Civilian War Dead - Metropolitan Borough of Hackney

Discussion in 'WWII (1939 - 1945)' started by mugwortismy cat, Mar 23, 2014.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Oh wow8(:-), I am so happy I decided to go as far back as the 1911 census

According to this lady's death reg. she was 60 when she died; cwgc.org mentions no family for her. Her name is not very distinctive.

I assumed that since there seemed to be no family that maybe the age was a guess; it didn't help with tracking her down though, and not knowing where she was born ...

I understood that this institution only accepted people of a certain age -- since I thought she was born c1880 I didn't expect to find her there in a census -- but, since I had found her there in electoral registers from 1921 I thought she was probably older than reported

Well, I didn't realise how much older ... she is there in 1911 aged 61, not only that she is with her father -- :)

Yesterday I was worried she was going to have to remain only a name, today, well, there's every chance of putting some flesh on those bones :D:cool:

(no such luck with the other lady though ... can't win them allo_O)

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

it could be ...

I'll have to exhaust all possible Directories at the SoG (it's about time i paid them another visit) before I shell out for one of my own though :eek:

... and much as I love a good directory/dictionary I'd want a real book:(

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

Time to get back on track :)

Here are the first 42 names on the memorial, including 3 unidentified bodies -- this corresponds to Grave 1, first column; all of these deaths occurred in 1940, earliest death was on 7 Sep [this was Alfred Otley LANDER name #8]

Name on Memorial age (as reported on death reg)
    1 Mary A HALLETT 60 [c1880]
    2 Nancy OSBORNE 50 [c1890]
    3 Agnes HOWES 60 [c1880]
    4 Kathleen TISCH 29 [c1911]
    5 Dennis CONNELLY 65 [c1875]
    6 Ada LEPRIDGE 74 [c1866]
    7 Berth M HENRETTE 41 [c1899]
    8 Arthur O LANDER 28 [c1912]
    9 Lily M BRADY 16 [c1924]
    10 Mary A BRADY 40 [c1900]
    11 Sylvia J BRADY 1 [c1939]
    12 May ETHERINGTON 44 [c1896]
    13 John ETHERINGTON 60 [c1880]
    14 Marianne HEGGEMAN 48 [c1892]
    15 Mary BROD 55 [c1885]
    16 Bette STEIN 70 [c1870]
    17 Eliza A JAMES 76 [c1864]
    18 Stephen GUNN 56 [c1884]
    19 Nora GUNN 56 [c1884]
    20 George T DODD 64 [c1876]
    21 UNIDENTIFIED _
    22 Winifred M WARD 8 [c1932]
    23 William TOMKINS 54 [c1886]
    24 UNIDENTIFIED _
    25 UNIDENTIFIED _
    26 David J LATHROPE 17 [c1923]
    27 Frank MASTERS 44 [c1896]
    28 John E LOVEWELL 51 [c1889]
    29 Louisa J DUPUY 51 [c1889]
    30 Kenneth SNOWIE 37 [c1903]
    31 Frederick POOLE 36 [c1904]
    32 Ivy POOLE 33 [c1907]
    33 William HAYDEN 44 [c1896]
    34 Florence A HAYDEN 42 [c1898]
    35 Henry W BICKELL 62 [c1878]
    36 Peter AFFORD 19 [c1921]
    37 Alfred MEARS 33 [c1907]
    38 May F OATHAM 31 [c1909]
    39 Frederick A TOLMAN 20 [c1920]
    40 Alice A TOLMAN 58 [c1882]
    41 Winnie SHEEN 16 [c1924]
    42 Emily THURLOW 51 [c1889]

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

:) Story #2

St Scholastica of Clapton

I thought I'd better introduce you to Saint Scholastica

St._Scholastica_image.jpg
    This is my favourite picture of her and shows very clearly how one can recognise her (1) she's a nun (2) she carries a crozier -- sometimes this is replaced by a cross, and some clever artists manage to incorporate the cross into the loop of the crozier, but I think that's overdoing it a bit (3) she holds a book -- this to show her love of learning -- only of spiritual nun-like things obviously (4) she is accompanied by a dove -- this represents her soul ascending into heaven as witnessed by her twin brother Saint Benedict [he is much more famous than her] -- properly, it is supposed to be issuing from her mouth, but that is very hard to draw and I have not found an image that even attempts it

Oh, I lied she's not really from Clapton, but she is involved in the history of Clapton and is important to the lives of two women on the Memorial to the Civilian War Dead of Hackney.

