Children of Rev. William Howlett from Norfolk to Australia and Canada

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by mugwortismy cat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I cheated :D

There's quite a lot on there for the Howletts, headstones etc.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  2. Louis Brown

Louis Brown New Member

My late mother was a Howlett in this linage. I found that Charles and Horace joined the Victorian Police in the first year of its existence in 1853 (see link below and search for Howlett. Charles lasted 13 days and a month after he quit Horace joined and stayed for nearly 3 years (he was sent to Eureka as a cop to stop the rebellion).
    My mother said her farther Lesley Arthur Howlett (B 1890 Walhala) was a professional gambler and his son who was my dad's best friend in WW 2 was also very good with cards enabling him and my dad ripping off the Yanks at cards.

Code:
    https://www.redhodgestories.com.au/the-irish-in-australia-in-the-19th-century/recollections-of-a-victorian-poice-officer-by-john-sadleir/

3. Louis Brown

Louis Brown New Member

Interesting Howlett history. I got into genealogy because my mum said the Howletts were related to Lady Hamilton. I thought this would be easy to check. It turns out that Lady H's illigitimate child probaly to Featherstonehaugh married a Howlett and I dont think they had kids and its not one of our Howletts.

Also there is a very famous Photographer in Victorian times who was commisioned by Queen Victoria called Robert Howlett but again no direct connection.

When I read Rev Will Howlett sent his boys to Australia I wondered if there were howletts here before them who had said its okay here. There was a Captain who ran sailed passengers between Melb and Adelaide, there was also a Samuel Howlett who was sent to Tassie as an early convict and cutting timber for govt contracts, he appears to have turned into one of the first Vic Bushrangers and was involved in the StKilda Rd hold up as depicted in this picture,

skilda rd bushrangers.jpg

We know that Horace ran a pub. What did Charles do in Walhalla for all those years and why did he leave when Walhalla got connected via coach and rail. They were quite wealthy. I believe mum got the family car which was an early Armstrong Sidley which is a Rolls Royce equivalent which was her fathers when he died. I remember playing in it with its leather and wood interior. Also Lesley Arthur got into a lot of bother fighting Fireman and later a Policeman in Port Melb while at the same time his sister is marrying the wealthy connected Legget family in St Paul's Cathedral in the heart of Melb.

So many questions.

Chimp and mugwortismy cat like this.