Clarification please

Discussion in 'U.K. Forces General' started by Chimp, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

D J T (Denis James Thomas) Watts 885121 attested in 1938, in the Royal Artillery

He later joined the Royal Air Force, where, he became a Sergeant. (usually there is a report in the London Gazette when someone gets promoted but I can't find anything.)

On his draft papers it says:-

PARA. 204 ( 15 ) <- what does this mean
    T. A. REGS 18-7-1939 <- what does T. A. REGS mean
    (enlisted into R.A.F.)

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Territorial Army regulations?
    Paragraph 204 regulation 15?
    Just kind of memory guessing here Chimp.
    My mind is on the chook I must now go & prep for dinner.

Chimp likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

You should be able to look that up Chimp, I started to but had to go assist my Mannie. Now must away. good luck.

Chimp likes this.
  4. Chimp

Thanks Wendy. I have done a little digging and PARA 204 means he was discharged on that date (18-7-1939) according to clause 15 of Paragraph 204 Territorial Army Regulations.

"A man of the Territorial Army may enter the Royal Navy or enlist into the Regular Army, the Militia ( Supplementary Reserve, Categories A and B only), the Royal Marines or the Royal Air Force, and, on final approval, is deemed to be discharged from the Territorial Army, but must return in good order the articles of clothing, &c., issued to him belonging to the Territorial Army. He is not, however, allowed to join the Royal Naval Reserve or the Army Reserve ( other than the Supplementary Reserve, Categories A or B.)"

But what was clause 15

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Wikipedia has a lengthy article on the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907, Terry, but my sifting brain cell is dormant at the moment and I wouldn't like to try to interpret it. Also, if you google "clause 15 of Paragraph 204 Territorial Army Regulations" you'll get quite a number of results which might clarify things for you. Same restriction on my ability to help applies, though. Sorry.

Good luck whichever way - hopefully someone with better cell function might be able to take a look for you?

:confused:

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Chimp like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

@Chimp , I think you may have answered your own question re-"But what was clause 15". There is somewhere a list of these clauses etc. but I just can't remember where to find it.

Chimp likes this.
  7. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Para 204/6a TAR 23.5.1942 means he was discharged on that date according to clause 6a of Paragraph 204 Territorial Army Regulations (Service being no longer required on re-enlistment into the Supplementary Reserve).

I've searched & searched, Chimp. The above (from a pre Top Dog forum) is the nearest I can find. Clause 6a - not 15.
    Somewhere, there's a book that details all the Clauses & Paras for the TA Regs - but I can't find it. :(
    And the Regs were updated - this is 1942, but I doubt there was much different

Jane

Chimp likes this.
  8. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

"So I looked in T.A. Regs for 1936 and Discharge comes under Para 204 and it does have a sub-para 14 - "For the purpose of being appointed to a Commission".

And here's Clause 14.
    (This is someone on the Great War Forum - he appears to have a copy of the Regs - maybe you could contact him for a look-up?)

Jane

Chimp likes this.
  9. Chimp

Thank you Jane :)