Childhood deaths in 1858-then 1862-65 in Dover area

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by Ma-dotcom, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Was there ever any epidemic in Dover for 1858 into 1860s?
    I have found family whose children were born early 1850s & had three childrens deaths in 1858 Charlton area followed by two in 1860s.

While searching for one child I found this offering but can not see anything which relates.

Code:
    Illustrated Times: Weekly Newspaper
    ... 1858 , £ 1,596,887 . The total income , in 1857 , was £ 72,794,885 , and the ... infant in her arms , fell into the opening . The inspector of police , Mr ...

The piece I saw was too small to investigate properly & showed nothing which mentioned the above. Maybe nothing to do with the family at all.

The chap I was looking for, George, b.1860 resifing at Ewell, Kent 1871
    Class: RG10; Piece: 1012; Folio: 18; Page: 15; 1871 appeared to have died in 1865 aged 5yrs, but a trail appeared to go on listingh is death 1942 in Lyminge, Kent.

The important query is a reason for so many deaths in 1858 etc.
    Any help truly appreciated, I need my head space to clear away from the days doings.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have found an article here
    Code:
    https://geofframbler.blog/2020/04/15/medway-epidemics/
    which includes the following about the hospital:
    The main causes for admission were apparently cholera, typhoid and smallpox. As it would admit sick / injured dockyard personal it would have made a significant contribution to the local civilian population.

Therefore, being Dover and with the docks so close, it could have been any of those. However, there were also large outbreaks of Cholera in London in the 1860s, which could easily have travelled.

Two of my great grandmother's 3 sisters died of diphtheria in the 1880s in Kent. There happened to be a short outbreak in Smarden at the time. I would be tempted to get a death certificate or 2...

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Jan, I might wait on that for bit as I'd need more than one. The Father is my 1cx3r, so there may be another cousin who knows & can tell me.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Having overnight replenishment of thoughts, I will get maybe two certificates. One for the earlier deaths & one for the last dtr. who died at 18 yrs.
    That was a Big read & very interesting, thanks again Jan. :)

Daft Bat likes this.