Co Durham - but which Parish?

Discussion in 'Durham' started by kernowmaid, Feb 24, 2018.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Thanks to GrannyBarb for teaching me how to use Family Search :), I can now access the Bishop's Transcripts for Co Durham. :)

My Gt Gt Granma (Ann HILLS/HILL) declared her birth as SOUTH HYLTON (c1830) - but she's not in that lot (I found her younger sister though, born 1835).

Please can someone with knowledge of the area suggest which of the MANY Parishes I try next? They lived in Ford - so which ones surround there?

Thanks in advance
    Jane

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Have you tried looking at Durham Records Online
    Code:
    https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php
    Searching is free, and transcripts are available for reasonably-priced credits.

With a free search I saw an Ann Hill/Hills in Penshaw in 1830, and I think the entry may be the one on 21 Mar 1830 in the Penshaw BTs - image no. 438 at FamilySearch. The father is Robert Hill, a pitman from Penshaw; the mother is Ann ?Burdess.

If that one's not right, Durham Records Online has other options. I'm not 100% sure, but I think "District" in their results relates to the registration district, even if not applicable to the date/type of record you're searching, and the more precise area has to be deduced from the right-hand column.

kernowmaid and GrannyBarb like this.
  4. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Thanks MollyMay & Arthur.

MM - The map on Genuki doesn't show South Hylton, so I'm unsure what else isn't there.

Arthur - Unfortunately not my Ann (her father was David), & she doesn't come up in a search, but thanks for the pointer to Durham Records Online.

I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time in "Pink Panther Country" - "Durham, Durham, Durham Durham Durham" ;)

Jane

GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.
  5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Curses!:(

South Hylton falls in the Sunderland registration district (I expect you know this:rolleyes:).
    these are the areas in that reg district, which might help (or not:()
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/sunderland.html

Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.
  6. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

This is a link to the South Hylton parish page on the Durham Records Office website. Among many other things, it tells you what records exist for that parish and which other parishes it was once part of / were created from it / were adjacent to it.
    Code:
    http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11113?SearchType=Param&Variations=N&Parish=South+Hylton+St.+Mary&OrderBy=NAME&ItemID=597903#detailAnchor

Their website is very useful, I find.

I hope this helps?

Sue

Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.