I'm getting ready to begin telling you that story next, give me a few more days ...

MollyMay, AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  6. mugwortismy cat

Story #3

St Scholastica and the Harrisons

So, I will tell you the story of three siblings and a spouse, and eventually you will see the relevance of St Scholastica to Hackney; and then, because I don't want to bore you, I will tell you in a later story the relevance of St Scholastica to the War Memorial. I'm not going to clutter my story with references to documents, I believe all relevant ones should be found in this thread.

I am starting the story with the marriage of Robert; which is not the way I discovered it, but I think it will make more sense this way. I can't point you to a Parish Register with signatures and witnesses (though I expect Robert's brother and sister, Elizabeth and William, were there), Robert Harrison was Catholic and I haven't yet located exactly where the marriage took place or where said Registers might be. It is possible, of course, that I can purchase the marriage certificate at some stage (and I probably will) because Civil Registration has started and it is 30th June 1838 -- we have the date from a newspaper notice.

I can tell you that the marriage took place in the Marylebone Registration District of Middlesex, not far from Robert's home in Avenue Road, near Regent's Park -- and you might guess from this that Robert was fairly wealthy and doing very nicely, and I think you are right. But he obviously thought it was time for some changes, and the first of these was a Wife.

His bride bore the name Charlotte Scholastica Haly -- so already we see the beginnings of why St Scholastica is in our story. We know from the newspaper notice that Charlotte's father was called James and he was from (or living in) Cork, Ireland; sadly, the notice tells us nothing of Robert's father, and I assume from this that his father is already dead (though that shouldn't stop him being named).

At the time of the 1841 census Robert and Charlotte are living in Avenue Road, with three servants; we find out that Robert is a Merchant aged 45, born in Middlesex, and that Charlotte is aged 30, and born in Ireland. Ten years on, we can find out more -- in 1851 Robert and Charlotte have moved to Sussex Place (still near Regent's Park), and they now have six servants (butler, cook, three housemaids and a footman), which suggests perhaps that Robert is doing ever better at being a "Merchant - Canada Trades"; ages are more precise -- Robert is 55 and Charlotte is 43; although Charlotte's place of birth is still given only as Ireland, we now know that Robert was born in Hackney.

Robert dies the following year on the 7th September, while in Switzerland; I presume this was a holiday and Charlotte was with him, perhaps she was a comfort to him -- the newspaper notice of his death says that it took him six days to die of 'severe bilious inflammation' which I am sure was horribly painful. While suffering and presumably aware of his coming death, he took the time to add a Codicil to his existing Will -- and here we see a little of Robert the person, conscientious business man, caring employer, loving husband, grieving father ...

The bulk of his Estate was left to Charlotte, with sizable legacies for his brother and sister. Charlotte survived him by nearly six years, dying on 12 May 1858. I don't have a copy of her will (yet) but her Probate sets her Estate a value of under £30,000; Robert's sister Elizabeth was the Executrix of Charlotte's will, and although I don't have the precise details, I do know that Charlotte left her a large sum (Elizabeth's own probate values her estate as under £40,000).

Elizabeth died in 1869, she spent the next years of her life setting up (at least) two charities -- which got involved in undignified squabbling over £600 after she died; I can't help but feel that she would not have approved.

Using the legacies from Robert and Charlotte she founded Almshouses in Clapton, Hackney [originally on London Road, this was then renamed as Kenninghall Road]. These almshouses were called St Scholastica's Retreat, designed to serve Catholic men and women, including married couples, over the age of 60, from the upper and upper-middle classes who had fallen on hard times, though a certain amount of income was expected (at least in the early days -- by 1911 [and maybe earlier] it seems that the charity had enough money to offer stipends to some of the residents).

St Scholastica's, so-named I believe from Charlotte's middle name [perhaps the name she chose at her confirmation, and if so, obviously very meaningful to her], was obviously very dear to Elizabeth, she left the bulk of her Estate to it; her obituary in the Tablet, written by the Rev John Peter Kaye, who was one of her executors, and with whom her brother William lived for the last years of his life, states that she wanted to do something of which her brother would have approved ...

