Comings and goings

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Nelli, May 28, 2020.

1. Nelli

Nelli Active Member

No, not *him* ;) I know people did indeed travel around in the past, probably more than we think, but I cannot reasonably reconcile how Thomas Mills, born 1625 in Walsall had parents that were born in Gloucestershire and the north Riding of Yorkshire, their marriage being listed in Britford, Wiltshire. Am I reasonable in my suspicions?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Nelli, all suspicions are reasonable, it enable us to prolong searches and check for other possibles. ;)

Sue036, Half Hour, Libby and 3 others like this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Absolutely ;)

Half Hour, Nelli and Daft Bat like this.
  4. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Clever title, Nelli ;)

Jane

Nelli likes this.
  5. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I think it depends. I have someone who traveled from Worcestershire to Manchester to marry, but that was in 1832 and his bride's family were originally from Worcestershire. It depends on who the people were, whether they had the money to travel or an occupation that made it likely, and whether there was a ready transport route (not always by road, travel on rivers or by sea was more common at times). If they were rich they might have met at a society gathering in London or at a spa town? North Yorkshire to Wiltshire IS quite a long way, though. So yes, be suspicious, but also look for reasons to rule it in or out as a possibility?

Nelli, AnnB, Sis and 2 others like this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

One of my ancestors Susanna Sturdy was baptised in 1739 in Nun Monkton (near York) Yorkshire, her next appearance was in 1766 when she married William Adams in Great Waltham Essex.

How that marriage came about I'll never know, what I do know is it wasn't because her family moved to Essex because both both her father and brother, at least, were buried in Yorkshire.

The proof that the Yorkshire Susanna Sturdy is the Susanna who married William Adams is cast iron.

Sue036, Nelli, MollyMay and 2 others like this.