daft Bat

Thanks, Londoner. :)

I have been out all day and so not able to follow this up, but will do so over the weekend.

Many thanks,

13. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I had similar problems in 2012 while researching a 'Tomsett' name in Sussex. The particular marriage came up with 'Tomson' in marriage to my Lady.
    I was advised that it may well have been a clergy error & to check on BTs at Chichester R.O.
    Christmas held me back & I didn't get to do so. Must now sort that out,(when I have a larger keyboard).

Have also seen forenames in error which show up glaringly on Baptism sheets when there are several other Bapt's for same couple in other years, with all other details matching.

Daft Bat likes this.
  14. she04

she04 Active Member

No one has mentioned trying Eliza too. I have an Eliza in my family tree, but she is better known as Betty x

15. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Hi Jan
    Don't know if this is of any use but i found a marriage for a Thomas Blease and Elizabeth Barton,married by licence 7th June 1826. In the parish of Bowden church. One of the witnesses was a Robert Blease

16. Daft Bat

Thanks, Joanne.

I will have a rummage in my papers (which, I must admit, I have not looked at in a while) and see if there is a Robert that fits in.

Thank you!

Joanne likes this.
  17. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Sorry forgot to add Thomas was 22,Elizabeth 24 and i found the record in the Diocese of Chester Bishops Transcripts. Would'nt be the first time young love won and marriage came second?

18. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Jan,

The Marriage Licence for the marriage that Joanne found is on FMP and shows the occupation of Thomas and where he was from. Unless your Thomas was a Surgeon, this is not the correct marriage. Looking at John's baptism, it states that his father Thomas was a Labourer, so the marriage is definitely not your Thomas. There is a burial record for a John BLASE of Thelwall on FMP which would fit in with the John baptised in 1816.

The parish register images are very clear, and the baptism for John in 1819 shows the parents you have quoted. However, it does appear to be the only baptism for Thomas & Betty and all the other baptisms with the mother as Betty show the father to be John. There are a Thomas & Mary BLEASE/BLAISE having children at around the same time in Thelwall, but he is a Joiner not a Labourer. I wonder if the incumbent just muddled up the names of the father - it has been known!

Janet

Daft Bat likes this.
  19. Daft Bat

Yep, I have seen that a few times as well! :rolleyes:

Many thanks. :)

20. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Have you noticed the 1841 census for Lymm (HO107/93/18, folio 12, page 18) where John BLEASE aged 20, an Ag Lab, is living with John & Betty BLEASE also an Ag Lab, and their other children, all of whom correspond to the baptisms of children at Thelwall. John & Betty's son John (according to the parish register images) was born and died in 1816. The only other John baptised at around that time at Thelwall is the one shown to be the son of Thos & Betty in 1819.

Janet

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.