... St Scholastica's still exists, though no longer in Clapton, and so despite Robert and Charlotte's sadly childless marriage, and Elizabeth and William never marrying, there are still some people who remember the Harrisons [even if it is only me].

Eve, Ma-dotcom, Huncamunca and 3 others like this.
  7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Brilliantly told Muggy :)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Great reading Muggy - who would have thought at the beginning of your search, such a tale would unfold?

Ann :)

9. mugwortismy cat

Now that I am over the stress of condensing my research so far into a readable post I must take a moment to say that this wasn't a one woman effort, if you followed the link to my Camelford House thread you will have seen that I had quite a bit of help

So let me thank AnnB for her newspaper clippings, MollyMay for her census detecting, Huncamunca for her amazing ability to read illegible writing; and anyone else I've forgotten, apologies, but thank you very much; and thank you for encouraging me by reading :)

10. mugwortismy cat

Story #4

St Scholastica in the War--part 1 1939

One day I may get to see detailed plans of the layout of the sheltered accomodation at St Scholastica's but I have gathered a certain amount of information by looking at the census and electoral rolls. It may help to have a brief description of the complex -- there was a Lodge House of four rooms, and there were ten other houses - house #7 was the Warden's House with seven rooms, the remaining houses were divided into four self-contained flats [for single occupants, married couples, or two sisters sharing -- a daughter may also live with an elderly parent, and it seems some residents had servants and/or nurses (though these may have slept elsewhere)]

In the 1939 electoral roll there are 39 people listed as living in the retreat
    • In the Lodge House are Joseph Patrick and Theresa REGAN - the Regans had been the lodge keepers at St Scholastica's since at least 1911, at which time they had been married 9 years and had three children, one of whom had died; their living children are aged 7 and 3 and both born in Hackney, so I think the Regans had been at the Retreat since their marriage [Apr-Jun 1901 in Whitechapel; Joseph (Jun 1878 Whitechapel-Mar 1953 Hackney), and Theresa Goodwin (Dec 1874 Spitalfields- Mar 1956 Hackney)], they spent the last years of their lives as residents of the Retreat.
    • House 1; each in their self contained flats, Amy E READMAN, Charles de RHEIMS, Mary Alice GARRETT, Agnes Mary DODD
    • House 2; Mary SHATFORD, Lopez Ignacio GUIBARA, Rose Mary BALCOMBE, Catherine WADHAM
    • House 3; Minnie Gertrude HUSTLER, Annie Caroline SHAW, Theresa Mary BOOKER, Hannah Mary MURPHY
    • House 4; Mary Gertrude OGER, Anne Margaret WHITE, Margaret McCarthy JOHNSON & Henrietta McCARTHY (I am guessing they are sisters), Charlotte Josephine DAVENPORT
    • House 5; Ada Ann Mary GOULDING, Honoria May BENNETT, Henrietta Angela LAW, Emma MURRAY
    • House 6; Margaret Mary GIBNEY, Louisa FINIGAN, Florence Martha McCARTHY [Flat 6b was uninhabited]
    • House 7; In the Warden's House are Harold Ernest and Maud Evelyn CHEESMAN -this was their first year at the Retreat. Harold Ernest Cheesman (Dec 1884 Malling-Dec 1950 Hackney) married Maud Evelyn Polak (c1885-Jun 1942 Surrey NE) in Brentford in Sep 1914.
    • House 8; Mary Eleanor STRONG, Ethel Barbara Lee MURRAY, John George ROBSON [Flat 8d was uninhabited]
    • House 9; Rosa CADWALLADER, Mary Helen UNWIN, Agnes Helen HETREED, Gertrude HANIFIN
    • House 10; Ellen Elizabeth PERKES, Mary Ann HALLETT, Agnes Ann HOWES, Jane Louisa CAZALY
    The names underlined are the people who are at St Scholastica's in the next available electoral roll of 1945; the names in bold are part of the next installment ...

11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

All shows just how busy you were behind the scenes , & what a good job you've made of it all.

MollyMay and mugwortismy cat like this.
  12. mugwortismy cat

Story #4 cont.

