Chirk Station Question

Discussion in 'Denbighshire' started by euryalus, May 5, 2014.

1. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

This Edwardian postcard shows the aftermath of a destructive fire that engulfed the down side station building at Chirk. The damaged structure was rebuilt by the GWR in a similar architectural style, the replacement building being of more or less the same appearance as its ill-fated predecessor. The female clothes that can be seen in the picture suggest a date of circa-1910/12, but I have not yet found an exact date. The historic newspapers that are available on-line are all Victorian (apart from the Times) - or are there any on-line resources that I am unaware of? Alternatively, do any Denbighshire local historians happen to know anything about the incident?

99a-Chirk007.JPG

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The fire occurred on Monday 11th December, 1905.

The next time that you are in the Library, use their British Newspaper Archive facility and pop Chirk Station Fire into the keywords. It will then bring up a copy of the report in the Manchester Courier & Lancashire General Advertiser. :)

3. euryalus

Thank you for your very prompt reply; as you will probably have gathered, I normally work from home, which means that the newspapers available on-line stop at 1900. The "British Newspaper Archive" extends the coverage to 1999, but this is only available in libraries.

4. Daft Bat

You are welcome.
    Okay then, brief synopsis:
    The fire was discovered about 3 o'clock and the employee notified the stationmaster, a Mr Littlehales. Two waiting rooms, a lavatory and a fouth building had caught fire, destroying the costumes and stage equipment of a group of entertainers called the Merry Mimics, who had stored the pieces there overnight. The cause of the fire was not known.

It is worth checking the next time that you visit the library as you may also be able to obtain a copy of the newspaper cutting.

5. euryalus

The reference to the destoyed theatrical costumes that had been stored in the building is an unusual detail - perhaps the "entertainers" are among those whoe were photographed on the platform?

6. Daft Bat

I have no idea. You would need to contact a local expert to find that detail.

7. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Flook likes this.
  8. euryalus

Thank you - Welsh Newspapers is a very useful site that I had not hitherto discovered!

Chimp likes this.