Child travel to USA 1841-1850

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by Ma-dotcom, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This is one family which I thought may have been related to William snr & who took in the child William John. Unable to follow them later other than a child Alick who may have been Alexander Baptised to John & Elizabeth Bridger.
    A John Bridger of West Farleigh wed an Elizabeth Hope in 1818 at Linton.There may well be others.
    No Baptism found for an Melicent (sic) but may have been her 2nd name.
    So many Williams who may have been the Father, I've let him slide.

@GrannyBarb
    Still not found his early arrival, thank you for looking. Nor his arrival in UK just 1901 & 1905 return to Wakefield home in Mass.

1901 arrival W J Bridger in Boston..JPG

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

I found 1865 census on Ancestry Barb, also military records-some. Had so many notes I forgot to put those in, made do with naturalisation records.
    They made me wonder if his Father William was in fact from Deal in kent & young Will'm gave that info in error when asked his place of birth.

perhaps a master shoemaker Sue?

Elsiesgirl and GrannyBarb like this.
  3. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

As expected, Fold3 has records, but they require the premium membership. Probably muster rolls and mundane stuff.

They also had his 1860 Census location as South Reading, MA. I looked it up on HeritageQuest and see him, age 27, cordwainer, b. England with Lucy A., 23, b. Mass; and Willam A., 1, b. Mass.

As to early arrival, in addition to New York and Boston, he might have gone via Canada. I know, not much help, really.

It's been awhile since I've researched this timeframe in Massachusetts, so I'm really having to think (difficult these days) about where all the different records are held. I have a long list in my bookmarks to check - but my favorite Friday nite tv show is a re-run, and I'm recuperating from a Granny Day, so I don't mind looking around some more. ;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Just found his incoming to UK in 1905 aged 70. No info re travel reasons or to whom visiting, taa very much! perhaps to do with the shoe business. Massachusetts early travel didn't know him either.:( not Canadian but ther may be some other tiny spot I haven't found yet.
    I recently didn't bother to read all of the newsletter from Anc. re civil war- thinking it didn't apply to me. I was too mired in Kent at the time. :(

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  5. GrannyBarb

Notice on the Massachusetts State Archives searchable passenger manifests:
    Huh. No wonder I'm having trouble finding lists before 1845. :( Not giving up yet, but the task is more difficult than first appears.

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

dictionary.com
    Cordwainer makes shoes from Cordovan leather.
    From Anglo-French, cordwainer.
    From French, cordoan (leather of Cordova 'the town in Spain whose leather was favoured by the upper classes for shoes'.
    Described as a chef who creates from the best ingredients (cordwainer), against a short order hamburger cook (shoemaker). :D

GrannyBarb and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. GrannyBarb

Long day has finally caught up with me. Heading to the land of Nod. Didn't find anything else, but tomorrow is another day... except in OZ, where it's already tomorrow. :confused:

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Found on nps.gov/civilwar
    32nd Regiment
    Bridger. William J
    Side: Union
    Company: C
    Soldiers Rank: Private
    M544 ROLL 4
    Battle Unit Details: 32nd Regiment.
    Organised as a battalion of 6 companies for garrison duty at Fort Warren, Boston Harbour, Nov 25 1861. Duty at Fort Warren until May 1862. Moved to Washington DC May 26-28. Attached to Military District of Washington to July 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac to Sept 1862. 2nd Brigade 1st Division 5th Army Corps to Oct 1864.
    (there is more)
    Lastly: Regiment lost during service 5 officers,and 139 enlisted killed and mortally wounded. 2 officers and 143 enlisted men with disease. Total 289 men.

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

And tomorrow it will be yesterday.:D

GrannyBarb likes this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Did you notice that the immigration card for William John Bridger age 70 on the Ivernia Dec 14 1905 states that he is a citizen of England? He was granted US citizenship in 1867. Is this perhaps another William John Bridger?

11. GrannyBarb

Well, I've exhausted all my resources. All the passenger lists I can find are either too early or too late. :oops: Time to declare "Uncle," or in this case, gt-gt-Uncle. o_O Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Ma-dotcom likes this.