St Scholastica in the War--part 2a 1940 Mary Ann HALLETT

Maybe a map will help, I'm putting a link to Google maps centred on Kenninghall Road [https://www. google.co.uk/maps/@51.5583398,-0.0602129,17z]. St Scholastica's Retreat was somewhere in that block where St Scholastica's Primary School and Church now stand. The area was a little different in 1940, and you can get some idea of this if you compare with the 1940s Bomb Maps available at Bomb Sight [http://bombsight.org/#16/51.5584/-0.0566] (click on the icon that looks like a pile of papers to move between the 1940s map and a modern map)

The four names that I have put in bold in post #30 died on the 8th September 1940, which I believe was the second night of the Blitz; unfortunately the data available on Bomb Sight doesn't cover this date so I can't show you exactly where the bombs fell. Needless to say bombs fell on Kenninghall Street and on St Scholastica's [Hackney Archives has some photographs which may show the bomb damage to the Retreat and I need to get myself organized to go and have a look at these].

Of these four women only two appear on the War Memorial; Name #1 Mary A Hallett and name #3 Agnes Howes who lived in House 10; the other two women who died lived in House 9. How the other women living in Houses 9 & 10 escaped being killed I cannot answer -- however Rosa Cadwallader and Mary Helen Unwin were still iving there in 1945 (although not in House 9); Ellen Elizabeth Perkes died in Mar 1941 in Hackney (she is not commemorated as one of the War Dead, she was 84); Jane Louisa Cazaly died in Battersea in Dec 1941 (again not a War related death, she was 83). I have been through the indexes for the first 100 (of 175) Civilian Casualty lists checking all the names from the 1939 electoral roll and no other casualties needing hospital treatment were found [maybe I should check the next index for lists 101-124 but I ran out of strength -- I'm sure I will at some stage]; possibly any minor injuries were dealt with on site.

Mary Ann HALLETT is found on List #55, she is Casualty #368 on this list which was compiled on the 20th November:-

55/368 HALLETT, Mary Anne (70), 10 The Retreat, Kennington [corrected by hand to Kenninghall] Road, E5 (added by hand). Dead. Church Hall Mort. E8 .. .. 169/14 [this number is the D-4 case no.]

--- I confess I have yet to work out the relevance of the D-4 case number, and whether it can be followed up on, and if so whether it would tell me anything more of interest; I have also been meaning to find out where the Church Hall Mortuary was (though I am assuming it was a temporary wartime only mortuary).

Her death registration Sep 1940 Hackney 1b 468 gives her name as Mary A Hallett and her age as 60

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has the following information:
    Hallett, Mary Ann Civilian died 08/09/1940, age 60, of St. Scholastica's Retreat, Kenninghall Road. Died at St. Scholastica's Retreat.

I can tell you that her name was always spelt as Mary Ann on the electoral registers while she was at St Scholastica's; I can place her here from 1932 onwards so I think that the age on the Civilian Casualty list is closer to the truth. Regretfully, at this time I can tell you nothing further about her.

13. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've just found an amazing photo of the hall of St Scholastica's - you may have already seen it, but, if not it is at
    virtualtenby.co.uk/Photo.asp?of=Pugin in Clapton : St Scholastica's Retreat, London NE c 1905. Demolished.&Photograph=3441948223&foto=Kenninghall

There is also a link to an exterior photo and the Booth Poverty map.

Ann

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  14. mugwortismy cat

Yes I have seen it, isn't it lovely? I did want to point it out to everyone but at the same time wanted to avoid overloading my posts. So thank you for posting the link:)

If I finish the War Memorial then there is every chance I will do something more in depth on St Scholastica's, then I can have loads of posts about lovely architecture and interior design ...:D

AnnB likes this.
  15. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Using the exact spelling of Mary Ann Hallett and asuming her birth was c1870 there is only 1 possible in London that I can see on the 1911 cenus RG14 PN1784 SN400

William Hallett b1869 Shepherd's Bush Lane
    Mary Ann b1871 Hackney
    William Francis b1894 Southwark
    married 23 years 12 children 2 living 10 died (sad)
    (there is a birth ref for William Francis Hallett June qtr 1893 St Saviour 1d 54)

This same family can be found 1901 RG13/367/150/54
    with the additon of son Rob Jos S b1889
    and cousin wid Ellen Nixon b1845 Ireland
    (there is a birth reg of Robert John H Hallett June qtr 1889 Lambeth 1d 462)

and in 1891 RG12/404/96/15 as Hallet, with a daughter Florence B
    (birth Florence Beatrice Hallett Sept qtr 1891 Lambeth 1d 452)

There is a marriage of William Hallett and a Mary Ann Connell appears on the same page - March qtr 1885 Poplar 1c 897.

