Colombus/Columbus family of Brisbane Queensland

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by crazycatlady22, Sep 25, 2014.

1. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

I am afraid that I am still going to need help with this one. I have purchased the death certificate which states that Joseph Christopher Columbus was 56 years old when he died on 28 July 1914 and that he was born Rome Italy. The wife's name and his address is the same as what I already have. Under the marriage section it is recorded that he and Kate were married for [it looks like 24 years], but I know for a fact that they were married 23 December 1882 in Brisbane. It also states that his father was Joseph Christopher Columbus [no mothers name mentioned unfortunately]. His fathers occupation is recorded as Clerk.

So, where do I go from here. I still cannot find any record of him ever arriving in Australia. The death Certificate says that he has lived in Queensland for about 30 years.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Don't forget that the information given on the death cert is information furnished by the informant. They can only give the information available to them!.
    You have the marriage details recorded, so obviously the informant was not aware of the facts. Same for his birth. Maybe they were also not fully aware of the facts surrounding that.

3. crazycatlady22

If he is on the Australian Electrol Roll, then he must have been an Australian Citizen. I cannot find a record of his Citizenship application or acceptance anywhere. Any suggestions of any other places that I could look.

4. Archie's Mum

Is he on the electoral roll?
    If he was born in a British Colony he would have been a British subject and not required to have taken out citizenship! I hope I have that correct. Different now of course!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. crazycatlady22

Yes, I have found him on the Electoral roll for 1903, 1905 and 1913 in Queensland. I just cannot think of any other place that I can find information on him. I have tried:
    National Archives - also asked the librarians for help
    National Library
    N.S.W. Archives
    N.S.W. Library
    Same for Queensland
    Checked Births Marriages and Deaths [have the marriage and death]
    Immigration Records
    familysearch
    Ancestry
    geaneanet
    Little Italy in N.S.W.
    Australian Newspapers
    I cannot think of the other places that I have searched.

I have a Naturalization Certificate for Joseph Colombo of Tabulam in N.S.W. Dated 5th August, 1898 but he is aged 54 years and his country of origin is France. I think that this is the same Joseph that I found on the immigrant list. His country of origin was France and he has no children with him when he arrived in 1876. He is not my Joseph. My Joseph was 56 when he died in 1914.

Any suggestions on where else I can look for information would be gratefully accepted. I feel that I have just run out of options.

6. Archie's Mum

I am wondering about the 2nd class steward in post #36.
    Although the ages and birth years are different on each arrival, he is looking, at least to me worth investigating. I believe it is the same person on each arrival.
    Two of those say he is French, the other is Canadian. Perhaps he is French Canadian.
    There are a few births listed on Family Search you may like to look at.

crazycatlady22 likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

The Corea arrived in Brisbane on 8/11/1880 from Thursday Island via Cooktown, Townsville and Mackay. On board was a C Columbus. Marked next to his name was Lic. 26/11/1880
    I have no idea if this could have been him nor what the license thing is all about.
    I'm thinking it may have something to do with cane cutting licenseso_O
    I'm just thinking outside an ever increasing circle!

crazycatlady22 likes this.
  8. crazycatlady22

Thank you very much. I didn't see the one for the Corea when I was looking at the passenger lists. I will also look at familysearch again.

9. crazycatlady22

I have just discovered that he was sentenced to 6 months hard labour in Miles for larceny and got a hard wood cutters licence. That could very well be what the licence number is. So, I think that he is my man. I have also just heard from someone who knows the history of Italy and it seems that parts of Italy were also know as being parts of France. Also, it seems that Rome could not be his place of birth because my man had a tattoo of Garibaldi on his arm, and the Romans hated Garibaldi. Little bits and pieces are coming together. Have to go now, big thunder storm!

Archie's Mum likes this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Great stuff. Lets hope you are getting somewhere now. I was a bit worried about the license thing as some others on another ship list from that area are noted as being natives and thought that they may have had to have a license to leave the island and work on the mainland. Which would rule out this Columbus as being yours. But a cutters license, it could be.
    Thanks for the warning. I can see the storm coming from the west over the mountain...looks a bit nasty. So will shut down when it gets closer. Only problem with this NBN is if you have to shut down the modem you have no landline.:mad: Thank heavens for the mobile.

11. Archie's Mum

Just heard someone on the radio in a tent at Blackheath and it's hailing. The local ducks have taken shelter with her :D

12. crazycatlady22

The storm is over, Wow, what a doozy it was as well. Now you have got me thinking Archie's Mum, because on one of the funderal notices I saw for Joseph Christopher Colombus, it mentioned that he was a member of the "Australian Natives .........Society". I cannot remember the rest and of course I cannot find the article now. I will have another look. Thanks a lot

13. Archie's Mum

The only thing I can find is The Australian Native Plants Society.
    Storm looks like it has passed us and gone over Windsor and Richmond way.

14. crazycatlady22

I found it. It was called "The Australian Natives Association" and has absolutely nothing to do with the original Native Australians. It was a friendly society that was all about the federation of the Australian States. It wasn't Joseph Christopher Colombus who was a member, it was one of his sons.

I am still not any closer to finding out how my Joseph Christopher Columbus got to Australia. On his Marriage and Death Certificate it states that he was born in Rome, BUT he has a tattoo of Garibaldi on his arm and Garibaldi was considered an enemy or Rome. It has me totally bamboozles. Oops gotta go. Lighting is getting to close.

15. Leakakaz

Leakakaz New Member

Hi, are you still looking for Kate? Which one

GrannyBarb likes this.