Anc London Baps or marriages has none of these events - could it be because they were Catholic?

I have had trouble find Mary Ann Connell with a birth place of Brixton which she is consistant with - nor can I see a birth reg in that area which could be her. There is a Mary Ann Connell with her family (father born Ireland), but she was born Woolwich in the right time frame.

16. mugwortismy cat

Thanks MollyMay:)

Given the uncertainty re: age and place of birth, I am planning to come back to Mary Ann after I have worked through the rest of the names -- either at the end of 1940 (the first 42 names that I posted in an earlier message) and/or at the very end of the 101 names. I am planning to contact the current warden of St Scholastica's and the current priest at the Church in Clapton, and probably the Diocese of Westminster Archives to see if it is possible to find out anything more. I am wary of getting too involved with name #1 when there are 100 others -- and unfortunately, knowing me, other names that I will investigate even though they aren't on the memorial -- as the next installments of the story will show o_O

However, what you have posted does look promising :cool:, maybe I am going to change my plans after all ...:confused: I am thinking about how to proceed, it may take a while ...

MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  17. mugwortismy cat

Story #4 cont.

St Scholastica in the War--part 2b 1940 Agnes Ann HOWES

Agnes (Ann) HOWES is the third name on the War Memorial, but as she died at the same time and place as Mary Ann Hallett (name #1) we will skip name #2 for now.

Her death was registered at the same time as Mary Ann's: Sep 1940 Hackney 1b 468, and gives her name as Agnes Howes and her age as 60

Her entry on cwgc.org gives the same information, adding the date of death (08/09/1940) and gives her address as St Scholastica's.

She appears on Casualty List #60, the 404th casualty named on this list which was compiled on 27th November.
    60/404 Howes, Miss A ( ), The Retreat, Kenninghall Road, E. Dead. Mare St. Mort., E8. .. .. 180/162
    This at least added the information that she was unmarried.

At first that was all I had to go on, and wasn't getting anywhere. Then I found the 1938 electoral register, with the addition of Ann as a middle name; for a while I got quite excited hunting down entirely the wrong Agnes Ann Howes born c1880 o_O

So I kept looking for electoral registers and found her in 1921 at St Scholastica's which shifted her likely birth date back at least another 20 years. Eventually I traced all the registers between 1918 and 1939, and she was on all of them (so I was certain I hadn't managed to find two different women with the same name who happened to live in the same place at two different time periods). In an attempt to narrow down exactly when she may have started living there I searched out the 1911 census -- not expecting to find her, but I did! Not only did I suddenly have precise information about age and place of birth, but I found that she was living with her father. Heady moment indeed :). In fact, Agnes had been living at St Scholastica's since at least 1901, at which point she was with both her parents.

It turns out that Agnes was born in 1850 and was 90 when she died.

Let's go back to the beginning (we will start with her parent's marriage) [many of the relevant references and the names of the lovely people to whom I owe thanks can be seen in this thread]:-

Henry HOWES married Ann Agnes LONE in the Catholic Chapel at Great Yarmouth, Norfolk in a double wedding in which John LONE married Eliza HOWES; Huncamunca found a newspaper notice dated 4 Sep 1848 which says the wedding happened "Saturday last", since the 4th was a Monday I have taken this to mean the wedding was on the 2nd. In any case the registration details are as follows Sep 1848 Yarmouth 13 572 (although Ann is indexed as LOWE)

Agnes was their first of four daugters (all confusingly known at some points by names other than those they were registered with, I am guessing that these 'alternative names' were those chosen at confirmation, maybe nicknames).

Agnes Teresa Jun 1850 Great Yarmouth -- always either Agnes, Agnes A or Agnes Ann in every other record
    Ellen Ann Dec 1851 Great Yarmouth -- Monica in 1871
    Teresa Elizabeth Jun 1853 Gorleston -- Josephine in 1871
    Emma Mary Jun 1857 Gorleston -- usually as Mary (E), in 1881 as Musa

In 1851 Henry (Christopher) Howes [b c1823 Gorleston] was in prison in Norwich for debt, his occupation in the census is Painter, the London Gazette describes him as Ship Chandler, General Shopkeeper, Plumber, Glazier and Painter. His wife Ann and daughter Agnes are in Great Yarmouth, Ann is a Schoolmistress and Painter's Wife [b c1824 Yarmouth, although later census returns generally have a yob of 1819].

Henry must have sorted himself out, between 1861 and 1881 he is living in Gorleston High Street and described either as a Painter or Plumber & Glazier. It seems Ann was no longer working, although the girls were Music/Piano Teachers. By 1891 Henry had retired and he and Ann were living with their married daughter Teresa in Leyton, Essex. By 1901 he was at St Scholastica's.

I find myself wondering whether living in the sheltered environment of The Retreat was for Agnes's benefit rather than her parents'. You see, as we discovered on the other thread (thanks again Huncamunca ;)), Agnes had a troubled past. I do not know if her troubles have anything to do with her and Ann's absence from the family home in 1871 when they were in Leicester; however, Agnes's absence from her family in 1891 is significant.

While the rest of her family were living in Leyton, Agnes was in a different part of Essex, in Earl's Colne, a resident in Miss Anna E Pudney's establishment called Buxton House. Miss Pudney was probably a Quaker, she certainly had progressive and humane views, and had sent up an Establishment run for and by women for the treatment of alcohol problems. Here is her advert run in The Guardian on 20 July 1887:

INTEMPERANCE - TWO VACANCIES occur in Private Home for the reception of six Ladies only. - Miss Pudney, Buxton House, Earls Colne.

Huncamunca, MollyMay and AnnB like this.
  18. mugwortismy cat

Story #4 cont.

St Scholastica in the War--part 2c 1940 Agnes Helen HETREED

Agnes was born in Sheerness, Kent [her birth registration: Agnes Ellen Hetreed Mar 1867 Sheppey 2a 776]; she was the fourth child of William Charles and Honoria Hetreed. She is enumerated as Agnes Ellen in the 1871 census [RG 10/986/49/15]

William Charles Hetreed married Honoria [she is indexed as O'Cormer but I have reason to believe it should be O'Connor] Mar 1861 in the Sheppey district. They had nine children in total. William was a music teacher and I have found reference [The Tablet 2 Apr 1864] to him playing for the local Catholic congregation in Sheerness.

Their ninth child, Francis Michael, was born in the last quarter of 1876, and sometime between then and the 1881 census the family moved to Killarney in Co. Kerry, Ireland [at least I haven't found them in 1881 in England]. William died in Killarney in 1890, his Probate on 12 August, names Honoria and his eldest son William Patrick as his beneficiaries.

Agnes in the 1901 census; Killarney, Co. Kerry
    New street (lower)
    Norah HETREED Head 58 widow Kerry
    Agnes HETREED Daughter 29 organist England
    Adeline HETREED Daughter 24 - England
    Kathleen BRUNT Grand daughter 7 attends a school England
    Vincent John BRUNT Grand son 4 Kerry
    Hannah LEAHY Servant 20 general servant Kerry

Agnes in the 1911 census; Killarney, Co. Kerry [there are inconsistencies but I am pretty sure this is her]
    High Street; lodging with the Collins family
    Alice HETREED 38 organist single Co. Kerry

I'll take a slight detour now to try and tell you what happened to Agnes's family; I've not found her mother's death, nor could I find her in 1911.
    Siblings:
    • Catherine Adelaide [Kate](1862-1927 Enfield) was a schoolmistress in England, married William Thomas BRUNT; 4 children
    • William Patrick Charles (1864-1928 Worthing) joined the Royal Irish Constabulary age 24 in 1888; he married twice (1) Ellen Margaret Costello - 1 child (2) Eveleen [maiden name unknown] - 2 children
    • John Hugh (17 Nov 1865-1931 Chicago) emigrated 1887, naturalised 1893, I can find him on US census from 1900; he married Lilian [Lily] Wheeler - 3 children [his death registration gives his mother's name as O'Connor]
    • Maria Honoria (1868- ?)married Daniel Donoghue in 1891 in Killarney, I found them in 1901 -- at this time they had twins Mary & Michael -- but I couldn't find them after this
    • Cecilia Martha (1870-1888 Killarney):(
    • Adeline Julia (1873-1903 Edmonton)
    • Vincent James (1874-1952 Worthing) also joined the Royal Irish constabulary aged 23 in 1898; married Violet Clare McKeon -- I believe that the Dr. Vincent Hetreed of the Colonial Medical Service I have found reference to is their son.
    • Francis Michael (1876-?) he may be the Francis Hetreed who died in 1955 Dublin South although the age is out; I've found nothing more on him.
    So, although several of Agnes's siblings have died, and a couple are untraced, her brother Vincent was definitely around to claim her, as well as various nieces and nephews -- this may be why she didn't end up in one of those mass graves.

After the 1911 census the first reference I have found to Agnes is a 1935 Electoral Register for Reigate, Surrey; at this time she was living in Lovell House, Lowfield Heath. From 1936 she is at St Scholastica's -- at first living in flat 2b, however for some reason in 1939 she moved to flat 9c -- if only she hadn't she could have died of old age.

Agnes's death was registered with the same reference as Mary A Hallett and Agnes Howes; her name is given as Agnes H Hetreed, and her age as 73.

CWGC.org has the following:
    Hetreed, Agnes Helen, Civilian, died 08/09/1940 age 74; of St. Scholastica's Retreat, Kenninghall Road. Daughter of Honoria and William Charles Hetreed, of Killarney, Co. Kerry, Irish Republic. Died at St. Scholastica's Retreat.

Agnes is found on Casualty list #71, the 144th casualty on this list:
    71/144 Hetreed, Agnes (60) 10, The Retreat, Kenninghall Rd., E5. Dead. Mare St. Mort., E.8. .. .. [no D-4 case number is given]

The lack of the D-4 case number was puzzling me until I decided to look through one list in detail trying to pull out all the Hackney casualties. I happened at the time I decided to do this to be looking at list #41 on which Gertrude Hanifin is listed, I recognised another name from the Memorial, and several references to Church Hall Mortuary, so it seemed a good list to look at in detail -- although rather depressing it is at least 90% deaths, and of the Hackney data I pulled out only one casualty was injured rather than killed [I'll post this data a little later]

Well, it was a good list in other ways, I found Agnes again, mispelt:
    41/395 [corrected by hand to 385] Metreed, Agnes ( ). _, Kenninghall Rd. E. Dead. Church Hall Mort., Hackney .. .. 180/163
    [this whole entry cancelled by hand with note Identical See Case 71/144]

So there is a D-4 case number, and if I ever find out what it means and how to access it, I'll have Agnes's -- and maybe it will explain how she ended up in two different mortuaries [I did have a look on The National Archives website today to try and find out what a D-4 Case Number was but didn't get anywhere]

P.S. this is all my own work:rolleyes:, so there is only me to blame if anything is missed, if I have overlooked something obvious don't hesitate to let me know ...

MollyMay and AnnB like this.
  19. mugwortismy cat

Story #4 cont.

St Scholastica in the War--part 2d 1940 Gertrude HANIFIN

[there is a thread (with references) dealing with the trials and tribulations of tracing the Hanifin family -- once again I owe thanks to several - see here]

Gertrude Theresa M HANIFIN was born 1870 in the Hoxton district of Shoreditch [Sep 1870 Shoreditch 1c 110], she was the second of the 7 children of Maurice HANIFIN and Jane Maria COTTON who married Mar 1867 in St Pancras.

Her father Maurice worked for the Telegraph department, rising to the rank of Asst Supt [Assistant Superintendant, I assume]; he was born c 1844 in Holborn [I cannot find his birth registration, although I can find those of his siblings]; he was the son of Maurice and Catherine Hanifin, both from Ireland; the family can be seen in the following census returns [1851 HO 107/1514/390/12; and 1861 RG 9/165/64/65]. I have not attempted to trace the siblings of Maurice after this, nor his parents -- although I did look for and was unable to find a death for his father [either as Maurice or Morris] and it is possible that he may have returned to Ireland.

In 1871 [RG 10/451/6/7] the 7-month-old Gertrude was living at 14 Singleton Street in Hoxton, with her parents, older sister, and a lodger. By 1881 the remaining five of her siblings have been born -- they are still in Hoxton but now in Haberdasher Street [RG 11/392/57/5].

In 1891 they had moved again, out of Hoxton [which was in the civil parish of Hackney St Leonards], they are now in 112 Bowns Crescent [in the civil parish of Hackney St John]. I think it is worth giving a transcript of this census as all the family are together, and also it is the last time we can find Gertrude on a census:
    RG 12/186/85/1:
    Maurice HANIFIN Head M 48 Senior Telegraphist GPO London, Holborn
    Jane M HANIFIN Wife M 50 Staffordshire, Wolverhampton
    Winifred M M HANIFIN Daur S 23 London, Shoreditch
    Gertrude T M HANIFIN Daur S 21 Invoice Clerk London, Shoreditch
    Catherine T E HANIFIN Daur S 20 School Mistress London, Shoreditch
    Louisa M M HANIFIN Daur S 18 Dress Maker London, Shoreditch
    Jane E M HANIFIN Daur S 17 Photographic Artist London, Shoreditch
    Raymond M J HANIFIN Son 13 Scholar London, Shoreditch
    Ernest D A HANIFIN Son 11 Scholar London, Shoreditch
    Jeremiah CALLINAN Boarder S 24 2nd class Telegraphist GPO Ireland
    Thomas PENDER Boarder S 22 2nd class Telegraphist GPO Ireland

In the 1901 census the family are living in 112 Farleigh road, Stoke Newington; and members of the family can be traced at this address until 1933. There are only four of Maurice and Jane's children with them in 1901 -- as already stated Gertrude cannot be found; her youngest brother Ernest is probably at a seminary [he can be found in 1911 as a Catholic priest] perhaps in Ireland, though again not found; her elder sister Winifred married in Apr-Jun 1898 Hackney to Patrick Martin MAIRS (usually known as Eric), and they can be found at 16 Princess Mary Road, Stoke Newington, with 2-year-old son Basil.

In 1911 three children are with Maurice and Jane, Louisa (a dressmaker), Raymond (a butcher), and the recently widowed Jane -- Jane had married Robert Aspland HATT in 1903, and he had died in 1907, they had one daughter Dorothy. Maurice and Jane report that one of their seven children had died -- this was Catherine who had married Arthur Henry MOORE in 1906, she is possibly the Catherine Moore who died in Pancras in 1907. As we know, Gertrude is nowhere to be found, and Ernest is now a priest; Winifred, Eric and Basil are at 12 London Road, Clapton.

Winifred died later in 1911, her widowed husband then married her sister Louisa in 1913; Jane Hanifin died in 1915, Maurice in 1924, Raymond died in 1932, Jane Aspland-Hatt in 1936.

Gertrude reappears and can be traced between 1929 and 1933 at 112 Farleigh Road, at which time she was living with her sister Jane and brother Raymond [until his death in 1932]. Jane Aspland-Hatt died in Worthing and it is possible that she and Gertrude had retired there [which is why I haven't found them on electoral rolls in London]. Following Jane's death Gertrude moved into St Scholastica's and betwen 1937 and 1939 she can be found living in flat 9d.

Gertrude's death is not registered with the other women from St Scholastica's, her death registration is Sep 1940 Hackney 1b 470, her name is given as Gertrude HANILIN, her age as 70

CWCG.org spells her name correctly, and adds the following - died 08/09/1940, of St. Scholastica's Retreat, Kenninghall Road, Clapton. Daughter of the late Maurice and Jane Hanifin, of Farleigh Road, Stoke Newington. Died at St. Scholastica's Retreat.

Gertrude is on Casualty list #41, which was compiled on 22nd October 1940, she is casualty #339 on this list:
    41/339 Hanifin, Gertrude ( )., 9 The Retreat, Kenninghall Road, E. Dead. Church Hall Mort., Hackney. .. .. 180/153 [and] 207/5 (no idea why she has two D-4 case numbers)

Gertrude was survived by her sister Louisa and brother Ernest who both died in 1949, and nephew Basil Mairs who handled Ernest's probate (sadly not her niece Dorothy Gertrude Hatt who had died age 22 in 1928).

MollyMay and AnnB like this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I have read of so many places of all descriptions including schools 'halls' from many buildings so would readily believe that their church hall was so made use of also. Having seen photo of said church hall from link AnnB gave (#33) if it was St.Scholastica's -what a lovely place to lie in waiting.